• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1994 R1100RS Project bike.

Fun projects :thumb
Perhaps 20% more heat if you have it. Sorta looks like you are waiting for the weld to “catch up” to where you are headed.
That said- “The best looking welds don’t necessarily hold the best and the worst looking welds don’t necessarily hold the worst”. Vern Saunders, King Philip Welding Supplies.
Weld on.
OM

Yeah, 1/8" steel is a tad thick for a 110V welder, so I sort of was trying to push the weld to catch up. It was a challenge for someone of my limited skills to get the right speed. I hammered each part pretty hard, so fingers crossed it will hold. Fortunately if it doesn't the drop will only be 3/4", so unlikely to topple the bike off the lift. 99% of the time it will be off the wheels anyhow.

Thanks though, I is nice to hear I am not just bugger welding at this point. You should have seem my early flux welding! :banghead

Jim :brow

Fun projects :thumb
Perhaps 20% more heat if you have it. Sorta looks like you are waiting for the weld to “catch up” to where you are headed.
That said- “The best looking welds don’t necessarily hold the best and the worst looking welds don’t necessarily hold the worst”. Vern Saunders, King Philip Welding Supplies.
Weld on.
OM

That was going to be my recommendation as well...the welds are sorta sitting on top of the steel instead of penetrating into it.

Put myself through college as a welder.

My current welding instructor - we had to call off class for the pandemic, but - is an Inspector for the Canadian Welding Bureau. They require periodic testing of welders working at companies in the US that send welded products to Canada. But to the point, he has told me on more than one occasion, "There is no code requirement that a weld has to be pretty. He was usually commenting about one of my welds. :)

That would be interesting as I've never seen a BMW I like better than mine. I'm a sucker for bright red and that paint is amazing. 21 years old a still bright. I is garaged so that has no doubt helped. On the flip side I am kind of disenchanted with BMW longevity. All the rubber brake lines failed like clockwork about 5 years ago. The rear end went last year. I just learned about insulation on Hall sensors. My 1983 Honda CB 1000 had nothing like that fail. It did have problems but not things like brake lines and a stupid 2" piece of internal insulation. Plus it spent the summers outside.

I'm new to the oilhead. What is it that I need to know about insulation on the Hall sensors? My bike is a 94 K1100rs.

Looking forward to seeing the final result. My son and I went through our 1995 RSL that we finished back in April of 2012. Full story here.
131866864.jpg

143169409.jpg

I love that old bike and will never let it go.
164913874.jpg

The lift wheels worked perfectly on the Kenda. Painted them, then rolled the RS onto it in the garage, then rolled it into the workshop. It even went over the beveled 1/2" lip. Created an oil catcher from a paint pan so I could pull the valve covers. Works great.

That oil smelled definitely burned. More ammunition to the overheated theory.

Waiting to get the HES back so I can ensure the bike runs before going too nuts on it. I cleaned a few things, and started polishing the wheel after removing the rear footpegs.

Beside elbow grease, what are you using/doing to make those wheels look so nice? My 96RT has the same wheels and I'll have them off this weekend. I'd like to make them look that purty:bliss

Amazing what a little elbow grease will do for something. Nice work! Since I'm still new to the whole BMW stuff, are those hand guards stock on an RS or are those off a GS? Does the RS have 17 inch wheels?
Following..

Amazing what a little elbow grease will do for something. Nice work! Since I'm still new to the whole BMW stuff, are those hand guards stock on an RS or are those off a GS? Does the RS have 17 inch wheels?
Following..

They are R1100GS handguards. They fit pretty much any R1100 model.

Thanks,

Progress. Sanded, sprayed with rust inhibitor, and painted with satin black. Looks nice.

More importantly, I received the rebuilt HES and installed it. Success, the bike runs, and it runs nice!

Back