• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 Formula One Thread

395916624_P2Pbs-L.jpg

A day the office for BMW. Kubica was strong in session one then went into the garage. Heidfeld had a good second session. Both seemed to be spending time working the two tire compounds on different loads.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Chinese GP - Practice
10-17-2008 Press Release
Weather: dry, sunshine and clouds, 24-26??C Air, 23-26??C Track

Shanghai (CN). On what was a technically trouble free Friday with two 90 minutes sessions, both BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers worked hard to improve the balance of their cars. However, there were mixed fortunes ÔÇô on the first day of the Chinese Grand Prix weekend Nick Heidfeld seemed to be happier than Robert Kubica.

Robert Kubica:
BMW Sauber F1.08-05 / BMW P86/8
1st Practice: 5th, 1:36.507 min / 2nd Practice: 12th, 1:36.775 min
ÔÇ£As usual on Friday, we did the tyre evaluation and worked on the set-up of the car. We tried all kinds of different things, but IÔÇÖm not happy yet with the balance of the car, and the overall level of grip is poor. We have to analyse the data carefully to make the right changes for tomorrow. There is still a lot of work to be done.ÔÇØ

Nick Heidfeld:
BMW Sauber F1.08-07 / BMW P86/8
1st Practice: 7th, 1:37.040 min / 2nd Practice: 9th, 1:36.553 min
ÔÇ£In the second session especially I was quite happy with the long runs, as well as with the single laps. We have done quite a lot of set-up changes in the course of the day and during both sessions. Not every step was one in the right direction, but we understood and learned a lot.ÔÇØ

Willy Rampf (Technical Director):
ÔÇØSo far it is hard to make a judgement on the performance here in Shanghai. Up to now we havenÔÇÖt found the perfect balance for both cars. With regard to the carÔÇÖs set-up, it is difficult to find a good compromise between both tyre compounds. We did a complete race distance with both cars today and gained a lot of valuable data, which we shall now evaluate. We had no technical problems.ÔÇØ

China GP 2008 ÔÇô Gallery

Qualifying - China GP 2008

Qualifying practice found Heidfeld and Kubica being the bread that sandwiched Hamilton. Heidfeld and his BMW were faster than Hamilton who had dominated all the practice sessions to this point with his McLaren. Hamilton had made it down into the 1:35s in previous sessions.

In the pre-qualifying session P1 and P16 were less than a second apart. Heidfeld had made the most progress in times before qualifying and was very happy with his car. Kubica was in his curmudgeonly form making incremental progress in his times. Both made big moves in where they were in the practice time field standings.

It is not qualifying but it has to give confidence going into the garage after practice to prepare for qualifying knowing that your cars have the speed. It portended a aggressive qualifying session.

Things were not so good for Weber. His engine blew in practice and was replaced. It does cost him a 10 spot grid penalty.

With the start of Qualifying everyone was out except BMW. They continue to wait until the half way point of a session to put a tire on the track. They must have their reasons but I do not see them.

Tire management is key to qualifying. Drivers must work them up to the proper temp on the track to get the most out of a compound. This always seems to be a problem for Heidfeld. For Kubica it is the last adjustments that must be made to get his car around on the very last flying lap to score his best session time.

Once again in China Heidfeld reversed the tables on his team mate coming out of Q 1 in sixth. Kubica did just enough to make it to Q2 and avoid relegation.

There is a potential cloud that hangs over BMW and Heidfeld. Coulthard may file a complaint with the Race Steward against Heidfeld. Coulthard is claiming that the BMW driver impeded him on his last flying lap in Q1 resulting in his failure to advance.

Q2 and the BMWs were the last cars out once again. For all that the morning practice session portended for qualifying the storyline did not play out. Heidfeld made it into Q1. Kubica was complaining about understeer and did not make it into Q3. This is only the second time and given his championship aspirations not the best time to fail to make it to qualifying.

Q3 saw a great deal of strategy play out. The end result is we have the same two on the front row to start the race. Heidfled sits in P7. If he keeps his head and starts well he could find himself with an opportunity similar to what Kubica had in Japan.

