• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 R1100RT fairing side panel screws

littledog

I am having a problem reinstalling the fairing side panel screws after removal for several tasks(fuel filter relocation, throttle body sync, and installation of an AF-XIED. My problem is with the three top screws on each side of the fuel tank. These screws go through the side panel, then through tabs on the fuel tank top cover, and then screw into the fuel tank. The tabs on the top cover aren't aligned with the holes in the fuel tank. Seems like the top cover shrank. Maybe all the rain we have had in Colorado lately. I tried removing the fuel filler cap screws to free up the top cover and checked for any obstructions, but the tabs are still +1/8 inch out of line. I did manage to get three screws in on one side but now the other side is even worse. I thought some of you who had taken the tupperware off numerous times might have some tricks to share. A minor issue but frustrating. I have two K bikes, 85 and 91 that I have taken apart numerous times without any issues like this.

You most likely had the fuel tank off. The fuel tank will move for and aft a little. Try loosening the one bolt that fastens it and moving the whole tank.

You may need to elongate the tupperware holes with a fine file as these tanks were never designed for alcohol in the fuel - it expands the tank plastic over time.

I think you may be right. The top cover, like I said, seems like it shrank..I never thought about the fuel tank growing, and it seems like it not only got wider, but also longer because the hole are misaligned in both directions. What a pita. Give me my good old K's with their steel tanks. And the ethanol in our fuel is another...... Anyway, thanks for the insight.

I actually started a thread on this very same subject about a year ago, after experiencing the exact same thing. Took the tuperware off, (R1100RT) and the tank holes were way off when I went to put it back on about a week later. Hours of frustrating work to try and get the screws back in properly, with no luck of course. I couldn't believe it. I can't remember all the replies that people offered as to why this happens, but I do recall that I wasn't the first person to have this happen. I believe I finally gave up and did as a few suggest, got out the Dremel tool and elongated a few of the holes slightly. Go carefully, and slowly, as it doesn't actually take very much to get it to fit again. You hate to do that to that beautiful, and very pricey piece of plastic, but you don't have much choice. If you do a minimum of cutting, you can't tell it's been done once it's all back together. Mine now goes on and off pretty easily, using a small drift. So will yours. I would say "good luck, but it's more patience than luck.

Oh, and I always have a heavy bath towel draped over the rest of the tank when working on it, to protect that finish from inadvertently dropped tools.

Today that is exactly what I did. Got out the dremel and elongated the holes. Just as you said, it didn't take much and the side covers are back on. I find it really interesting that the alcohol/ethanol in our fuel actually expands the fuel tank enough to create this problem,but I do not doubt it. Thanks to all for the information.

I had the same problem after I removed the fuel tank. Turned out that the tank was in a different position when I put it back on. I loosened the rear mounting bolt then put the left side panel on then moved the tank until the holes lined up then carefully tighten the tank bolt. My 03 has the pointed panel screws and that helps. I also use a small hex wrench to gently locate the tank holes into position.

I didnt elongate a single hole. I dont think the shop elongates holes after doing the brake flush on the servo brake module.

My problem was as much with the cover over the tank. Even though I did not remove this part the tabs were definitely out of alignment. After elongating the holes on the top cover the rest of the screws went in easily. From jconway607's post it sounds like this is a fairly common problem. It would be interesting to know how a BMW shop deals with this. Does anybody know?

Yes, it's that cover over the tank, that as Littledog states, isn't taken off the tank, and which theoretically is in the exact same position, that drives you crazy. The rest of the 19 or so screws are not a problem. I'd love to have BMW techs explain the magic involved in that.

I think one big change BMW made was to start making the panel mounting screws with a pointed end, as PAS says he has on his '03. That helps a lot to get these things back together. I'm guessing the service people at the dealerships had the same problem as we do getting these panels back on, and were spending too much time (money) on the job. BMW changed the design of the screws.

Loosening the rear tank mounts was mentioned in my thread as helpful, but as I recall, it didn't seem to alleviate the 1/8-1/4" shift I had in the panel to hole alignment on some of the holes.

I go with the round file

Have had the Tupperware off many times; each time it goes back on, I end up wrestling with those damn screws. Thought about getting a set of stainless but they have a flat top on the thread end and are even harder to reinstall. Also, too many of them; 19 per side-Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze!
Best,

Will

Back