• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Good luck with it Ctrod, chasing down some of these issues to find the actual culprit can be frustrating and time consuming.

I'm still amazed at how far these units have come over the past decade, but they do operate in a harsh environment and tracking down the glitches can take time.

One of the things I try to do is identify:
  1. is there just one problem, or more problems
  2. are any or all of them present when the GPS is out of its mount
If problems are present while out of the GPS, than it is a problem with the unit itself and I go through the elimination process (I may be using the wrong terms here):
  1. Cycle the power (restart the GPS) - then test
  2. Reboot (hold down power button 10~ sec., to recycle) - then test
  3. System boot (power off, then while placing one finger on the upper right corner of the screen turn the device on and follow directions) - then test
  4. Reinstall (go back to factory defaults etc., using the Garmin process and software) - then test

If the issue only exists when mounted, than it is likely a connection, power or controller issue. Naturally, YMMV.

I believe that issue was actually fixed several months ago (December) with the Garmin Software update v4.90. In either case, glad it's working for you, sure is frustrating when our fancy bobbles don't do what we expected them to, and it feels good when they do.

I still can't get the media player to work. I just updated again this weekend.

There are a few members here who had that same problem Buck, but were able to fix it. Hopefully, they'll chime in and try to help.
I don't use the media player, so unfortunately can provide any real insight there.

2017.5 R12GS
This is so timely for me.
I've been off the bike for 3 weeks and went and turned on the ignition and had no GPS screen.
After starting and running it a few minutes the screen came back.
I assume the NAV VI battery must have run down.
I did not know this. The 'shut off' message is pretty misinforming. Now I know, thanks.

Now for the other timely issue...
I bought the Sena SRL unit for my new Neotec 2. This is the first intercom I've ever owned.
They seem more hassle than worth, but my buddy has a Sena so it might come in handy.
So, the Nav VI will pair to my iPhone 6, it sees the Sena but fails to pair.
Having read whatever I could find, I updated the Nav VI software to the latest, then updated the frimware on the SRL (1.0.3).
Still the Nav VI won't pair to the Sena, and neither will the phone...
At moments the phone sees the Sena by name but it never pairs.
Very frustrate with these gizmos.

Last edited:
... So, the Nav VI will pair to my iPhone 6, it sees the Sena but fails to pair...
If this is failing, there is no point in moving forward because there is either an issue with the Sena, your phone, or the process being followed (don't take it the wrong way - it has happened to me. I call Sena Support 1-2 years ago after not being able to get a unit to pair only to discover that I'd been repeating the same mistake over and over, simply had a mental block or something. ;-)

... Having read whatever I could find, I updated the Nav VI software to the latest, then updated the frimware on the SRL (1.0.3)...
That's the correct starting point. So, everything is correct there. At this point, if you haven't already, I'd suggest doing a factory reset. Sometimes a corrupt pairing needs to be "blown away" to get results. That may not be what is occuring with your situation, but it is the proper step to take to eliminate it as a culprit.

Sena SLR Manual - If you have previously paired a mobile phone to the SRL, you must clear the previous paring list on both devices; the mobile phone and SRL. To clear the pairing list on SRL, please do a factory reset or follow the pairing list clearing procedure

Sena SLR Manual - RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS
  1. To restore the SRL to factory default settings, press the Center Button for 12 seconds until you hear high-toned double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Configuration menu”.
  2. Tap the (-) Button twice and you will hear a voice prompt saying “Factory reset”.
  3. Within 5 seconds, tap the Center Button to confirm reset. The headset will be restored to factory setting and switched off automatically. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Headset reset, good-bye”.

As far as pairing is concerned, make sure you follow the Sena directions in the manual and not someone's "workaround" suggestions (unless all else fails).
Pair the phone first, then the GPS. It is very important that you listen for and heard the Sena voice prompts/responses. If you don't hear these something is wrong somewhere along the process or with the gear.

