• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

100 milers in Utah—mph, that is

True, but the speed limit across much of South Dakota on I-90 is 85, which pretty much what everyone is doing, except the older Harleys. They just do the best they can.

Actually, the Speed Limit on I-90 in South Dakota between Rapid City and Sioux Falls is 80 mph. Between Rapid City and the Wyoming border, it is 75 mph.

This morning folks are creeping along about 45 mph past my house on I-90 between Exit 14 and Exit 12 due to a nice layer of icy slush.

Utah 1996…

We find the defendant guilty! However, allowing for speedometer error we are unable to determine the actual speed.

I should have stopped at 85…that’s much more reasonable.

You were on a K1200RS and based on my experience it is about impossible not to hit the ton at least once on each ride with that bike. :brow

True, but the speed limit across much of South Dakota on I-90 is 85, which pretty much what everyone is doing, except the older Harleys. They just do the best they can.

The Interstate speed limit in Idaho outside of population areas is 85 and people are running from 85-100 in open areas every day.

Good eye Greg. Not a very old one at the time.

I still have my 2003 I bought new because it's a keeper. I think Jay Leno said in the interview published in the ON years ago that his K1200RS was the most deceptive motorcycle when it came to the perception of speed of any motorcycle he'd ever ridden. See - it *not* your fault - the bike made you do it! :brow

Imagine no traffic…makes for a great “Ton” on “ramp”…

Attachments

• 29525B0F-DDC5-4904-8200-7A965F112E35.jpg
    29525B0F-DDC5-4904-8200-7A965F112E35.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 179
I still have my 2003 I bought new because it's a keeper. I think Jay Leno said in the interview published in the ON years ago that his K1200RS was the most deceptive motorcycle when it came to the perception of speed of any motorcycle he'd ever ridden. See - it *not* your fault - the bike made you do it! :brow

They are smooth and powerful…(I know my letter K looks like an R)

Attachments

• 07C33B6E-A723-496D-9F74-8FC6F6D4E986.jpg
    07C33B6E-A723-496D-9F74-8FC6F6D4E986.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 38F27F08-9205-4160-8B07-3ABBE9484A55.jpg
    38F27F08-9205-4160-8B07-3ABBE9484A55.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 174
Track versus street

When you "get off" a bike at a race track, in most cases you have room to slide. That is why it is smart to race on a race track. Mind you there are races on streets such as the Isle of Mann, and look at the number of deaths there in its history versus a purpose built race track.

On a public road, hitting a stone wall at 65 is going to really ruin you day, the same wall at 85 will most likely end it. Rear ending a tractor going 35mph in a corner while enjoying the twisty road at 10 or 20 over the speed limit for the road may end your time as well.

I know, I am preaching to the choir here, those who chose to ride fast on public roads are more or less the same in attitude as the no helmet guys we "motorcyclists" make fun of and wonder about.

I got knocked off my RS doing 45mph and spent a year recovering. My injuries were not from sliding along the pavement, my leathers saved me from the road rash, not that I slid that far. My injuries were from contact with a curb on the edge of the road.

Oh well, I guess I am going to quit this post. I have said enough. St.

I ride alot in Utah.
Funny story from a trip in '19
I'm westbound out of Torrey on 24 heading for Loa. There's a pickup in front of me and when a passing lane appears, I pass him.
Whoops Its this County Sherriff. Well, he hits the lights and pulls me over for doing about 80 in a 65.
Nice guy, no ticket.
I ride this counterclockwise loop, down to Bryce Canyon and Hwy 12 coming back to Torrey for the night.
Coming back into Torrey the speed limit way out of town drops to 40. I'm doing about 60 and get stopped by the SAME LEO.
Still a very nice guy, tells me a story of a bike fatal a few weeks back and asks me to be more careful. Yes sir.
No ticket.
Utah has some roads that just beg to go beserk.
Hwy 95 between Blanding and Hanksville is one of them; open views no animals or traffic, never see LEO's out there. Sweepers you can go through as fast as you like; 110-130.+
24 from Hanksville to Green River has more traffic but is another open section that lends to wide open throttle. No animals.
But those high point tickets are a bitch, I've gotten a couple.
Never been arrested thou,yet.
Nick
2014 C-14

When you "get off" a bike at a race track, in most cases you have room to slide. That is why it is smart to race on a race track. Mind you there are races on streets such as the Isle of Mann, and look at the number of deaths there in its history versus a purpose built race track.

On a public road, hitting a stone wall at 65 is going to really ruin you day, the same wall at 85 will most likely end it. Rear ending a tractor going 35mph in a corner while enjoying the twisty road at 10 or 20 over the speed limit for the road may end your time as well.

I know, I am preaching to the choir here, those who chose to ride fast on public roads are more or less the same in attitude as the no helmet guys we "motorcyclists" make fun of and wonder about.

I got knocked off my RS doing 45mph and spent a year recovering. My injuries were not from sliding along the pavement, my leathers saved me from the road rash, not that I slid that far. My injuries were from contact with a curb on the edge of the road.

Oh well, I guess I am going to quit this post. I have said enough. St.

There are exceptions to the rule. I ride at a quite brisk pace in the mountain twisties [ 20-30mph over ] and highways [ 80-90mph on a trip ] yet wear a helmet all the time [ even in the desert heat in the summer which reaches 115F ] and armored jacket.

Back