Kubica will move up one spot due to WeberÔÇÖs 10 position penalty. The grid position is poor but not the end of the world. Pit strategy will be very important to any chance the Pol will have during the race.

The grid listed is provisional. It does not reflect WeberÔÇÖs penalty and any other changes by the Race Stewards.

396495949_M3UY9-L.jpg

F-1 China

Hello Mika,
Thanks again for your great posts on F-1.
leeines

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Chinese GP – Qualifying
10-18-2008 Press Release
Weather: dry, 27-28??C Air, 34-36??C Track

Shanghai (CN). Mixed feelings for the BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers in qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai. Nick Heidfeld was rather happy with his car and took seventh place, while his team mate, Robert Kubica, struggled with the balance of his car and wasn’t able to do any better than 12th.

Nick Heidfeld:
Qualifying 7th, 1.37.201 min (3. Training: 1st, 1.36.061 min)
“I think this was the best I could manage today, and I’m glad the positive trend in qualifying I had in the last three races has continued. I feel sorry for Robert. Apparently he struggled here and this grid position reduces his championship chances, but certainly we’ll never give up.”

Robert Kubica:
Qualifying 12th, 1:35.814 min in Q2 (3rd Practice: 3rd, 1:36.150 min)
“A very disappointing qualifying! I was struggling with the balance of the car all weekend. We made some changes before qualifying, but they had a negative effect. The car was difficult to drive and I couldn’t push as I wanted. I expect a tough race because now we are not allowed to change the set-up.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
“That was a disappointing qualifying for Robert and the whole team, especially because he didn’t progress from Q2. Throughout the whole weekend Robert has not been happy with the balance of his car, and this did not change in qualifying. The only advantage in this situation is we can choose our own strategy for Robert tomorrow. From the team’s point of view we are relying on Nick for our chances. He did a good job in Qualifying and managed to set the seventh best time.”

“The result is obviously not what we were hoping for. With Robert we were not able to bring the good result from the third free practice into qualifying, which meant he was unhappy with the balance of his car and only ended up 12th. Nick did a good job and qualified where we expected him to be.”
BMW Sauber F1 Team - Chinese GP – Qualifying[/b]
10-18-2008 Press Release
Weather: dry, 27-28??C Air, 34-36??C Track

Shanghai (CN). Mixed feelings for the BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers in qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai. Nick Heidfeld was rather happy with his car and took seventh place, while his team mate, Robert Kubica, struggled with the balance of his car and wasn’t able to do any better than 12th.

Nick Heidfeld:
Qualifying 7th, 1.37.201 min (3. Training: 1st, 1.36.061 min)
“I think this was the best I could manage today, and I’m glad the positive trend in qualifying I had in the last three races has continued. I feel sorry for Robert. Apparently he struggled here and this grid position reduces his championship chances, but certainly we’ll never give up.”

Robert Kubica:
Qualifying 12th, 1:35.814 min in Q2 (3rd Practice: 3rd, 1:36.150 min)
“A very disappointing qualifying! I was struggling with the balance of the car all weekend. We made some changes before qualifying, but they had a negative effect. The car was difficult to drive and I couldn’t push as I wanted. I expect a tough race because now we are not allowed to change the set-up.”

“That was a disappointing qualifying for Robert and the whole team, especially because he didn’t progress from Q2. Throughout the whole weekend Robert has not been happy with the balance of his car, and this did not change in qualifying. The only advantage in this situation is we can choose our own strategy for Robert tomorrow. From the team’s point of view we are relying on Nick for our chances. He did a good job in Qualifying and managed to set the seventh best time.”

“The result is obviously not what we were hoping for. With Robert we were not able to bring the good result from the third free practice into qualifying, which meant he was unhappy with the balance of his car and only ended up 12th. Nick did a good job and qualified where we expected him to be.”

[url=http://m1ka.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=6275883&AlbumKey=SyxF6]Chinese GP Shanghai

formula1.com: Heidfeld hit with three position penatly - revised grid

Stewards did side with Coulthard. Crazy weekend for BMW.