... Still the Nav VI won't pair to the Sena, and neither will the phone...
At moments the phone sees the Sena by name but it never pairs...
Again, don't take this the wrong way, you may indeed be having an issue with the unit itself, but for me, I've had four Sena units over the years (all are still working and pairing fine). The only one that gave me trouble turned out to be due to my not following the directions properly and continuing to repeat a mistake. I called Sena support and they walked me through it in no time at all. I immediately felt stupid when I realized what I'd done and that I knew better, but I had just gotten caught up in not stepping back and re-reading everything. At the point that I was at, re-reading might not have helped, but the Support Dept., did right away. Some folks seem to have had bad experiences with that Dept., but my two interactions were both good.

Hope this helps a little, good luck.

Thanks, So I need to reset the NAV VI as well.
Can that be done on the bike?

Since I updated the Nav I get the 2 screens asking me to acccept terms etc.
Up until now (except maybe when it was first on the bike) I don't get those screens. It would go right to the Where Too? etc screen...

Thanks, So I need to reset the NAV VI as well.
Can that be done on the bike?

Since I updated the Nav I get the 2 screens asking me to acccept terms etc.
Up until now (except maybe when it was first on the bike) I don't get those screens. It would go right to the Where Too? etc screen...
You just need to reset the bluetooth. Settings, bluetooth, select the three bars and restore.

What he said (Pat).

From within the Nav-VI Bluetooth settings remove the listed Sena SRL and phone, so that you are starting with a blank slate for the Nav-VI. Do the same with your phone, and the Sena unit. Leaving any of these connections in any of the three units can run the risk of having everything fail as they may keep some of the old settings which may have been causing the problem. This doesn't mean doing all of this will fix the issue, just that it is the proper way to attempt to fix it.

Write down the steps you want to take and tick themm off as you do. If all of that fails than call Sena and read them what you've tried.

On the SRL there doesn't seem to be a 'Configuration' voice command.
There is a Reset hole on the unit you use a paperclip to reset it.
Of course there is nothing that tells you that it's reset, no voice, no light, so no way of telling if it worked.

I tried the iPhone this morning after the questionable reset
I deleted all the Bluetooth items on the phone, then tried to pair the phone.
You push the center button on the SRL for 12 seconds, it says "Intercom Pairing"
The SRL comes up on the phone but does not connect.

Haven't tried the Nav yet.

So maybe I'm going about this all wrong...missing the concept.
I should be pairing the iPhone to the Nav VI (instead of pairing the SRL with the iPhone) and pairing the SRL also to the Nav.
That way I listen to the iPhone thru the Media on the Nav, that about right?

I want to use it as a com (pair to a friends Sena as well), listen to my iPhone music (iTunes, Spotify), and hear GPS commands.
I've been trying to pair the SRL to the iphone and also pair the SRL to the Nav

Pair Nav VI with SRL and iPhone

Rapiddog, we are in the same boat. The best result I've found so far is to pair both devices directly to the Nav VI. Do not pair the iPhone directly to the SRL. You can pair the iPhone directly to the Nav VI AND directly to the SRL (using the "second phone pairing" channel under the Configuration menu) but I found things didn't work as well. For example, you can't control the Media Player either through the Nav VI or by using Voice Commands with the SRL. Only directly through the iPhone screen, which, with gloves on, is near impossible.

So for me, so far, if I ONLY pair the iPhone directly with the Nav VI AND directly pair the SRL to the Nav VI, I can control the Media Player by using Voice Commands via. the SRL, hear GPS turn directions, and use the intercom - all at the same time. Oh, and make phone calls. However, I can't use the iPhone Sena App. To do that, I need to first pair the iPhone directly with the SRL, make whatever changes to settings I want to make, then "Forget this Device". If I only "Disconnect" streaming media (I use Spotify) just reconnects itself.

Only rode for the first time with the SRL last Sunday and this is what I found out. You may find a way to make everything work all at once, which would be the ideal.

