• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 R1100R Clutch Switch Removal

lvgs

Like many, the clutch switch on my R1100R has failed. I have read several threads, primarily related to the RT, on how to remove the switch. The consensus is to clip the wires and use a thin walled, deep 11mm socket. Unfortunately, I have had no luck as the 12 pt deep socket I am using will not even 'bite' the nut as it is too deeply recessed in the curved handle bar. I don't know whether the handle bars are different, but its not oblivious how to get the socket in there.

I've had one serious incident in heavy traffic when the bike stalled and I couldn't find neutral...not fun! Any advice on how best to remove the switch and replace with a new one would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Need more info....
Is it that the socket won't fit over the hex? or?

Like the 11 mm socket, it simply won't go down deep enough to bite the head. I will take a pic that will hopefully describe the situation better than I have been able to.

Sometimes when I've had this happen, when a socket just isn't deep enough, I can make it work by not fully engaging the extension from the ratchet head. The male end of the extension has a sprung-ball which is supposed to snap into the socket itself. But that end of the extension will fit into the socket enough to possibly get enough bite to turn the socket and loosen the nut in question. Of course, it's necessary to monitor that to be sure the extension doesn't slip out. If the nut is really tight or takes a lot of torque, then this probably is not a good idea. But worth checking...

...when a socket just isn't deep enough, I can make it work by not fully engaging the extension from the ratchet head. The male end of the extension has a sprung-ball which is supposed to snap into the socket itself. But that end of the extension will fit into the socket enough to possibly get enough bite to turn the socket and loosen the nut in question...

Thanks Kurt, I did as you suggested using a standard socket i.e. after (re)moving the lever assembly to give me more room, and it worked!

Now, I just have install the new switch and put everything back together again.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

I was robbing a working switch from one bike to install on another so cutting the wires wouldn't work for me. I ended up using a 1/4" drive 11mm deep craftsman socket and I cut a slot down the side to clear the wires, like an 02 sensor socket. It can be a bit snug to get in place, but it works. I ground down the OD in a few places as well to gain some clearance.

Back