BMW's take on thier situation before the race.
Nick Heidfeld will start this year's Chinese Grand Prix ninth. Despite starting from eleventh position on the grid, a glance at the 2008 season record book demonstrates that Robert can secure a good result nonetheless.

- Having secured ninth position on the grid, Nick will start the 17th Grand Prix of the season from row five, alongside Nelson Piquet jr (Renault). Meanwhile, Robert will share row six with Toyota's Timo Glock. Both BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers gained a position, compared to their qualifying results, as Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber - who qualified sixth - received a ten-position grid penalty for an engine change.

- In the Chinese Grands Prix Nick has contested as BMW Sauber F1 Team driver to date, the 31-year old has always qualified eighth and finished seventh.

- Although only eleventh on the grid, Robert can also achieve a good race result. Only once in his career to date, in the 2008 Italian Grand Prix, has he held this position on the grid - and he made it to the podium by finishing third.

- In the team-internal qualifying battle of the BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers, Nick has reduced Robert's lead to 13:4.

- At Shanghai, Robert is contesting his 39th Formula One race, while for Nick it's his 151st Grand Prix.

- With our "Race Updates" we will keep you informed about what is going on at Shanghai. To get these short updates, please click "GP China" in the "Season 2008" section of this website.

A lap of Shanghai with Robert Kubica

<object width="425" height="271"><param name="FlashVars" value="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=ceaCSrI"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=ceaCSrI" /><embed src="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=ceaCSrI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="271" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=ceaCSrI"></embed></object>

Technical development from Formula1.com

BMW Sauber F1.08: Front wind development

Ferrari F2008: revised sidepod winglets

Ferrari F2008: rear diffuser development

397257094_zxpiM-L.jpg

The fight for the driver’s championship goes to Brazil with only Hamilton and Massa in contention.

BMW placed well running a bit boring but consistent race strategy. They moved their drivers up and kept them out of trouble.

Constructor Championship Standings

Driver Championship Standings

Off to bed - I am going ridding latter today.

Chinese GP 2008 Gallery

BMW sauber F1 Team - Chinese GP - Race
10-19-2008 Press Release
Weather: dry and overcast, 27??C Air, 28-31??C Track

Shanghai (CN). Both BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers put in strong race performances in the Chinese Grand Prix. Nick Heidfeld started ninth and improved to fifth, while Robert Kubica was eleventh on the grid and finished sixth. However, a further seven points for the BMW Sauber F1 Team and three points for Robert in today’s race were not enough to keep the outsiders championship chances alive.

Nick Heidfeld: 5th
Fastest lap 1:36.498 min on lap 56 (3rd fastest overall)
“I’m quite happy with today’s race. At the start I gained positions and in corner two I overtook Sebastian Vettel on the outside. He touched the rear of my car, but he has already told me it wasn’t on purpose and, anyway, nothing happened. So after a few corners I was sixth again – just where I thought I would start from after qualifying. Later in the race I reduced the engine revs to save it for Brazil. It is a fact we now don’t have any hopes of claiming the constructors’ title, and neither can Robert win the drivers’ championship. But we shouldn’t be too disappointed, the team has had a fantastic third season, and Robert especially had a very good year. It’s not over yet.”

Robert Kubica: 6th
Fastest lap 1:36.854 min on lap 56 (7th fastest overall)
“After a very difficult qualifying I’m pleased with sixth. I made up a position at the start and then another two when Jarno Trulli and S?®bastien Bourdais touched in the first corner. The balance of the car was still not good in the first two stints, and it only changed in the final stint after we changed to the softer compound. There is now one race left, and I shall try hard to defend my third place in the drivers’ championship.”

“Coming fifth and sixth is a good outcome after yesterday’s disappointing qualifying. Both drivers put in the ground work for this result at the start, and after that drove fine races without any mistakes. The strategy was good, all pit stops worked out perfectly, and we had no technical problems.”

