• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1982 R100RS Shifter Bushing

happy wanderer

Day Dreaming ...
My RS has a very worn shifter bushing so the lever is pretty sloppy. Looking at the RealOEM and Max fiches today it seems this shifter and bushing is no more. From what I can tell they want me to buy a whole new shift lever that is not available right now which comes with a needle bearing pre-installed.
I am wondering if the OD of the new needle bearing is the same as the old bushing was. If so I could remove what is left of the brass bushing and press in a bearing for 13 bucks and be done with it. Replacing the whole shift arm seems a bit too far to go for such a simple problem.

Has anyone run into this? Ideas and suggestions welcomed! Thx.

I did a search on the Airheads archives and found someone who mentioned he replaced the bushing on his '81RT with one from Garlock. He wrote about the Garlock 1220DU self lubricating (12x20mm) bushing. Try some google searches and see if this might work.

Your idea of a bearing probably would work...of course you need the seal as well. I read where there's a stop built inside the whole so probably any replacement needs to slide into the stop.

I did a search on the Airheads archives and found someone who mentioned he replaced the bushing on his '81RT with one from Garlock. He wrote about the Garlock 1220DU self lubricating (12x20mm) bushing. Try some google searches and see if this might work.

Your idea of a bearing probably would work...of course you need the seal as well. I read where there's a stop built inside the whole so probably any replacement needs to slide into the stop.

To me, if one is to mic the sizes of the bearing there and go to a bearing supply house, one could get pretty much anything........Take the old one with you and pretty much any good parts guy at a bearing outfit can come up with that........Bet even NAPA could in a pinch..........Just thinking out loud....God bless......Dennis

That was me and it's still working fine!

81 R100RT 169,000

To me, if one is to mic the sizes of the bearing there and go to a bearing supply house, one could get pretty much anything........Take the old one with you and pretty much any good parts guy at a bearing outfit can come up with that........Bet even NAPA could in a pinch..........Just thinking out loud....God bless......Dennis

Good suggestion. A lot of guys, me included, changed the shifter bushing to roller bearings on our K1200s. They fit pretty well with an added washer. Made the shifter much more "snickety" which was the point. The K1200s had a pretty graunchy shifter. You might even be able to still find the thread on the K1200s forum.

Thanks Dennis. This was one of my thoughts as well. The BMW bearing is USD $13 so that'll be around CDN $20 with the usual Canuck Markup and taxes. Fitting the bearing where the bush was makes the most sense and keeps it BMW compatible. I'll take it apart again and make some measurements. Gonna check the AirList too and go from there.

I took mine to a bearing supply and they sold me this. Garlock 1220DU self lubricating (12x20mm)

It worked for me, as previously stated.

I took mine to a bearing supply and they sold me this. Garlock 1220DU self lubricating (12x20mm)

It worked for me, as previously stated.

Thanks Pas. Pulled the bits off today and did some measuring. Turns out the pivot pin is more worn than the bushing! Bushing ID is a pretty even 12mm all round. The pin however has developed a small lip at the edge of the bushing end and measures 11.90mm to 11.93mm. Ordered a Garlock 1220 DU bushing from a local bearing house and checking stock on a new pin at my local BMW privateer.

Back