• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

06RT doesn't like BMW charger?

lawman

after much anticipation I finally swapped my 2000 RT for a (new) 2006 RT; for obvious reasons there is no bike riding in ND this time of the year. After trailering the new bike home I plugged the BMW gel charger into the onboard socket, just as I had done on by 00 model after getting a gel battery; the initial indication was the same (solid red) indicating the battery was being charged; upon returning about six hour later the battery was fully charged but the indication was a blinking red light meaning "battery not connected properly." On the prior bike it would indicate green meaning the charge was complete and it was entering the "float' stage. I have let the battery run down a bit (lights on) to retest the system. It again went from solid red to blinking red and did charge the battery; any opinions on the diffenence beween the systems; I was very happy with the "float" mode while keeping the battery charged over the long winter months and do not want to harm the battery or the electronics. I note that the charger puts out a max of 1.25amps which is well within the tolerance of the new system . Thanks....wj

I went from '04 to '06 and found the same thing----I just wired a permanent line directly to the battery and plug the float charger in there insted for using the power outlet's----tyr that Apple

BMW Battery Charger

My instructions state:
Plug charger into bike.
Turn Bike key to on
Plug in battery charger to AC outlet
Turn bike key off.

Give it a try!

With a CanBus bike, you either need to wire directly to the battery (easy) or get the charger that works with the CanBus and keeps the ciruit to the battery open (more expensive).

With two CanBus bikes in the house, I'm going to get a regular 4 bike Battery Tender and put a pigtail on the batteries.

Here We Go Again!

My instructions state:
Plug charger into bike.
Turn Bike key to on
Plug in battery charger to AC outlet
Turn bike key off.

Give it a try!

Note: What follows is for a 2007 Canbus bike

I am getting a headache!!!! In several previous postings on this topic the "instructions" [I will come back to WHERE you find printed instructions] state that you: #1 Turn on bike and go through "check" mode; #2 Plug in charger to BMW power socket; #3 Plug in A/C charger power cord to wall plug; and, #4 Turn off ignition..

FYI the BMW Owners Manual for my 2007 GSA says to only use the AGM Charger # PN: 71 60 7 688 865 for charging through socket/Canbus with battery installed in bike..futher more the Manual refers you to the charger instruction pamphlet for hook-up instruction, the damn manual does not tell you how to hook up the charger! And guess what the BMW Charger # PN: 71 60 7 688 865 instruction booklet that was delivered today with the charger does not mention the above sequence of hooking up the charger!!!!
Unbelievable...BMW are you listening!

So where Mr. Bee read the instruction is of GREAT interest to me...

Thanks....Phil:::brow

Ps...More to follow as the charger is now on my bike...

still looking for options

thanks for the suggestions; when I followed the recommended protocol, the first two cycles worked as advertised: charging, 80% charged I left it on overnight and this am the solid red light appeared; after recycling it went to the 80% mode for four minutes then solid red again; looks like I'll try the alligator clips to the battery option and look for the proper charger since I really like the convenience of the plug in method; where do I look for the charger? is the P/N provided for a BMW sourced item? thanks again, suds on me at at West Bend when we bump into one another...wj

Lawman... More Details Please ..

I hooked up '688 865' charger yesterday afternoon it started at "LED 0" with a green light on showing correct hookup and operation...last night at 2100 hrs is showed "LED 3/3" still with the green light showing correct operation...this morning at 0900 hrs is still shows "LED 3/3" still with the green light showing correct operation....we shall see...

So far so good....the error or red LED has two signals; one is steady burning and other is flashing... steady burn [Lawman] indicates a ["short-circuit at the charging terminals, battery connected to the wrong poles"] error....soooooo, I would assume you are not using the charger required for charging through the Canbus/power socket ...which again is BMW PN: 71 60 7 688 865 [described in Owners Manual] ....I went round and round with the shop that sold me my bike and a WRONG BMW charger...finally, after checking with BMW and me bombarding them with information from forums on this topic [over three+ weeks] they had to admit that they sold me the wrong charger and only the above charger is allowed/correctly programmed by BMW for charging through the socket, so I just got the correct charger delivered yesterday..

The saga continues....really too bad, this is my first BMW and my first time experience with anything "BMW"... so far in many attempts to get definitive information from BMWNA or even the shop I bought the bike from I have found that BMW information and technical support sucks! Especially terrible considering the premium prices you pay for anything BMW....but I do love the bike!

