• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

02 R1100S drivetrain failure

cantsurf

Good day!
Riding along the highway, 75MPH, all of a sudden the RPMS go way up and it feels like I'm in a false neutral.
It seems as though something has disengaged in drivetrain.
Bike has 56K miles, well maintained. Is there some problem that arises on oilheads of this vintage?
Thanks,
Cantsurf

Have you had any shifting issues? When my input shaft was on the way out I was having trouble shifting.
When it did go it would just rattle and not move the bike.

Good luck.

Yes, unfortunately the most likely problem is a failure of the splines at the clutch hub and transmission input shaft. If you remove the starter motor, you can look into that opening and see the area where they meet. Put the bike in gear and turn the rear wheel. If one part rotates and the other doesn't, there's the problem. If you are lucky, it could be just the clutch splines and the transmission splines might still be okay (not likely, but possible). Either way, this requires splitting the bike and removing the rear end of the bike.

Could possibly be a drive shaft failure. Others will have to give you the symptoms of that.

Betting it's the clutch hub splines that have stripped. Lots written on this issue.
Report back with your findings, there are some better non OE replacement options.

Back