• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Texas Reportedly Says No Polaris Slingshots

To give this thread some BMW-relevance, the issue really goes back to the early 2000's when a guy I used to know in Dallas became the US importer for the GG Quad:

th

It was built in Switzerland using the draivetrain and many other bits from a BMW R1150. To get it sold in USA, the guy in Dallas had to convince several states that what defined a motorcycle wasn't the number of wheels, but having 'motorcycle-like characteristics.'

None of this was a big deal to that manufacturer back in Switzerland. To get them sold in Switzerland they were equipped with trailer-hitches (available as an option in USA) so that they could be loop-holed as 'farm vehicles.'

I think we saw a version with a K -Wedge engine in West Bend...It looked fun. There were licensing issues I recall from the rep at the rally.

I read somewhere where they only sold 29 of the GG Quads in the entire U.S.
No wonder, it was $70K for basically a R1150 with two extra wheels thrown in. :eek
They do look pretty though.

I think we saw a version with a K -Wedge engine in West Bend...

That was the "Quadster" vs. the "GG Quad".

Since neither of those seemed to make it, GG's trying again with the Taurus; same K engine but this time with only three wheels. I guess they got tired of trying to convince The States that motorcycles have four wheels. But that was last April, 2014. Still no current information about pricing.

gg-taurus-rr.jpg
gg-taurus-rf.jpg

I think Texas is right. It's a car in every way except the number of wheels and should have to meet car standards.

Virginia has just declared the Slingshot to be an autocycle and as such a bike license is not required but a helmet is. A couple of years ago the law changed in VA and everyone with an M endorsement is grandfathered in but new licensee's will be either M2 or M3 depending on whether they tested on a 2 wheel or 3 wheel bike. If you test on both you get the coveted M.

Virginia has just declared the Slingshot to be an autocycle and as such a bike license is not required but a helmet is. A couple of years ago the law changed in VA and everyone with an M endorsement is grandfathered in but new licensee's will be either M2 or M3 depending on whether they tested on a 2 wheel or 3 wheel bike. If you test on both you get the coveted M.

"Autocycle"
.... that's a new one for me.

Not to hijack your post, but how you do business in VA versus WI is an example of how different cycle laws can be from state to state.

In Wisconsin, if you earn your motorcycle endorsement on two wheels, you do not need any separate endorsement to go out and buy a trike.

But earn your motorcycle endorsement on a trike, and you're restricted to three wheels, unless you take another road test on two - then can operate a conventional motorcycle.

Take your Basic Rider Course on a scooter, and you earn a motorcycle endorsement and can go out and buy a Gold Wing the next day.

Like I've said before - every state can be different, especially when it comes to the Slingshot. Likely to be no problem if just passing thru any state, but take up residency while possessing one of those, and you may fall under new rules or even find it prohibited from public roadways.

Thanks for sharing your VA specifics. :wave

Just like with the Elio company, I bet Polaris is already lobbying legislators in those states that the motor vehicle laws aren't friendly to their vehicle with an eye toward modifying those laws.

Virginia did not "invent" autocycle for Slingshot but for a Virginia manufacturer for Tanom Invader in Culpeper, VA. (http://www.dailyprogress.com/starex...cle_494d7932-752c-11e3-bff4-0019bb30f31a.html)

The definition per Virginia Code is "Autocycle means a three-wheeled motor vehicle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride and is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles. Except as otherwise provided, an autocycle shall not be deemed to be a motorcycle."

They added helmets here: "Every person operating a motorcycle or autocycle shall wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles, or have his motorcycle or autocycle equipped with safety glass or a windshield at all times while operating the vehicle, and operators and any passengers thereon shall wear protective helmets."

MOTORCYCLIST Mag Reports Slingshot Stop Sales/Stop Ride

Interesting to note that Motorcyclist Magazine is reporting #POLARIS issues STOP SALE/STOP RIDE alert to #SLINGSHOT dealers. Read more on their site: http://mtrcycl.st/x7BHrk

A Slingshot passed me today on my way home from Payson. It was hauling pretty good...I was doing 75...so I didn't get a good look at it but it's sure weird looking...kinda ugly IMO. And low to the ground...I towered above it on my RT. First one I've seen in real life.

There was one at the Austin Convention Center this past weekend as part of a display at the home show selling something.
As wide as a Miata and no way a motorcycle, though a cool track car no doubt.

Still not approved for street use in TX .

Saw a few at Deal's Gap while riding the Dragon this past Thursday.

Not impressed. :dunno

I view it basically as a Dodo bird with a transmission (or at best, eventually a limited-production toy for the 'rich and famous' crowd).

Last edited:
I've seen two in the wild and was unimpressed both times.

It's a car, not a motorcycle. When I ride my Ural, I sit astride the bike and grab a pair of handlebars. It's a three-wheeled motorcycle.

Go Lone Star State DMV! (And how often, if ever, that sentence been typed?)

I've seen two in the wild and was unimpressed both times.

It's a car, not a motorcycle. When I ride my Ural, I sit astride the bike and grab a pair of handlebars. It's a three-wheeled motorcycle.

Go Lone Star State DMV! (And how often, if ever, that sentence been typed?)

That's got to be a FIRST! :deal

And that 'hack' of yours is a great motorcycle! :thumb

Back