Willy Rampf (Technischer Director):
“If you start from ninth and 11th on the grid and finish the race fifth and sixth you do have to be satisfied. The drivers gained three positions each right at the start. Robert, in particular, reacted perfectly when a car spun right in front of him. During the race both drivers were doing well with the strategy. Thank you to the whole team for the good work, especially during all the pit stops.”

The FIA released the following statement with no further comment.

Joint FIA and FOTA Statement
21/10/2008
TodayÔÇÖs meeting in Geneva has produced significant cost savings for 2009 and 2010.

FOTA are working urgently on further proposals for 2010 and thereafter.

The meeting agenda was published yesterday with along with a explanatory note.

The FIA released the following statement with no further comment.

Joint FIA and FOTA Statement
21/10/2008
Today’s meeting in Geneva has produced significant cost savings for 2009 and 2010.

FOTA are working urgently on further proposals for 2010 and thereafter.

The meeting agenda was published yesterday with along with a explanatory note.

Sounds like a Formula 1 "spec" car. Wow! Bernie E. must be afraid his F1 golden goose might die.

Last edited:
The fight for the driver’s championship goes to Brazil with only Hamilton and Massa in contention.

So, with a 7 point deficit, Massa has to win or place second, and Lewis . . . well, he has to pull a Lewis! Should be exciting. We'll all be watching Turn 1.

I have had a chance to read the notes and a few blogs. Here is my take on the FIA FOTA meeting notes.

The explanatory notes for the meeting between the FIA and FOTA seem to offer a mixed bag to BMW, at least from a BMW Sauber F1 observer.

Engines

Option 1: BMW, in its various efforts over the years, has been a Formula 1 engine supplier until its purchase in the controlling interest in Sauber. A standardized engine provided by a third party seems to eliminate any justification, rationalization or fantasy BMW uses to explain dumping the buckets of money it undoubted does into the F-1 racing efforts.

Option 2: This option seems to allow BMW to continue to build a highly scrutinized and tested engine. The devil is always in the detail but where are the savings? Development and production costs remain while complying with even more regulation.

Option 3: This option seems to offer the best of many worlds. BMW would become a builder supplier in this option. The supply of engines would go to teams such as Red Bull, Toro Rossi, Force India and hopefully new teams. The companies who are engine manufacturers would supply the non manufacturer teams with engines. The down side to this option is being a manufacture for others, meeting dead lines for design, production and delivery while doing the same for your own racing team. Ferrari and possibly McLaren would seem to keep their advantage in this case. They are the ones that have been doing this the longest and are geared to it. Honda and Renault are suppliers but their success problems and the lack of success to the teams supplied seem to point to the difficulty of pulling this off in the real world.

Chassis

The chassis proposal is where the field gets leveled. Ferrari has been at chassis development the longest. McLaren is only rivaled by Ferrari in its chassis expertise. Chassis development is perhaps even harder than engine development and is what separates McLaren and Ferrari from all the rest including BMW. BMW would gain ground with respect to those two and loose ground to the others. However; this would put the focus back on BMW engines which is where I think they would like it.

Racing Rules

FIX the safety car ÔÇô pit stop ÔÇô and qualifying issues before you KILL SOMEONE. The three elements are intertwined. In the current form it is a question of when not if someone will be killed. The potential of a conflagration that would engulf multiple teams and potentially fans is to0 real to ignore. The rest of the paragraph on regulations seems to be fluff by comparison.

I could be way off base in my interpretation; it wouldnÔÇÖt be the first time. I am curious what your takes are.

The Brazilian GP

Turn 1 could be very interesting along with many others.

The race has a history of being dangerous on and off the track.

On the track fight baselines were set by Montoya and Schumacher or Prost and Senna for example. With the current rankor a new low could be set that eliminates both.

Off the track team cars, caravans and other things have been stolen, team members mugged and more. One has to hope an off track off site incident doesn't decide the champioship.

It should be interesting.

Take the ING F1 survey and your registered to win F1 Gear

ING F1 Racing Magazine Global Fan Survey 2008

Have your say on the future of F1

2008 is turning into a classic year of grand prix motor racing - and now it's time for you to get involved.

