• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

07 k1200gt seat comfort

R

rmullisjr

I am new to moa and would like to get to know you guys (and gals). I have just purchased a 2007 k1200gt and absolutely love it. However, I have a major concern about the seat. It HURTS!!!! It is fine for about 10 to 20 minutes, but then it starts to hurt my rear end. Then my legs start to get numb to the point when I come to a stop, I can hardly hold up the bike :jawdrop! My question, of course, is how do I fix this problem? Should BMW help me out with this? :help :help :help

Also, who makes a windshield that will keep the air off you at high speeds (50mph and up)? I appreciate any help or advice on these two subjects. THANKS!

seat

i came from a hd road glide now have 5800 miles on 07gt if i weare jeans i get hot after a tank or so no problem with leathers :usa i would say give it some time as i have found i can now ride all day with out thinking about seat

I don't believe BMW will help you out with the problem - it seems apparent to me your butt and the seat don't mate well. It happens. As a WAG - the numbness in your legs indicates pinched nerves, which isn't a good thing, and won't get better by itself.

Lots of people have custom seats made - downside is $$$ and in some cases you loose your stock seat since the custom seat is made on the stock seat pan.

I found another answer - which may - or may not work for you, but if it doesn't you won't have a lot of trouble selling what you try.. that's an air-support cushion. If you have the December BMW-MOA-Owners News - there is an article I wrote about two different options.

The most common is the AirHawk cushion - which helped a great deal with a painful butt I had, but caused discomfort in other spots. What worked even better - and was the answer for me is a Freedom Air cushion. http://www.starcushion.com/consumer.php

This worked - made a painful R1150RS seat useable for me. I haven't felt the need to use it on my R1200R - yet - but it's in the right pannier waiting just in case.

If it doesn't work for you - bet you can sell it for 90% of what you paid for it via the Flea Market, or Ebay..

There are a lot of ways to go on this. Pressure on the perineum can be one cause of numbness. You might consider removing the vinyl cover and cutting out a little foam to relieve pressure on the perineum. The foam you cut out can be replaced with softer foam so it looks OK when you are not on it.

Studying the bicycle magazines on seats might be interesting to you. Search the LA times for an article on this last month. http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-cycling9apr09,1,1557004.story

my ass also hurts.

I am new to moa and would like to get to know you guys (and gals). I have just purchased a 2007 k1200gt and absolutely love it. However, I have a major concern about the seat. It HURTS!!!! It is fine for about 10 to 20 minutes, but then it starts to hurt my rear end. Then my legs start to get numb to the point when I come to a stop, I can hardly hold up the bike :jawdrop! My question, of course, is how do I fix this problem? Should BMW help me out with this? :help :help :help

Also, who makes a windshield that will keep the air off you at high speeds (50mph and up)? I appreciate any help or advice on these two subjects. THANKS!

like you I just got my K1200gt and have just put 400 miles on it this weekend. I picked up the bike this past Friday from Manhatten BMW. While riding back from Manhatten I also noticed that my ass was not happy. Original Beemer seats suck. Way too soft which causes you butt to sink in and presure is put on your nerves and maybe even your prostrate. Not good!

On my last beemer the cure was simple. Get a sargent seat and start enjoying your ass and bike while riding. $495 for the heated version but worth every penny. We did not spend 20k to be in pain. Also put a Sargent on my Suzuki V-Strom. Suzuki also makes a lousey seat.

My clutch is giving me problem. Very grabby from stop after warm up. Also get a squeling noise sometimes when pulling in clutch. Break-in period. I break it and they take it in.

Ron

Don't feel alone here!

Most bike mfg'ers seats suck in general, with few exceptions. My K1200LT had the same disease of stock seat 'itis, that met with my arssss in a bad fashion and pain resulting after anything more than a hundred miles,etc...Custom$$$seats are a normal result from soooo many owners ditching their stock seats. Too many folks making seats to list; some light homework on seats will enlighten you on this topic. I used the "Russell Day Long" fix for my LT and it is such a HUGE difference, you'll not believe it until you try another, built to your butt! These are pricey, but how much would you pay to ride and forget the seat issue all together:)....Ride to reserve is a no brainer with a good seat:) Randy13233

I must have a BMW backside because I've got about 300,000 miles on stock BMW seats - '71 R50/5, '81 R100RS, '91 K100RS (160k on that one), and '03 K1200GT.
I absolutely love the Comfort Seat on the GT after 30k miles. I can sit on it all day without pain or numbness.
(Spandex bicycle shorts under riding clothes make a big difference in long-term comfort.)
BTW, my wife's '94 K75S has an after-market Sargent seat that is a torture device compared with BMW stock seats I've had.

Back