• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

07 gt storage

R

ricks01

due to @#!*%*^/!! economic necessity, i must store my 07 k-gt for the next year... i have clear title on it but funds for insurance, maintenance etc, will not be available for a while. whining aside, what maintenance/preparation should i perform to ensure my bike makes it with a minimum of deterioration. only have 1,300 miles on it. the bike will be covered in my unheated garage. thanks for any and all assistance...

Last edited:
When storing your bike, there are two issues to deal with. Tires and the engine. During storage, you should keep all weight off the tires if possible. For the K1200 engine, I was told to (1) change the oil, (2) add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas and (3) run the engine for 3 minutes. That's it. Fogging the cylinders w/ oil, which I did with my R bike, is difficult due to the layout of the K1200 engine. I also recommend that you hook the battery to a tender to keep it charged. Then, you dream of riding it next season!

good luck,

peterh

Bring it over, I'll "store" it for you, and make sure the engine is turned over once in a while. Just don't be suprised if the odometer shows some extra miles when you get back to pick it up! :laugh

When storing your bike, there are two issues to deal with. Tires and the engine. During storage, you should keep all weight off the tires if possible. For the K1200 engine, I was told to (1) change the oil, (2) add fuel stabilizer to a full tank of gas and (3) run the engine for 3 minutes. That's it. Fogging the cylinders w/ oil, which I did with my R bike, is difficult due to the layout of the K1200 engine. I also recommend that you hook the battery to a tender to keep it charged. Then, you dream of riding it next season!

good luck,

peterh

thank you! i dont know why, but i forgot about fuel stabilizer. absolutely cant wait for a great ride like i used to have in my single days. have looked and enjoyed many many ride reports in this forum...

Bring it over, I'll "store" it for you, and make sure the engine is turned over once in a while. Just don't be suprised if the odometer shows some extra miles when you get back to pick it up! :laugh

thanks for the "offer":) . kills me to lay it up. but that beats having to sell it which is what i am hoping to avoid (after 11 years of waiting/working to get it).

Back