The Global Fan Survey carried out by ING and F1 Racing magazine is the only worldwide poll of grand prix fans. The survey offers you a unique opportunity to share your opinions on everything from your favourite drivers to next year's exciting new rule changes with the key decision makers of the sport.

The results will be published later this year.

The survey won't take you long, and when you're finished we will enter you into an exclusive competition to win a crash helmet signed by one of this year's star drivers, or one of 50 packs of F1 team gear. Good luck!

http://www.ingf1racingmagazinefansurvey.com/survey.aspx

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Brazilian GP - Preview

10-24-2008 Press Release
31st October ÔÇô 2nd November 2008
18th and final World Championship race

Munich/Hinwil, 24th October 2008. Rarely has a season been so unpredictable. Fears of humdrum afternoons were dispelled as thrilling battles unfolded; while where high drama was expected, an orderly procession ensued. On 2nd November one of the most exciting Formula One seasons on record will go down to the wire in S?úo Paulo. All we know for certain is both the DriversÔÇÖ and ConstructorsÔÇÖ World Championships will be decided at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Although still in its early years on the grid, the BMW Sauber F1 Team retained an outside chance of claiming both titles right up to the 17th of 18 World Championship races. A one two, a total of 11 podium finishes, one pole position and two fastest race laps, as well as 100% technical reliability and the fastest pit stops on the grid, have so far provided the success stories in the teamÔÇÖs third season.

Robert Kubica goes into the final race of 2008 determined to hold onto his third place in the driversÔÇÖ standings. But that is no easy task, with the Ferrari of reigning World Champion and last yearÔÇÖs Brazilian Grand Prix winner, Kimi R?ñikk?Ânen, lurking six points behind him. Nick Heidfeld lies fifth in the standings, nine points behind the Finn and seven ahead of RenaultÔÇÖs resurgent Fernando Alonso.

The ConstructorsÔÇÖ Championship could also see further shifts in position. The BMW Sauber F1 Team is currently third on 135 points, ten points behind McLaren Mercedes. In 2007 the BMW Sauber F1 Team collected 101 points in 17 World Championship races.

While Heidfeld will line up at Interlagos with the same powertrain as in China, Kubica is due both a new engine and gearbox. The two drivers have been out of sync in this respect since the first race of the season, when KubicaÔÇÖs F1.08 was rear-ended in the Australian Grand Prix.

Before setting off for Brazil, the teamÔÇÖs drivers and management are scheduled to make a pit stop in Munich. Kubica is visiting the BMW plants in Landshut and Dingolfing today (Friday), then on Saturday he and Heidfeld, the test drivers Christian Klien and Marko Asmer, plus Mario Theissen, Willy Rampf and Peter Sauber will all be attending the BMW Sauber F1 Team Race Club Fan Event in and around the BMW branch in Fr?Âttmaning. Around 1,000 members of the fan club came to last yearÔÇÖs get-together in Munich. The highlight of the event will once again be the demo runs with the Formula One car on a sealed-off road.

Nick Heidfeld:
ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm pleased for the fans, but also personally, that we have an exciting finale to the World Championship. Plus, IÔÇÖm curious to see whether the track is still the same as it was in 2007. That was a nice surprise, as the trackÔÇÖs surface used to be really bad and very bumpy. It was always being patched up, but it was only when the track was re-asphalted ahead of the 2007 Grand Prix that it really became a good surface. The layout of the Interlagos track is excellent and very demanding on the drivers ÔÇô not least, of course, as far as our neck muscles are concerned. I think S?úo PauloÔÇÖs pretty cool as a city, but at the back of your mind are always the stories about muggings and you hear about that sort of thing every year.ÔÇØ

Robert Kubica:
ÔÇ£Brazil is traditionally the final race of the season, and Interlagos is a very demanding and interesting circuit. My first race there was in 2002 in Formula Renault, and IÔÇÖve been back with the BMW Sauber F1 Team for the last two years. Interlagos is physically very tiring because we drive the circuit anticlockwise. ThatÔÇÖs something weÔÇÖre not used to, and we feel it especially in the neck. IÔÇÖm currently third in the driversÔÇÖ standings, six points in front of Kimi, and, of course, itÔÇÖs my aim to defend this position.ÔÇØ

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
ÔÇ£The 2008 Formula One season is now going onto the finishing straight. In 2007 the outcome of the title was only decided in a thrilling final race in Brazil. Perhaps the Formula One fans will also get to enjoy a similarly exciting finale this year. Two drivers still have a chance of becoming World Champion in S?úo Paulo.

