• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

06RT doesn't like BMW charger?

final posting: battery charger issue

Just when I thought I had, through the help of many others, solved the battery charger problem, I have reread the information coming with the $139 BMW ,allegedly canbus friendly, charger and it specifically states that it is specifically designed for lead-acid batteries! Having read about the problems with overcharging gel type batteries, I opted for Dave's original suggestion and hooked my gel battery BMW charger directly to the battery; I have heard that in 07 BMW changed back to lead-acid batteries and this might be part of the problem. The good news: I will bring the "new"charger to West Bend and give it to the first one who inquires, for the price of a glass of local suds. Thanks again to all for the help...wj

To further confuse the issue. I've been charging my '06 RT with the 688 885 BMW charger since the bike was delivered in Dec., 2005.

As the instructions said nothing about turning on the ignition, I've been simply plugging the charger into the bike's accessory socket and then into the 120v AC - without touching the ignition. 95% of the time, it reports green-green within an hour or so. The remaining 5%, it stays red - so after hooking up the charger as above, I briefly (about 5 seconds ) turn the ignition on and off, and it then works.

I don't pretend to understand CanBus or the fact that the charger has a label which says to always check the electrolyte level first. I'm simply reporting what has worked on my bike.

Ain't technology grand?

My experience

I tried to follow the steps outlined throughout this thread on my 2006 RT and I never had any success. I was using, and still use, the "Battery Tenderer". I ended up hard-wiring the rear socket directly to the battery and now it is a none issue. I still have my socket up front that I left unaltered.

There is a glitch in their non-fuse electrical system that I hope BMW is solving for the RT's still to be built.

Gus

Back