• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'07 1200RT Cruise Control Unit failure

JWOODARD

Jim Woodard
Has anyone else had a problem with their Cruise Control Unit (CCU) failing? I recently bought a slightly used (21K miles) '07 RT. The bike was within a month of going out of warranty, so the dealer gave me a 50/50, 90 day warranty on the bike. I'm into the last 30 days to the warranty and the cruise control started go intermittent on me. The problem go worse and finally would not engage at all. I took it back to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as a failed CCU and said they had never heard of an 1200RT having a problem with this unit. Part cost $558, so my share will be $278 + labor (about 45 minutes). Is this truly a low failure item? Looking for others who have had a problem with cruise control. R/Jim W.

47,000 miles on my 2007 R1200 RT (bought new in Apr 2008) and no problems with my cruise control. I have used it extensively and have been totally satisfied. Sorry.:dunno

I also had a problem with the cruise on my 08 RT. Occasionally the cruise light would not come on and the cruise would not engage. This only occured in the winter when the temperature was less than 35 degrees. The dealer could not find anything wrong. I asked if the cruise function was disabled in freezing temperatures for safety reasons, the dealer did not think so.

This winter I had no difficulty with the cruise regardless of temperature. May have been related to the battery, who knows.

When I was having trouble I did receive a lot of useful info from this forum, so you may try a search of past postings. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I read/heard somewhere else about cold weather affecting CC because the throttle cables were too tight and when contracting due to the cold, it opens the throttle microswitch, kicking off the CC.

Our family has an '07 and an '08... never experienced any issues. Don't use the cruise in freezing conditions much so can't comment on the issue noted above but it makes total sense to me.

Mine was failing 2 days after taking delivery...turned out to be the switch on the handlebar, intermittent but luckily failed for the dealer so they replaced it.

That was 55,000kms ago, no issues since, and I drive in temps from -10c to +35c.

Jim

nada

no trouble with cruise. Bought in May 07. Only problem I have had was ESA hanging up which was quickly fixed under warranty.

I checked the switches first (once upon a time I was a Navy electrician). Also ran diagnostic turn on the bike test which repeatedly failed at the close throttle part of the test. I checked the microswitch at the box where the cables run into the box by the air filter and found that the switch was good. Traced wiring to the CCU, could go no farther. I guess I'm one of those unfortunate few who have had this unit fail. Boy, how I'm missing the cruise control on the highway. Dealer should have the part next week (I hope).

Yea I hear ya...never would'a thought I be jones'n for a cruise control but do I ever miss it when it ain't there!

It has saved my butt many a time when I pop over the hill and guess who is sitting there, looking up the barrel, right at me...doing the 'grace' over the limit :whistle :dance.

I have looked at a replacement for the RT on occasion, but the lack of cruise is the deal breaker!

Jim

Sorry to hear about your cruise control. I use mine a lot on my 08 and it has been trouble free. The main reason I bought my RT was the availability of the options such as the cruise control, heated seats & grips, ESA, ASC and most of all the radio. I had a 06 Gold Wing and it was my first bike with a radio and it was the only thing that I liked about the bike. I have looked at C14's and FJR's but it you want a true sport touring bike there is nothing out there that comes close to the RT. :dance

Every failure I have heard of (not many) has been due to one of the micro switches. There is one for the clutch up top and there is a switch for both brakes. I good friend of mine had his cruise disabled by the switch on the rear brake. I have been very lucky and not had any trouble. Almost. On three occasions my cruise failed to activate. On all three occasions I stopped, shut the bike and cruise off then turned it all back on. All was well after. I think I may have caused it by not letting the bike cycle through the self test when starting. My 05 has 91,300 miles and counting.

Mine failed early. A replacement handlebar switch assembly fixed it. I heard of other switch replacements but never (yet) the control unit.

I'll let you guys know after the unit is replaced next week (hopefully). I had read a few post in various forums about handlebar switches failing. When running the diagnostic test, cruise control on/off, set, and resume switches pass, can't get to the handlebar switch test because of the failure of the close throttle part not passing. I did meter out that switch and it is good. Hopefully, the only problem is the CCU and not a series of problems.

My switch stopped working the first day on my '07. Since it worked on and off it took several visits to get it repaced. 45,000 miles now and no issues with the replacement.

Fixed at last (I hope)

It has been a while getting this post, but hopefully this will provide help for someone with the same problem in the future. I took the bike in to the dealer, who realized they had ordered the wrong part(s), so returning a week later, service department says it's not the CU unit that is bad, it is the throttle switch that is intermittent, so it got replaced. Ride home, CC works 4.0 (that's naval aviation for working as specified). Next day, I go for an extended ride, and guess what is acting intermittent again? You guessed it! Being a little frustrated at this juncture, and plenty of ridding time to trouble shoot, I started checking switches on the fly when the system would engage (repeated each of these several times to validate). Master swithch, disengage/re-engage (check). Close throttle switch, disengage/re-engage (check). Hand brake, disengage/re-engage (check). Foot brake, disengage/re-engage (check). Clutch switch, disengage, but.... not always re-engaging. Aha moment! So, when I get home, pull out the Haynes manual, pull out the bottom plate and the micro-switch. Actually two switches stacked together.) Did a visual check and the bottom switch's plunger is all gunked up. After spraying it down with RS contact cleaner/lubricant and blowing it out with low pressure air, reassymbled everything, and let it dry for two days (rain delay). Took the bike out today for a 200 mile run, and CC worked 4.0 every time. Hope this is the end of the problem, it riding season and a lot of mile need to be covered.

Back