• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1984 R100RT ignition trubles

FLbmw

2007 R1200R
I'm looking for advice with a 1984 R100RT electronic ignition. The bike was shutting down only when it got hot. After shut down, there is still dash lights, headlight, taillight, the starter turns, etc, but the bike would not start. Once it cooled, it would start right up again. Considering age and miles (70,000), I suspected the electronic ignition. I sent out the electronic ignition for a rebuild. With the rebuilt electronic ignition in, it's doing the same thing, shutting down only when it gets hot. Is there something else I need to look at?

Ignition troubles

One of the routine tasks that you should perform, if you have not already done this, is to apply dilectic grease to the bottom of the ignition control unit. It could be that this unit is over heating and creating problems. To do this you take the tank off and you will see a small electrical modual with a wiring harness plugged into it. Undue the wiring harness, take out the 2 small bolt (7 or 8 mm) separate the ignition control unit from the base plate smear dialectic grease on the unit and replace. This a routine practice at the begining of each riding season. It could be too late and it is fried - just a suggestion.

Mike

Back