• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

07 Dakar 650 GS Powerlet socket?

HALMC

Looks like I'm gonna come by an '06 650 Dakar.

Does it have a Powerlet socket on the bike as stock equipment?

Thanks

It has the accessory socket but make sure you buy the adapter that plugs into the socket so you are able to plug in whatever you are needing to charge. I know folks have added extra accessory socket around the dash area.

It has the accessory socket but make sure you buy the adapter that plugs into the socket so you are able to plug in whatever you are needing to charge. I know folks have added extra accessory socket around the dash area.
Thanks, I have quite a few Powerlet plugs for a variety of stuff.

Another question: is the existing powerlet socket tied to the bike's computer (like it was on my '06 K1200S) such that it is extremely current-limited?

On my K1200S, anything over about 40 watts would shut it down and it was accordingly worthless for anything more energy hungry than a GPS. More specifically, no electric clothiing whatever.

Thanks, I have quite a few Powerlet plugs for a variety of stuff.

Another question: is the existing powerlet socket tied to the bike's computer (like it was on my '06 K1200S) such that it is extremely current-limited?

On my K1200S, anything over about 40 watts would shut it down and it was accordingly worthless for anything more energy hungry than a GPS. More specifically, no electric clothiing whatever.

The Powerlet socket is hot all the time...

The alternators on the bike isn't big enough for a lot of accessories. Lot of people have volt meters on the bike to watch the volts. If you run a lot of accessories and keep RPMs over IIRC 4K, your bike will be charging and be fine running accessories.... where you need to watch yourself is when running lower than 4K RPMs running a lot of accessories such as running through town at lower speeds.. that is when your bike will start losing charge to where you can possibly drain your battery. I believe the same would go if you were using Powerlet socket for electric clothing. If you stay above 4K RPMs, you should be okay and getting a volt meter would be something that will help you watch what's happening to where you will know to start turning off some accessories.

outlet issues

Good advice bmwgsrider re: putting too much load on the outlet, haven't had trouble myself, but my 650 is a bit newer... maybe that helps.

I'm thinking the issue with your K1200 is it might be a CAN BUS system set-up, which means that the aux outlets can't draw more than 5A or there abouts. To my knowledge none of the 650 singles are CAN BUS (at least not yet), don't know about the 650/800 twin.

I'm not sure if the G650 GS is the same...

The bike has a 400 Watt @ 14 Volts charging system. Mine's an 06'.

My 01 Dakar did not have a power outlet. Kit from BMW was $52 and plug and play to install; the bike was wired for the outlet.

My Dakar has a BMW accessory socket on the left side (as you are sitting on the bike). I use it primarily for my BMW Maintenance Charger. I have a full set of Gerbing gear, so I installed the battery harness with a 15 amp inline fuse that comes with each piece of Gerbing gear. This separate harness is really the way to go. Gerbing sells an adapter that converts the BMW accessory plug to a Gerbing coaxial connector, and when I originally bought the Gerbing gear, that is what I was planning to use. My BMW dealer talked me out of that idea, and I'm glad he did. I have the Gerbing connector installed so it come out just below the seat on the left side, right about where my leg is.

Thanks to all, the 400 watt comment was most helpful. Allowing ~100 watts for the bike (lights, ignition, etc.) there should be plenty energy to run my jacket and gloves during the Florida "winter". Also thanks for the CAN BUS information -- that's about the lamest idea I've ever seen on a bike. I discovered the K1200S's shortcomings when trying to use a little air compressor to repair a flat. Apparently the powerlet socket on my '06 R1200RT is not part of the CAN BUS system, fortunately.

My 01 Dakar did not have a power outlet. Kit from BMW was $52 and plug and play to install; the bike was wired for the outlet.

Since I greatly prefer to use the stock bike wiring, I'm curious to know where you (AKBeemer) found the bike's wires for the outlet. If there is no powerlet socket on mine when it arrives (later today) I'd like to do what you did.

There was a pre-wired plug on the left side under the seat as I recall. The kit came with instructions and pictures that made it a simple job.

The power plug on the GS I personally find it to be in a less than convenient spot so I made a plate that I could mount on the handle bars.

The plug next to the battery monitor (its also a voltmeter to help monitor load) is used for heated gear (coaxial connector). Under the rubber plug is a hole drilled for future use (switch, etc). There is a rubber plug that goes on the coaxial connector that keeps water and debris out but you can't see it because right now its behind the plate and is safetied to the wire in back.

Then I made some adapters to plug into this spot to accommodate a cigarette style plug etc.

My GPS and other accessories are all connected via a fuse block under the seat.

Since these photos I have added additional electricals to the fuse block.

884368043_N7Jts-L.jpg

884366800_oTmye-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back