• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1100 Head Nut Question

jsouth

About 700 miles ago, I repaired some stripped M6 bolts in my RH cylinder jug. The repair involved removing the head to access the stripped holes. I successfully did that repair, and reinstalled the head. No leaks. Now, I'm dripping oil when engine runs (appears to be coming from head gasket area). Remembering that it's time to retorque the head nuts, I got out my Factory Repair Manual to study up before actually doing it.

As I looked at the procedure, I noticed that the manual says to install the head bolt collar TOWARDS the cylinder head. (see photo) The exploded diagram seems to show exactly the opposite. Which is correct? I'm pretty sure I placed the flat part of the nut towards the cylinder head.

Attachments

• 20240520_125154.jpg
    20240520_125154.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
BMW parts diagrams are NOT assembly diagrams, they are only intended to show which parts BMW currently has available for your machine. Sometimes a part is shown in the diagram but not listed in the available parts, sometimes NLA parts are greyed out or “ghosted” in the diagrams.

You’ve identified one area where the diagram may not match what’s called out in the factory service manual; there are others (airhead front forks come to mind). So install the nuts as called out in the factory manual.

Best,
DeVern

BMW parts diagrams are NOT assembly diagrams, they are only intended to show which parts BMW currently has available for your machine. Sometimes a part is shown in the diagram but not listed in the available parts, sometimes NLA parts are greyed out or “ghosted” in the diagrams.

You’ve identified one area where the diagram may not match what’s called out in the factory service manual; there are others (airhead front forks come to mind). So install the nuts as called out in the factory manual.

Best,
DeVern
The diagram is IN the Service Manual. So the conflict is within the same page of the same document. But I'm with you, I'm inclined to go with the text and the diagram arrow rather than the exploded diagram.

Yes, same ones - that looks the same as the exploded diagram in the service manual. According to the text, correct installation on the nuts is backwards from both of those diagrams.

Thanks for all the responses. On my retorque, I turned them correctly (one at a time) and torqued them per spec, then fired it up to find the same oil leak.

Got a fan on the engine and started the bike to watch what was happening and it was from the oil tensioner on the bottom of the head (this was the RH side). I pulled it out and the copper washer was galled. My head gasket set had an extra copper washer - I installed it and the leak is gone.

I appreciate the responses very much!

About 700 miles ago, I repaired some stripped M6 bolts in my RH cylinder jug. The repair involved removing the head to access the stripped holes. I successfully did that repair, and reinstalled the head. No leaks. Now, I'm dripping oil when engine runs (appears to be coming from head gasket area). Remembering that it's time to retorque the head nuts, I got out my Factory Repair Manual to study up before actually doing it.

As I looked at the procedure, I noticed that the manual says to install the head bolt collar TOWARDS the cylinder head. (see photo) The exploded diagram seems to show exactly the opposite. Which is correct? I'm pretty sure I placed the flat part of the nut towards the cylinder head.
A couple weeks ago I adjusted the valves on a 99’ r1100 and the shoulders was facing out, it is a high mileage bike and they may have been off

Back