• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello Wyoming Riders!

rockers

I'm in the process of planning a western States Tour for some of my European friends. We plan on renting bikes in Colorado and do a 3 week loop out west.

We plan on entering Wyoming from Idaho at Yellowstone and spending a couple days there. From Yellowstone heading east to Cody, then Thermopolis, Riverton to Rawlins, then over the Snowy range to Laramie.

I would appreciate any input on the route or suggested changes (pavement please) and also any recommendations for lodging and places to eat & see. Prefer reasonable and if possible unique!

Thanks
Bob Alexander
08 BMW RA Rally Chair

Wyoming tour

You should leave Yellowstone at the northeast entrance (Silver Gate) and follow US 212 through Cook City, then follow the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway over Dead Indian Pass to Cody. One of the finest mountain motorcycle roads in the US. Between Lander and Rawlins you will follow US 287 through the Sweetwater Valley along the original route of the Oregon Trail, the road west for half-a-million covered wagon pioneers between 1841 and 1868. You will find the country little changed from those historic times. Highway 130 over the Snowy Range is another great mountain ride, as is WY 70 west from Encampment over Battle Pass, although that may be out of your way.

If it fits your plans, have dinner at Svilar's supper club in Hudson between Riverton and Lander. The finest steak house in the US, period. The historic Wolf Hotel in Saratoga is a great lunch stop, as is the Old Corral in Centennial. In Cody I'd suggest the Irma Hotel for any meal. There is also a good Mexican place on the east end of the main drag.

Hotels: Buffalo Bill Village in Cody, the Holiday Inn in Riverton, Best Westerns in Lander and Rawlins. I think the Holiday Inn of the Waters hotel and spa in Thermopolis has changed hands. It now may be a Days Inn. It was always a fun place to stay and eat.

Randy Wagner

I agree with all of the above, except for the Old Corral in Centennial. It was a great place to eat until the family that owned it sold it some years ago. I went in once after it was sold and won't go again. That was about four years ago, so it may have changed hands again but I haven't heard that it has. It still has the reputation of years ago but is definitely not the same. Instead, try the Beartree, just up the street. Go around back to get into the bar portion, which is livelier and roomier than the front. They have live music sometimes and the food is usually good. A friendly place with locals, hikers, bikers, whatever. :dance

Chief Joseph Highway is great. :thumb

Hi,
I lived in Lander many years ago. It was there that I uncrated my brand new, straight from Dunstall's shop, Dunstall-Norton 810 Mk.II. I've eaten at Svilar's once, over 30 years ago. It was wonderful. However, if you're ever in El Paso, look me up. We'll have to go to Cattlemens Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch.

On some maps, the Chief Joseph Highway is marked as Sunlight Basin. If you're there, you might as well ride the Beartooth Highway.

Wyo Ride

Hi Bob
I live in Sinclair Wy, Be glad to show you around the southern part of Wy. We have never met but I think you live in Upson Wi. I was born and raised there about three miles from there, my cousin lives in Upson. Rawlins has a lot of wide open highways, but the range is the best kept secret in Wy. Need more info, we can get in touch

Ron

Hi All,
I just wanted to say I was able to do a small tour of Wy and some of Utah two years ago, and I pray too God that I can get back there on a bike some day soon. You have a beautiful state, good roads, wonderful scenery - enjoy it. :thumb

Don't Miss the Black Hills

If you have time and you are that close I would certainly think you wouldn't want to miss the Black Hills. Great Roads that are clean and well marked.

Douglas

I'm in the process of planning a western States Tour for some of my European friends. We plan on renting bikes in Colorado and do a 3 week loop out west.

We plan on entering Wyoming from Idaho at Yellowstone and spending a couple days there. From Yellowstone heading east to Cody, then Thermopolis, Riverton to Rawlins, then over the Snowy range to Laramie.

I would appreciate any input on the route or suggested changes (pavement please) and also any recommendations for lodging and places to eat & see. Prefer reasonable and if possible unique!

Thanks
Bob Alexander
08 BMW RA Rally Chair

Hey Bobby -

Beware the dawn and dusk "rush hour" of Haliburton contractors and their parade of SUVs and Company pickups. Their new network of gas and oil rigs dot the Wyoming landscape and disrupt migration and feeding patterns of deer and antelope, due to their bright night-time illumination.

Not a pretty picture....

J.K. :wow

Many good suggestions already, especially the Chief Joseph/Sunlight Basin route and the Beartooth Loop. Here's another idea for your NW WY segment - leave YSNP by E entrance to Cody (Teddy Roosevelt claimed it is the most scenic 50 miles in the US), then go North to Chief Joseph Hwy through Sunlight Basin to junction w/Cooke City-Red Lodge Hwy (Beartooth Hwy). Take E to Red Lodge, spend the night, wet your whistle at the Snow Creek Saloon, then eat across the street at the Carbon County Steakhouse. Thursday nights they have steamed mussels that are fantastic. You will have traveled some of the most scenic and motorcyle-friendly miles in all of the lower 48.
Can then take the hwy from Red Lodge to Belfry MT, then south along the front range back to Hwy 120 to Cody (you'd only be re-tracing about 17 miles of road you'd previously traveled) really should see the Buffalo Bill Historical center museum complex as suggested by someone earlier, and stay at the Irma Hotel in one of their period restoration rooms if overnighting) and continue on 120 South to Meeteetse. Another wet whistle and chow stop at the Elkhorn Bar and/or Cowboy Bar (Butch Cassidy was arrested leaving the Cowboy, don't let it happen to you!). I split time between Iowa and WY but if I happen to be at my cabin 2 miles out of Meeteetse I could meet you for a beer and local tour (cell# 319-321-2122). Hwy 120 south will take you to Thermopolis (soak in hot springs water parks) and then on south to Shoshone/Riverton/Lander and routes previouslly suggested by others. Have a great trip, Chip Walter, Iowa City, IA and Meeteetse, WY. R1200RT

Back