• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT Radio - anyone know how it works? have a PDF of the operation manual ?

vanive

HiYa

I just purchased a 1996 R1100RT and having gone thru the manual and looked on line -

I still can't figure out how to turn the radio on/off while riding.

Seems strange that BMW would design a radio that required opening the glovebox to turn it on/off while riding , if anyone knows, that sure would be swell !

I removed mine many years ago but as I remember yes you have to turn it on/off at the radio. The handle bar controls control volume and channel selection. I wear full face helmet and prefer to use a Bluetooth speaker. It also gives you a nice space to store stuff.

I removed mine many years ago but as I remember yes you have to turn it on/off at the radio. The handle bar controls control volume and channel selection. I wear full face helmet and prefer to use a Bluetooth speaker. It also gives you a nice space to store stuff.
+1. You also need a secret code to get it to work if disconnected. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will get stolen. Take it out and you'll have a handy locking glove box.

I have my compressor, registration, paper towels, air gauge and maybe other stuff in there.
I used to have a big plastic funnel, but have moved it.
There is a lot of space in there.:dance

That's what I thought ... but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

Thanks

I have my compressor, registration, paper towels, air gauge and maybe other stuff in there.
I used to have a big plastic funnel, but have moved it.
There is a lot of space in there.:dance

Ditto! My bike came equipped with the radio package which was removed and now takes up residency in a cardboard box that sits on a shelf in my garage.

Now I have a very handy glovebox to store various items and as gloveboxes go, it’s rather deep so it can store quite a lot considering it’s size.

For those rare occasions when I listen music as I ride, I use a Sena 20S Bluetooth Communicator that’s connected to my helmet. Since it pairs to my phone, it allows me to make/receive calls, hear turn by turn directions from my navigation and of course, listen to music streamed from my phone or from the built in FM receiver.

All in all, I find this arrangement much more useful to me than an AM/FM radio cassette player that takes up extra weight and space and offers none of the other benefits aforementioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back