• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'02 K1200RS Headlight question

BigAuggie

I have an '02 with a burnt out low beam. I'm looking for suggestions on upgrades that anyone has tried and liked.

Auggie,

Welcome to the Flying Brick section of the Forum!

We request that you always include the year and model of your brick in the TITLE of any thread that you start here. That way no one is asking "an '02 what?". It attracts more people with similar bikes to give you more relevant info. It also makes searching past threads easier for similar info.

After searching through your previous posts, I found your model and have added it to your title.

:dance:dance:dance

Rdubarton,

If you had read my WHOLE post, you would have seen that I added that to his title 9 hours after he posted it. The title originally had no mention of year or model and the post only indicated that he was asking about an '02, with no mention of what model '02.

:dance:dance:dance

My vote is for supplemental driving lights rather than an upgrade. That way, if either fail for any reason, you still have light. Plus you have options of how much light you put out and when you do it.

HID low beam at 35 watt is fantastic. Get a low temp rating so it is not toooo blue to be able to use. Too blue and they do you no good at all, just irritate and hurt on coming drivers/riders. The kits Pirate's Lair sells are great and an easy install, well, on pre-2002 K1200RS/GT. I did the install without taking off any Tupperware. But there are plenty of DIY's out there for your model. You don't really want to go with a much higher wattage halogen bulb due to the increased heat output that has been known to fry the housings and wiring. Regardless of your decision, consider upgrading the ground wire to a heavier gauge.

Or consider DDM Tuning's HID's - Click here. $45 + plus shipping is very attractive. I have a set in my '03 K1200RS (low & High) and a set (again low & high) in my '90 VW Vanagon Westphalia :thumb

I had to drill a hole in the dust guard to clear DDM's watertight cover. YMMV

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection DDM Tuning save as customer.

Back