• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1991 R100GSPD Accessory Power Receptacle Question

leafman60

The BMW accessory power receptacle located lower left side of the bike below panels.

Mine is dead and I have not fully traced the wires to it. My wiring diagram does not even show the receptacle. I have a brown and a red/white striped wire out of the receptacle that goes up into a main wrapped harness that leads up to the front fairing. I haven't yet removed the fairing.

Can anyone here enlighten me on where the accessory receptacle's leads go? I would think something like that would be fused at some point but the small left side fuse block doesn't cover it.

Thanks in advance.

My Haynes shows a red/white wire from a "connection for additional instruments" leading to the fuse board, fuse F3 with connections 30U and 30A3 on either side of it. It seems that this circuit also provides power to the clock as well as the turn signal and cancelling unit. On other older BMWs, he fuses were in the headlight, but likely in a different place. In Haynes it says that the fuse holder is mounted at the front end of the tool kit tray.

On my 1993 GS that outlet is powered by the third fuse back in the fuse box behind the left side cover. It is hot all the time. Good luck

On my 1993 GS that outlet is powered by the third fuse back in the fuse box behind the left side cover. It is hot all the time. Good luck

Hmmm, yes, I checked that 15A fuse early on but it was okay. I check the power to that particular fuse holder.

Here’s a pretty good wiring diagram, it shows a straight shot from the fuse to the outlet with no connectors in between.
I would go over the basics again, corrosion, how’s your ground etc.

Attachments

• 11852E86-8229-43C4-A52C-08E750FDC380.jpg
    11852E86-8229-43C4-A52C-08E750FDC380.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 8EB37D2C-C422-43B7-80B1-FF082BF1F8A7.jpg
    8EB37D2C-C422-43B7-80B1-FF082BF1F8A7.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 68
I see that the Ignition Control Unit gets it's power from the same fuse so if your bike is running I would think the fuse is OK. Ground connections are just as important as power. How are you testing the power outlet?

The OEM power socket on the airhead GS has on the back side two connector pins that mate up with a connector wired back to the fuse panel. Those pins often corrode internally and lose connectivity, easily tested by pulling loose the connector and using a test meter to check connectivity from the pins to the center terminal and socket wall of the socket. Worth checking if your fuse is good and no broken wires detected. A replacement socket from BMW is very $$$ and the most common fix is to wire in a replacement from Powerlet or other vendors selling the DIN sockets.

Best,
DeVern

Here is some blasphemy: Carefully disconnect the OEM wiring to that socket. Insulate the ends of the disconnected wiring. Connect the accessory socket directly to the battery using a fused 12v+ lead and good ground lead.

Back