• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1980 R100RT -- now a naked bike

I've been wanting to buy an airhead, well, since 1972 when I was in the service. I wanted to buy a new 1972 R75/5 back then but couldn't afford it -- it cost $1800. Years later I had a 1994 R100 GS/PD. But now I want another airhead. This 1980 R100RT has been on craigslist for sometime now -- I really like the looks of this "naked" version. But I have a few questions:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/scottsdale-classic-bmw-r100rt-low/6821940929.html

(1) I would have to install mirrors and front turn signals. I was thinking of some sort of aftermarket combination turn-signal-mirrors. Would that look cheesy on this airhead?

(2) Is the value of the bike diminished quite a bit if I sell or give away the fairing pieces? I'm really not fond of the "RT" look. I prefer a naked, "S" or "RS" model airhead.

(3) Are the fairing attachment brackets (which you can see in the pics) easy to remove or integral to the bike?

Attachments

• R100RT-A.jpg
    R100RT-A.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 185
Also, are those mufflers correct for a 1980 R100RT?

I think that maybe I should just bide my time till a "true" naked airhead (or S or RS model) shows up on the market. I'm looking for at at least an R75 (750cc+).

You can easily obtain the parts for the turn signals and mirrors. You could even put bar end mirrors on if you can't install stock mirrors. I you were closer to me I would tell you to buy that bike and i would trade you my 1978 R80/7 for it. I really like the smoke red color on an RT/RS. I've been looking for an RT off and on for a while now. I thought I might try a K100 or K75 RT but another Airhead would do nicely. That looks like a nice clean Airhead to me. I'd go for it and hang on to the fairing as it would help to hold the value if you ever wanted to sell. Just my opinion.

You can easily obtain the parts for the turn signals and mirrors. You could even put bar end mirrors on if you can't install stock mirrors. I you were closer to me I would tell you to buy that bike and i would trade you my 1978 R80/7 for it. I really like the smoke red color on an RT/RS. I've been looking for an RT off and on for a while now. I thought I might try a K100 or K75 RT but another Airhead would do nicely. That looks like a nice clean Airhead to me. I'd go for it and hang on to the fairing as it would help to hold the value if you ever wanted to sell. Just my opinion.
Thanks George! :thumb

Mufflers look stock to me. This shows the "spider" that bolts to the headstock to support the RT fairing. I suspect it would be fairly easy to remove.

There's a '78 R100S on the Marketplace:

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/Classified/r100s-smoke-red-1978-listing-15359.aspx

Not naked, but could easily be.
Thanks Kurt! :thumb

Also, thanks for the used bike reference but I only buy within a 2-hour driving distance. That way I can take my trailer and I have the option to not buy if the bike, in person, is not what I expected.

Another question . . .

Most of the pics of 1980 R100RTs show the engine with black valve covers. I have found some pictures with the silver/aluminum valve covers, like the one I'm thinking about buying. What is the difference? Why the difference? Was black an option back then?

Another question . . .

Most of the pics of 1980 R100RTs show the engine with black valve covers. I have found some pictures with the silver/aluminum valve covers, like the one I'm thinking about buying. What is the difference? Why the difference? Was black an option back then?

Probably an R80 valve cover, or someone polished the black off of it. The biggest sin is that it is a left hand valve cover on the right cylinder. Shows an uninvolved owner.

Black valve covers were standard on the S/RS models. Silver covers were standard on the R 80 models. They all interchange depending on your preference and can easily changed with a rattle can of paint.

Friedle

Probably an R80 valve cover, or someone polished the black off of it. The biggest sin is that it is a left hand valve cover on the right cylinder. Shows an uninvolved owner.
Thanks. I think you may have made my decision for me.

I think I'll wait for another airhead to pop up for sale. Besides, this bike was a 2.75 hour ride each way -- a drive with trailer that I was not looking forward to.

