• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1150 RT kickstand play

brownie

Gurus…….how much play should my kickstand have? Cannot find any discussion on this. ‘04 RT 135k smiles :scratch

Picture from the MAX website:
Kickstand.jpg

What typically wears are the bushing (item 3) and the big bolt that passes through it; first step is to try tightening that bolt. If that doesn't help, replace both the bushing and the bolt, with a little bit of moly grease inside (keep the stuff off the threads).
If the ears of the stand are spread, you can squeeze them back together (a little) with a vise.

Be sure to grease the Side Stand regularly as part of maintenance after replacing the worn parts.
Use a pin grease fitting in the the hole shown.

Attachments

• Side stand pivot.jpg
    Side stand pivot.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
Is there a spec for side play? That is, if I put the bike up on the center stand and lower the side stand, how much the foot will move left/right?

Is there a spec for side play? That is, if I put the bike up on the center stand and lower the side stand, how much the foot will move left/right?

I don't know a spec, but my R1150R had a sidestand that would move about an inch laterally at the bottom of the stand in the extended position. But this was after about 100,000 miles. I replaced the bushing and that reduced it a little but the fork at the top was spread a little.

No published spec I know of.
Most higher mileage oilheads I've seen are sloppy, mostly due to lack of or no greasing.
1150GSA's are the worst.

If replacing the bolt and bushing does not improve the slop, fitting a custom shim to take up play can be done.
It is a bit tedious to select the proper thickness of shimstock and fit but the results are worth the effort.
The shim is fitted to the top inner side of the pivot

Note: only one of the 2 shims shown below was used.

Attachments

• IMGP2501.jpg
    IMGP2501.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I saw Brook Reams use a piece cut from a beer can to take the play out of a shifter pivot, I think in one of his transmission rebuild videos...maybe that would work?

SPP

Last edited:
An easy source of material for a thin shim would be the end of a tin-can, (right out of the opener).
If something a little more substantial is needed, a copper drain plug washer.
OM

My ‘98 R1100RT at 250,000 km has no play when deployed.

I do not know if this next bit of information is relevant to your problem. For years my K100 had a two or three inches of play when extended, requiring my foot to keep it in place when extended until the bike’s weight was placed on it. A friend who converted his K100 into a rig gave me his side stand. When the tech installed the friend’s piece there was still the same play (and the extra lean). He discovered that whatever the side stand was attached to under the bike was bent. Once he straightened that piece, he put the original stand back on and all was well.

The culprit who bent that piece was me. Once when trailering the bike, i retightened the straps at a gas stop only to discover that I neglected to raise the side stand, causing the damage. :banghead

Back