• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200GS Vario Bags - How Are They

klrobins

Just looking for some feedback before I buy... I'm considering the BMW Vario bags (I like the stock look with bags off). The dealer claims they are waterproof... are they? How waterproof (light rain, pouring rain, fully submersible)? Should I bother with the BMW liner bags? Dare I ask has anyone dropped their bike on the bags?

I pick my 2007 R1200GS up next week.... WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Thanks!!
Kristi from Canada

Just looking for some feedback before I buy... I'm considering the BMW Vario bags (I like the stock look with bags off). The dealer claims they are waterproof... are they? How waterproof (light rain, pouring rain, fully submersible)? Should I bother with the BMW liner bags? Dare I ask has anyone dropped their bike on the bags?

I pick my 2007 R1200GS up next week.... WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Thanks!!
Kristi from Canada

Mine have stayed dry in lengthy rain rides. I still like to use bag liners, though.

I think it's a remnant of my days with early and flimsy Kbike bags. :)

A lot depends on your preferences. The BMW bags are waterproof, good looking and expandable, but they are also just plastic, on plastic mounts and side opening.

Bags like Jesse and TT are metal, top loading, metal mounts, waterproof, and stronger by a large degree in a drop.

Jesse bags can be purchased in the scratch and dent bins for $900, making them about the same as stock, and the very minor blemishes wont even be noticable.

Your choice.

Jim :brow

I have the varios and like them.
Got a good deal on them when I bought the bike.
Everything has stayed dry but I cant say I've submerged them.
Been thru some good rains.

I dont use the liners. But do have a cooler and some other bags that fit in well.

One thing I like is how easy they come on and off.
Ive checked into hotels and just carried the bags in.
Also I can take them off for short trips.

The expanding feature is nice as well, Ive used that grocery shopping on a few occasions.

The only real problem is friends who are too cool for bags and want me to haul stuff for them. Always getting the "can you carry this rain suit or Helmet requests.

MJJ

I have the vario side cases and the top case on my 05 GS. The top case is on almost all the time I ride, but only use the side cases for long trips. I rode from Little Rock to New Orleans in constant heavy rain last fall and not a drop inside the cases. The convenience of a single key and easy on/off is great. One glitch to be aware of, however. My top case bucked off after hitting a pretty bad road rut earier this year. The case was damaged, but it still held together despite the shock from hitting the road. Luckily, I was able to repair back to like new condition with some good epoxy. Other GS riders and a dealer told me that this is a common design problem that BMW is aware of. Whether they make any changes to the design is another story. Although I have not had any problems with the top case during short rides since, I will be using a bungee cord for added security during my ride from Miami to Lake Tahoe this summer.

I have the vario cases on my 05GS as well, the bike has been down 3 times so far (at low speeds in turns on gravel in the middle of the paved road) and they're suffered dents in the aluminium panel and scuffs on the corners - but no cracks. The hardware is holding very well still. I went to Alaska last summer and I had them fully expanded and loaded up twice the recommended weight - went through all sorts of ruts and bad conditions but never once had any failures. On the way back it rained non-stop for a whole week; nothing in the cases got even moist, no water got through at all.

I recommend them, especially if you're not doing extreme off-roading! As a city commute and highway pleasure riding, the cases will take you a vely long way. Mine have!

Alaska%20-%20719.jpg

Vario Bags

I use the Vario side cases and like them for all the reasons others have stated. Also use a large Givi top case on long trips and when riding two up. Great combination. An old set of Concours bags fit right in the Vario cases.

Randy Wagner

I have over 30k miles on my 05 with the Vario's. I've been using the Eagle Creek pack-it cubes for 8 years & prefer side load bags without liners. Helmet fits in expanded right side bag & no leaks on any of the 3 bags so far. I would recommend
the bags. Buy new with bike & get 3 yr warranty.

Back