Last edited:
IMHO that looks like a sweet bike and it come with all the RT full fairing parts.
Having the valve covers mixed up is no big problem.

It looks like the asking price on these old airheads in good shape is slowly creeping up

IMHO that looks like a sweet bike and it come with all the RT full fairing parts.
Having the valve covers mixed up is no big problem.

It looks like the asking price on these old airheads in good shape is slowly creeping up
Thanks.

I hear ya. To be honest, I'm still undecided . . . but I have to make up my mind today. :scratch

Thanks. I think you may have made my decision for me.

I think I'll wait for another airhead to pop up for sale. Besides, this bike was a 2.75 hour ride each way -- a drive with trailer that I was not looking forward to.

The concept of "far away" always interests me. Living in Canada where all the major centers are huddled withing 200kms of the US border and it is hundreds of KMS between them at a minimum, a 3 hour ride is not what I consider far at all. I found the last bike I bought on Craigslist and bought it sight unseen from a guy in Raleigh N. Carolina. I packed my gear and took a flight to Chicago and then Raleigh to pick up that bike and then I rode it home to Vancouver staring on Nov 1. The temp that morning was -1 and there was a lot of frost on the roads so I rode out to the Tail of The Dragon and rode it that afternoon. On to Nashville and then south to Shreveport LA and home via TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA and finally BC again. I went that way to avoid winter and even then Stephen's Pass in OR was snowed in the day I arrived there so I had to wait a day to get over the pass.

Now that was a long ride to get a bike! But hey, it was exactly what I was after with just over 10K original miles in ten years of ownership. Not a good thing but I fixed it up and still ride it today.

Long story to say if you find a bike that suits your purpose just go get it and ride it home! Life is too short for regrets.

Long story to say if you find a bike that suits your purpose just go get it and ride it home! Life is too short for regrets.
Thanks for that long story. :hungover

I've had 58 motorcycles in my 50+ years of riding. I have 8 motorcycles right now. And I've driven 5-6 hours round trip for a bike I really wanted. I'm just not sure I want this bike that badly. Besides, the drive is thru two metropolitan areas, one is 4.6 million people and the other is 1.5 million people -- if this was a drive thru the pristine countryside, I wouldn't mind so much.

One other thing, I have several other pastimes -- motorcycling isn't my only pleasure.

Fair enough. That bike had me lusting the moment I saw the tank. I have a Red/Smoke R100RS and the only paint I find more beautiful is the 90S version because of the beautiful pin striping. Red/Smoke is also the fastest colour! :dance

Fair enough. That bike had me lusting the moment I saw the tank. I have a Red/Smoke R100RS and the only paint I find more beautiful is the 90S version because of the beautiful pin striping. Red/Smoke is also the fastest colour! :dance

+1

You have to like the paint--or leave it for someone who does. The cost of accurately recreating that paint scheme would be most of that bike's asking price, particularly if the fairing bits are in a similar condition. The RT fairing doesn't otherwise have a lot of present market value---they seem to actually depress the resale value, since most riders don't really want as much weather protection as the RT fairings provide. The valve covers' installation would seem to indicate that the present owner isn't particularly detail-oriented, so there could be things that need attention----but this is true for most 39 year-old bikes.

Last edited:
+1

You have to like the paint--or leave it for someone who does. The cost of accurately recreating that paint scheme would be most of that bike's asking price, particularly if the fairing bits are in a similar condition. The RT fairing doesn't otherwise have a lot of present market value---they seem to actually depress the resale value, since most riders don't really want as much weather protection as the RT fairings provide. The valve covers' installation would seem to indicate that the present owner isn't particularly detail-oriented, so there could be things that need attention----but this is true for most 39 year-old bikes.

I LOVE that paint! Here's mine warming up for a winter ride in Vancouver. Snow on the ground but not on the roads that day so what the hey, might as well go while you can! Mr. Muth's autograph now safely clear coated. :thumb
20180215_081656.jpg

Back