ÔÇ£The Interlagos circuit has many different aspects, and the weather can also be unpredictable. The long, uphill start-finish straight places particularly heavy loads on the engines. This uphill section also makes the start extremely exciting. Another of its characteristic is the altitude of S?úo Paulo. The thin air means that the engines generate approximately eight percent lower output than at sea level. We are very much looking forward to the final race of 2008 and are aiming to record another good result to round off the season.

ÔÇ£This is the final race in what has been our most successful season since the launch of the BMW Sauber F1 Team. We have achieved our ambitious aims for the third year in succession. We not only proved to be one of the top teams from the outset, we also recorded our maiden race win. It was all the sweeter, of course, that our success in Canada came in the form of a one two. As things stand, we have now had 11 podium finishes this year, compared with two in 2007. This statistic alone is evidence of the considerable steps forward we have made.

ÔÇ£Added to that, Nick brought us our first fastest race lap in Malaysia, Robert claimed our first pole position in Bahrain, and weÔÇÖve now scored points in 34 consecutive races, something no other team can match. The last time we went home empty-handed from a GP weekend was in Brazil in the final race of 2006. This achievement does not come down to chance. Our trump cards this season have been spotless reliability, our ÔÇô for the most part ÔÇô excellent race strategy, outstanding work in the pit stops and a very small number of mistakes from the drivers.

ÔÇ£In terms of pure performance, we still have ground to make up on Ferrari and McLaren Mercedes, and we didnÔÇÖt make the progress we hoped to in the second half of the season. Indeed, some of our development projects did not yield the expected performance gains on the track. But I am certain we shall learn the lessons from this for 2009. After all, we want to be up there fighting for the World Championship title next season.ÔÇØ

Willy Rampf, Technical Director:
ÔÇ£For us, the Brazilian Grand Prix represents the end of a highly successful season, and of course we want to round the year off on a positive note. Interlagos is one of the few circuits ÔÇô alongside Istanbul Park and Singapore ÔÇô which we drive anticlockwise. Here, the middle sector is critical, with one corner following the next. The key elements are good traction and car balance. Top speed is important in the first and third sectors, with engine output playing a particularly prominent role on the uphill start-finish straight. This section also offers a good overtaking opportunity, as does the end of the straight in sector one. The track was resurfaced in 2007, which evened out a lot of bumps. In contrast to last year, when we opted for the softest tyre option, this time around weÔÇÖll be using the medium compounds.ÔÇØ

History and background:
Paulista coffee plantations laid the foundations for the economic growth of the region around S?úo Paulo in south-eastern Brazil. The industrialisation of the late 19th century brought riches, but these have been spread unevenly among the population. Today, the people of S?úo Paulo suffer from the effects of jarring social disparities ÔÇô bitter poverty and immense wealth exist side by side and crime is rife. The city of S?úo Paulo, founded in 1554, is the capital of the Brazilian state that bears its name and the countryÔÇÖs financial and trading hub. The size of the local population can only be estimated. Eleven million people are thought to live in the city itself, 20 million in the wider S?úo Paulo area. The climate is subtropical.

F1 has been hosted by Brazil since 1973, and 2008 marks the countryÔÇÖs 36th Grand Prix. The debut event was held at Interlagos, with the track still covering 7.96 kilometres at the time and located outside the S?úo Paulo city limits. The city has since mushroomed right up to the outskirts of the race track. In 1978 the Brazilian GP was hosted by the Jacarepagua circuit near Rio de Janeiro for the first time, and it was held there on ten occasions in all. In 1990 F1 returned to Interlagos, where the Brazilian GP has been staged ever since.