Phil:::;)

2007 R1200GS Adventure

Ps..I know this is repeat information..but neither the Owners Manual or information booklet that came with BMW charger mentions the "correct hook-up sequence" mentioned above for charging through the socket...what is up with that?

Pps..Lawman...I believe this charger is required from 2005 on bikes for using Canbus socket...

Sorry I broke the code

Wallowa, there was a piece of paper from BMW in the charger box. Thats were I read the information. I purchased it from a BMW dealer. Maybe they put the instruction in there. Looked like something copied from the internet, from BMW.

Brad,
You're right the dealer should have explained the proceedure at time of purchase. I guess thats why I went with a Centech direct to the battery and an aux. plug that way I could use my battery tender that I had for my 1150GS.

FYI From A&S BMW On-line Catalog: Note Sequence

"BMW Battery Charger - AGM Battery
Price: $139.00

Keywords: R1200GS, R1200ST, R1200RT, K1200S, K1200R, maintenence, electronics

The only battery charger that can safely charge the AGM (Absorption Glass Mat) battery on the R1200GS.

ATTENTION!!!! You must first turn the key on to the bike, then you plug the charger into the accessory socket, then you plug the charger into the wall for power, then you turn the key off.
Failure to do it this way will result in the charger not charging the battery and overheating."

Hope this helps; but even this is confusing, since "The only battery charger that can safely charge the AGM (Absorption Glass Mat) battery on the R1200GS." does not explicitly state when charging through the power socket...and you must wait for the computer to run the diagnostic "check" before plugging in charger to bike..

Phil

When I bought my '06 R12RT last April, the dealer suggested just wiring a charger (suitable for the gel battery in the RT) directly to the battery. It was not a BMW charger. I think they recommended this option simply because the BMW "CANBUS" charger, and its connection sequence, was causing too much confusion. You will also have noted that some BMWs have gel batteries, and some AGM.

Well, stuff like this thread sure kill the new bike urge for me. Good Grief. What a pain in the butt for something as simple as charging the battery.

Well, stuff like this thread sure kill the new bike urge for me. Good Grief. What a pain in the butt for something as simple as charging the battery.

Just something new to learn.

Personally, I just plug it in under the seat. The battery is readily accessible, which certainly wasn't the case with our oilheads.

Report on my new charger..'07GSA

First..a comment..not to buy a bike cuz of mis-information about the correct way to charge a motorcycle is fuzzy logic...just because BMW is not clear or forth coming about technical issues doesn't make the bike a POS...just my opinion..so far I love my GSA.

My 865 Charger worked through the 0..1/3...2/3..3/3 LED function lights right on cue...then would go back to 2/3 from 3/3 or drop all the way back to "0" and quickly runs through the "driving simulation cycle" [BMW's term] back up to the full indicator at 3/3...I was working in shop and watched the charger cycle throught the maintenance cycle..

Bottom line, to this point all is good...my 71 60 60 7 688 865 BMW charger does exactly what it is advertised to do...it charges and maintains the AGM battery through a plug which utilizes the external BMW power socket....simple and easy..

Remember my bike is a '07 R1200GS Adventure, with Canbus and AGM battery...the year, model and electronics of your bike does make a difference.

Phil...:thumb

Dave is right

Tom-Dave is right, as usual; in addition, the trade offs for this fine machine more than makes up for the additional hassle, for many of us; good luck....wj

BMW Charger

Before you plug the charger into the bike you must turn the ignition on. Then plug the charger up and then turn the ignition off.:beer

Errrr ..Sorta

What has worked for me and what BMW published in service bulletin:

#1 Turn on key..wait for "check" to initalize system [about 15 secs], leave ignition on..

#2 Plug charger into power socket on bike...

#3 Plug charger AC plug into wall outlet..

#4 Turn off ignition..

Then RELAX!

Phil::

charger update

just an update on the charger problem; thanks to Phil and others and their analysis of the problem, I opted for the "new" style charger under the item number offered; arrived from Bob's in a timely manner and using the suggested method it works perfectly; one point of interest, in the included instructions there is not only no mention of the suggested method but all references are to a two lead charger not the BMW specific plug model; thanks to all, again...wj

Back