• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1978 R100/7 Flat top Carburetor Rebuild

All good advice, Don/Dennis! Mike said he listened to the video and didn't hear it either. Take it from me, it sounds like popcorn popping on the road once the throttle comes off, and some large backfires every once in awhile. It's embarrasing!:fart
But, it sure does run good other than that, doesn't it?
The other thing that is keeping me from just riding it is the problem with second gear; a lurch whenever the bike has torque applied to it in second gear only. At first I thought I might have screwed up the clutch rebuild: got grease on the plate or something, but my buddy Marc has ridden it around and there is definitely something wrong with second gear; it slips badly. This could really end the transmission's career quickly and violently, I am told.
So, might be time to punt and take her in to a pro and get some advice.

Oh, and don't you guys worry, the roads here in San Diego and the roads in the hills of Malibu are covered: I have the RT here in the garage, and thanks to my wonderful girlfriend in Westlake Village, my R850R is garaged minutes away from the twisties, and the key is safely hidden from her teenage son (who is just about to get his driver's license!)
Those carb problems are vexing, that's for sure, but I know, I know...They're all good problems!:clap

Last edited:
Kurt,

It's difficult to determine by the video. There's a part of me that believes what you're hearing is normal but amplified a bit with your louder than OEM mufflers. Now that you have all the loose ends buttoned up, I say bring the bike over and we adjust and balance your carbs with the shorting method going through each step carefully and methodically. Then let's see what we have.

I'm more concerned with your second gear issue.

Kurt,

It's difficult to determine by the video. There's a part of me that believes what you're hearing is normal but amplified a bit with your louder than OEM mufflers. Now that you have all the loose ends buttoned up, I say bring the bike over and we adjust and balance your carbs with the shorting method going through each step carefully and methodically. Then let's see what we have.

I'm more concerned with your second gear issue.

Yep, me too, Mike. See you soon, and thanks to everyone out there with the great advice:brow

Back