Brazilian GP - Practice

Brazilian GP – Gallery

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Brazilian GP - Practice
10-31-2008 Press Release
Weather: overcast, some raindrops, 17??C Air, 21-22??C Track

Interlagos (BR). Despite some drops of rain, the very last Friday sessions of the 2008 Formula One season went smoothly for the BMW Sauber F1 Team. Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld completed their respective programmes in preparation for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Robert Kubica:
1st Practice: 4th, 1:12.874 min / 2nd Practice: 12th, 1:12.971 min
“This was a usual Friday and we finished our scheduled programme. We did some basic set-up work and evaluated the different tyre compounds. At the end of both the sessions there was drizzle in some of the corners. However, the few drops did not really influence the grip. We shall now analyse the data we collected today.”

Nick Heidfeld:
1st Practice: 9th, 1:13.426 min / 2nd Practice: 13th, 1:13.038 min
“After being really unhappy with the balance of the car in the first session, we improved it for the afternoon, but I still find the car difficult to drive. Because of the weather the programme was a little bit different to normal, but we have enough information to work on further improvements. The track isn’t as good as it was after it was freshly resurfaced last year, but it is still far better than it used to be! I would say it is on the same level as other Grand Prix circuits.”

“It was a normal first practice day. Although the light rain started at exactly the moment we did the tyre comparison, despite this we collected enough data for us now to be able to analyse. We presume the weather could give us some surprises throughout the whole weekend.”

A lap of Sao Paulo with Robert Kubica

<object width="425" height="271"><param name="FlashVars" value="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=zSQWtCb"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=zSQWtCb" /><embed src="http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=zSQWtCb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="271" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/en/stage/playerxml?items%5B0%5D=zSQWtCb"></embed></object>

BRAZILAIN GP Qualifying and Race Info

FIM.com: The circuit information

weather.com: Sau Paulo Brazil

FRIDAY: Practices Times
Session 1
Session 2

SATURDAY:
Practice
QUALIFYING

STANDINGS
Team
Driver

Massa takes the pole with TrulliÔÇÖs Toyota alongside. Hamilton in P4 on the outside of Kimi Raikkonen make up row two.

Heidfeld starts in P8 for BMW and his team mate Kubica did not make it out of Q2 and into Q3 stats in P13!

The weather prediction is for rain on Sunday. The announcers are all second guessing pit strategy. How light cars are run will make a difference in the order through turn 1. Turn 1 will be important as ever but the Formula1 starting fight at Interlogos is not over until you get through the third corner.

Getting to left hand turn 1 first is always important; however, at Interlogos it is a relatively shot shoot to right hand turn 2. Your win in turn 1 can quick be taken away by the guy in P2 as you fight your way through the second turn and he is better set up for it and keeps you to the outside. This fight takes you to the sweeping left that is turn three and sets you up to take control of the race in the first real straight.

BMW is not placed well. Heidfeld starts in P8 and lines up on the dirty side of the track. His challenge will be to negotiate the pile of cars in front of him through the first three corners. The moving pile, if everyone makes it through cleanly or more importantly not getting caught up in a crash in the first lap.

Kubica starts in P13 on the preferred inside line. The drivers that surround him are use to this portion of the starting grid and will not do anything particularly stupid in an effort to miraculously advance at the start. KubicaÔÇÖs challenge is how much ground can he make up on the starting straight and where does he stand as he enters turn 1. Turn 1 is the most important issue for him than other drivers in his hopes for getting a podium finish for the driverÔÇÖs title this year.

Qualifying was completed in dry conditions. The prediction is for a 80% chance of rain on Sunday.

I know you are just joking but, do NOT bite the hand that feeds you!
:nono

:D

I am starting to think that you are tied into the military grade super computers that the F1 teams have. The Q's just ended and you have the results up already.

Do you have any information on the drag and wind dynamics analysis with todays changes or are the engineers not in agreement yet ? :wave Is it to early to ask for tomorrows agenda ?

