• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1991 K75/2

cayuse60

Maine Rider
As you can see this 1991 K75/2 has a one piece aluminum front fender (added by previuos owner) without a fork stabilizer and appears to have "sport" suspension making it a pre 8/1991 manufacturing date. (unable to read date of manufacture on the bike)

Are my conclusions correct with respect to the front suspension and manufacturing date, and can I run without the stabilizer?

TIA----tim

Attachments

• 100_0176c2.jpg
    100_0176c2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 106
use Google

Set your to this post someone here will tell you how to find the year and more.:lurk

If you can read the last seven digits of the VIN, this site will tell you the build date:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

I don't know if you can run without the fork brace. The sport suspension bikes only have a damper rod in one leg, so there is probably a reason the engineers tied the legs together with such a beefy fork brace.

It sure looks like the original fender and brace were removed and this fender was installed. The bolts in the photo appear to be in the original holes in the fork sliders where the OEM brace mounted. It is not clear why somebody would do this modification - maybe crasg damage, maybe some personal sense of style.

I would prefer to have the brace back in place if it were my bike.

I have had a fork brace improve forks that were not designed for one. I believe a fork brace can only be a positive design element. Since your forks were designed for a fork brace, I cannot imagine why the PO removed it.

BMWs are designed very, very well, and seldom benefit from tampering, least of all removal of a suspension part. We mere mortals are not qualified to second guess the Olympians at BMW. The fork brace not only assures uniform up and down movement, as mentioned jdiaz, it also provides torsional rigidity.

Thanks for all your responses: machine was built 01/1991.

Right now it would appear this aluminum fender is acting as the brace / stabilizer between the two forks. Given that only one of the forks dampens, a brace of some kind between them would seem necessary.
---tim

What does the rest of the bike look like? I'm curious to see what else the previous owner "manufactured." :laugh

Back