• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT Radio Removal

oldcarman

My 96 R1100RT came with the BMW radio installed in the left pocket. I would prefer to remove the radio so I have an open pocket for stuff. I just ordered the Clymer manual so hopefully it will give instructions on this procedure. Any input from someone that has done this is appreciated. Thanks, jim

You'll want to remove more then just the radio from the radio holder (requires the special tool mentioned). If you remove the left side body panel I believe it will be apparent how to remove the radio and the radio holder from the compartment. I don't think you'll need any special tools to remove everything radio related.

I removed the radio from my 96 a few years ago. I have the “special “ tool it was in with the BMW owners manual when I purchased the bike from the PO. I also removed all the related hardware so I could have extra storage. As I remember it wasn’t hard to do but it is not water proof storage. It is a great place to store a bottle of oil when on a long trip.

I just removed my radio and am in the process of turning it into a glove box the radio comes out fairly easily once you get all the stuff off. I did not remove the antenna housing or the speakers. but did remove the handle controls and most of the radio wiring harness. I have a piece of gray PVC sheet 1/4 thick that will be going into the bottom to cover my wire leads and installed into that PVC will be my new usb ports and aux cords that go to my intercom system as well as conceal my leads for the GPS power and aux line. I did not need the special tool because someone was in there before my and jammed a tons of wires in there. good luck

Thanks for the help. I did get mine removed and back together. Once the left side panel is removed, lot of screws of various lengths, remove the plastic trim panel on the top of the pocket, four screws. There are three cables going into the front side of the pocket. I had to remove the rubber grommets for each cable to free up the cables. Next use the two special tools, wire loops, to remove / unplug the radio from the connector in the bottom of the pocket. Lift and wiggle the radio to free it from the bracket and lift it out of the pocket. Next remove the radio installation bracket, held in by 4 small phillips-head screws. I removed the antenna next. It is held in by one 8mm nut on the inside of the fairing. If you look inside the fairing you can see the nut and there is enough room to get a wrench on the nut, so it can be loosened and removed. I found a nice looking rubber plug, at ACE hardware, to plug the antenna hole. If desired, remove the handle bar controls and cable, held on by two screws. I did not remove my speakers, but will do so some time in the future. Re-install the plastic trim panel on the top of the pocket. I next used black duct tape, in and out of the pocket to cover the three holes. Ty-wrap up the remaining radio cables inside the fairing. Re-install the side pane. Now I have a nice big pocket for stuff. I tried to add a couple pictures showing the pocket and cables, by using the "insert image" function, but wasn't able to make this work. oldcarman jim

Looking to buy a complete radio set up for my r1100RT

Thanks for the help. I did get mine removed and back together. Once the left side panel is removed, lot of screws of various lengths, remove the plastic trim panel on the top of the pocket, four screws. There are three cables going into the front side of the pocket. I had to remove the rubber grommets for each cable to free up the cables. Next use the two special tools, wire loops, to remove / unplug the radio from the connector in the bottom of the pocket. Lift and wiggle the radio to free it from the bracket and lift it out of the pocket. Next remove the radio installation bracket, held in by 4 small phillips-head screws. I removed the antenna next. It is held in by one 8mm nut on the inside of the fairing. If you look inside the fairing you can see the nut and there is enough room to get a wrench on the nut, so it can be loosened and removed. I found a nice looking rubber plug, at ACE hardware, to plug the antenna hole. If desired, remove the handle bar controls and cable, held on by two screws. I did not remove my speakers, but will do so some time in the future. Re-install the plastic trim panel on the top of the pocket. I next used black duct tape, in and out of the pocket to cover the three holes. Ty-wrap up the remaining radio cables inside the fairing. Re-install the side pane. Now I have a nice big pocket for stuff. I tried to add a couple pictures showing the pocket and cables, by using the "insert image" function, but wasn't able to make this work. oldcarman jim
.Thank you
Would anyone like to sell their radio set up that they removed?Im looking for the entire set up,not necessarily the speakers but would buy them if you have the whole system

.Thank you
Would anyone like to sell their radio set up that they removed?Im looking for the entire set up,not necessarily the speakers but would buy them if you have the whole system

I don’t have the radio but I have the bracket and the wiring. It’s still in the bike I just bought and I was gonna remove it as it won’t be used. ‘99 RT

Back