:hide

Brazilian Grand Prix ÔÇô Gallery

Heidfeld sixth on Brazilian Grand Prix grid

Mixed emotions for the BMW Sauber F1 Team: While Nick Heidfeld delivered in solid style to secure eighth on the Brazilian GP grid, Robert Kubica encountered another difficult qualifying session. The Pole had to make do with 13th.

In the first knockout phase of qualifying, both BMW Sauber F1 Team drivers easily advanced to Q2. Both drivers went out twice and both set their personal best times on their second runs. Nick crossed the line in 1:12.371 minutes to finish ninth, while Robert was exactly one hundredth-of-a-second slower than his team-mate. With his 1:12.381-minute lap, he secured tenth. The fastest time of Q1, a 1:11.830-minute lap, was set by Ferrari's local hero, Felipe Massa.

Eliminated: Kazuki Nakajima, Jenson Button, Nico Rosberg, Giancarlo Fisichella and Adrian Sutil.

While Nick had no problems advancing to the top-ten shootout, Q2 meant the end of Robert's qualifying efforts. On his first run, the 23-year-old set a 1:12.300-minute lap to finish twelfth, while on his second he failed to improve. At the end of day he finished 13th. Nick, however, delivered in impressive style. At the second split time of his first flying lap the German even was the quickest of the entire field. When he crossed the line in 1:12.026 minutes he held sixth. Nick also went out for a second run but aborted it when it became obvious that none of the drivers behind him would be able to go faster. This time, McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen was the quickest, setting a 1:11.768-minute lap.

Eliminated: Nelson Piquet, Mark Webber, Robert Kubica, David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello.

Having been 1.2 seconds slower than in Q2, Nick had to settle for qualifying eight. On his first run, the 31-year-old set a 1:13.603-minute lap, while on his second he improved to 1:13.297. Eighth position on the grid should allow Nick to add more points to his and the BMW Sauber F1 Team's tallies. Pole position was secured by Massa, while the Brazilian's World Championship rival, McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, had to settle for fourth on the grid.

Result: 1st Felipe Massa, 2nd Jarno Trulli, 3rd Kimi R?ñikk?Ânen, 4th Lewis Hamilton, 5th Heikki Kovalainen, 6th Fernando Alonso, 7th Sebastian Vettel, 8th Nick Heidfeld, 9th S?®bastien Bourdais, 10th Timo Glock.

Reactions to qualifying sessions

While Nick Heidfeld made it easily into the top ten and qualified eighth for the Brazilian Grand Prix, Robert Kubica struggled with a lack of grip and dropped out in the second part of qualifying. The Pole only qualified 13th in Interlagos.

Nick Heidfeld: "Qualifying was okay for me. In Q3 I thought in the end I could have improved more than the three tenths of a second I managed from the harder to the softer compound, but I have to say it was a good lap and I just couldn't do any better. I really hope for a good race tomorrow."

Robert Kubica: "This is obviously not the best position for tomorrow's race. This is the second weekend in a row that I have been struggling with the overall grip of the car. Starting from so far behind will make the race very difficult for me."

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director): "Traditionally on this track the time differences in qualifying are very close. Sometimes five or six cars are within one tenth of a second. A driver who is not able to fully exploit the potential there and then will find himself on the back of the grid. We are not happy with our result and, especially for Robert, the situation is not easy for the race. He has been suffering from lack of grip throughout the whole weekend, and we did not completely solve the problem in qualifying. Nick did better and set the eighth quickest time. Only tomorrow when we get to the first set of pit stops shall we see what we can do from here."

Willy Rampf (Technical Director): "We cannot be happy with our qualifying. Robert did not make it beyond Q2. Ten cars were within three tenths of a second, so with only the slightest mistake one is out. Nick did better. Our goal is now to make up a few positions."

Statdawg ÔÇô no tie in to military super computers, like many F-1 teams finally figured out how to use some of the power I had during the season finally for the last race.
:blush

Mika,
I had heard that Mc Claren was to run a new rear wing this weekend.
Is this in fact true and, do you have any pics?

Thanks!!!

:bow

Back