• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1975 R75/6 keeps revving steadily up -

rocksternroll77

Bings have been rebuilt, cables and linkage all good - when it's warmed up it keeps revving up. I have to use the brakes to slow the motor back to idle. Not sure what to look at.

I guess you meant that you used the clutch to slow the engine...usually you slowly let out the clutch...with brakes on...to pull the engine down. If the RPM stays low after that, then that does point to the advance weights sticking "open" or out. Be sure to check all connections and ensure there's no air leaks between the carb and the head...spray some brake cleaner while engine is idling and listen for any RPM changes.

Idle

How hight does the idle increase? What are you setting the idle RPM at? Does the idle RPM drop down at any point or just stay high?
Some bikes will require a longer period of time to properly warm up to set idle RPM. It is best to adjust for initial starting and getting on the road and then when the bike is fully warmed up at operating temperature to set the idle RPM. RPM will increase as the bike warms up to a certain point but not drop down.

If the idle is increasing and decreasing while riding or in the shop, i would recheck your cable adjustment and then as suggested perhaps the springs and weights on the timing advance. St.

yes, clutch and brake - I'll check out the weights and springs - I have looked at everything else - I think

Were the O-rings around the butterfly shafts replaced as part of this rebuild? They can be an air leak source that can cause high idle as the bike warms up. A spray of starter fluid where these shafts exit the carb body can be a good diagnostic.

Were the O-rings around the butterfly shafts replaced as part of this rebuild? They can be an air leak source that can cause high idle as the bike warms up. A spray of starter fluid where these shafts exit the carb body can be a good diagnostic.

Came here to type the same as Greg did.

Experiencing the same problem with a 81 R100. Problem before and after carb rebuild.
With the carb tubes off I can slow the engine down my covering the carb throat briefly.
Eventually rises back up to about 2500.
Does the bean can ignition on the 81 also use mechanical weights and springs?
If so, I wonder if it would be the same springs as the earlier bikes?

Last edited:
Back