• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 1200C Montauk Running rich

kconant

Here For A Good Time!
I need some help here guys,
A friend brought his 1200C Montauch over to me this weekend to see if I could help him figure out why he can't keep it running. He rode to Lowes a month ago, bike ran fine on the way there. When he came back out to go home the battery was dead and it wouldn't start. He tird to jump it off a car and it would not even turn over so he trailered it home. Put a new battery in a few weeks later and it fired right up but wouldn't idle and ran like crap.
First thing I did was adjust the valves, hadn't been done in 2 years. When I pulled the plugs(primarys) they were both black with carbon. Valves were pretty close, just dialed them in a little. I then cleaned and oiled the air filter(K&N). It was time but not real dirty. Then I pulled the O2 censor and wire brushed that and cleaned it up and reinstalled. I started it up and it ran pretty good but had a low and rough idle. I ran a few ounces of Sea Foam through each TB tube (these bikes have one common TB under the air box for both sides) let it sit for an hour and then took it out for a ride.
I got it to operating temp and took it for a good brisk ride running it hard up through the gears several times and it ran strong and idled smoothly after several miles. Put it back on the lift in the shop and the plugs were clean and dry. Started it up and it would sit and idle. My friend came to the house that night and rode it home, ran great for 4-5 miles and the quit twice on him in the next few miles. He could smell the unburned gas as he rode and when he got home he couldn't park it in the garage it stunk so bad.
Any clues or suggestions as to what we should be looking at next or what might be malfunctioning.
i appreciate any help we can get!
Kim:scratch:scratch

Kim -

Sorry I can't help any. But wanted to let you know that I changed the thread title spelling for the model...probably will help in future searches.

Chromeheads.org

kconant

1st things 1st: I'm moving to Clemson to be near a friend like you :wave

The best advice I can give you is go to the chromeheads.org site. It's a site dedicated to these machines. A search there may uncover some specific ideas and a post will get you the information you need. MANY great resources willing to help (just like here!).

If the mixture seems to be wandering to the rich side I would suspect the O2 sensor. You can monitor its output with a GS911.

Are there any mods in addition to the filter? Pipes, fuel controller, etc?

Our riding group, the UTURNGANG, about 10 of us on 7 different model BMW's and a couple of other brands use my garage as a general maintenance and repair facility. I have the lift, tools and just enough knowledge to get me in and out of trouble most of the time:)!
The bike is a 2004/2005 Montauck with a performance chip and a after market exhaust. I was suspect of the O2 sensor immediately so that was the first move I made to clean and inspect it. Without a 911 tool I have no way to check to see what codes it is showing. That is most likely my next tool purchase.
I appreciate the info and suggestions guys and I will get on chromeheads.org and do some more research.

Here is to the Red, White and Blue! Happy 4th of July guys!

Back