SRL Configuration Menu

Rapiddog, I see above you had trouble accessing the "configuration" menu. To do this, I found it easiest to do by using the Voice Command. After saying "Hello Sena", and she says "Say a command", say "Configuration". She should then respond with "Configuration Menus". You can then press the + or - buttons to scroll through to the item you want to configure (such as bluetooth pairing). The manual way to activate bluetooth pairing is to hold down the Center button for 12 seconds (or as long as it takes for the light to turn constant Blue).

I have a 20s and so far have found the SRL to be way better. First, the Voice Command feature works very well. I could not get them to work on the 20s. Second, I find the 3 button control much more intuitive than the buttons on the 20s. Thirdly, I find the volume of the SRL speakers inside the Shoei Neotec 2 to be excellent - crystal clear and more than loud enough as long as I'm not wearing ear plugs. At highway speeds I do wear ear plugs and then cannot hear music, but can hear intercom and GPS directions perfectly fine.

Message me directly if you still need help getting setup. It is a bit of a learning curve but well worth it I think.

...Thirdly, I find the volume of the SRL speakers inside the Shoei Neotec 2 to be excellent - crystal clear and more than loud enough as long as I'm not wearing ear plugs. At highway speeds I do wear ear plugs and then cannot hear music, but can hear intercom and GPS directions perfectly fine...

Thanks for that info. I'm considering moving to a Neotec II, with the Sena SRL. Up to this point I've only ever used Sena intercoms with custom-made earbuds, and have never installed the helmet speakers. Obviously, I've been trying to find out how well I'd be able to hear the audio from the speakers, while also wearing ear plugs. I rarely listen to music, so that's not a priority. I'd be happy just to be able to hear other riders, and my GPS (Nav VI).

As an aside, in terms of pairing, with my setup (Nav VI, iPhone X and Sena 10S), I pair the iPhone to the Nav VI, and I pair the Sena to the Nav VI. I do not pair the phone to the Sena. I access the music stored on my phone through the Nav VI's Media App (I don't have a problem using gloves to do this).

Yes marcopolo, you are doing it the same way I outlined for rapiddog above. I also can control the music manually via the Nav VI OR by using Sena Voice Commands.

And marcopolo, just to be clear, I use Alpine ear plugs, NOT the expanding foam type ones you can buy at CVS. The Alpine plugs let you hear some sound but protect your hearing. ( I also wear hearing aids in normal life. But not while riding.)

success

Finally got it figured after making sure everthing was unpaired and resetting the SRL.
SRL needed a voice command 'Configuration', then +/- button to get 'Reset', and then it automatically shut off.
Then it finally came up on the Nav VI and paired.

The iPhone pairing was easy thru the phone to the Nav.
Next was trying to figure volume. Nav VI won't let you adjust volume with the headset paired.
I found volume for music from the iPhone has to be adjusted pretty high, but the sound is great.

That said, if you have the GPS directions coming in the volume is blasted, way too loud.
So, you need to keep the iPhone volume about half so the GPS voice doesn't over amp the headset.
Weird. Seems to me there should be a volume control either separately or at the same level...

rapiddog, there is a "mixer" that should deal with the issue you mention - balancing the volume between "Navigation" "Media" and "Phone". Go to the "Volume" button on the Nav VI, click on the wrench icon top left corner, there you will see the option to choose the Mixer which has sliders for the three functions. I set "Navigation" to half way and the "Media" to full all the way to the right. Even then, I find "voices" much louder than music. YMMV.

mmm...I'll give that a try, but it seems that if i push the volume (speaker icon) I just get a screen that says voume is contrilee by the ADP@ whatever earphones.
I haven't seen a mixer menu.
But I know you ain't lyin'...
Adjusting the Volume
From the Menu page, touch Volume. Touch
and to adjust the master volume.

To adjust the volume levels for the voice
prompts, the media player, and the phone,
touch Mixer. Adjust the levels as needed.

Question for you Nav VI/SmartLink experts. iPhone 8 with Garmin SmartLink is paired (only) with the Nav VI. I have a Sena 20S that's paired with the Nav VI and a Sena SM10 (for radar detector and iPod audio). A graphic of the various connections is provided below. When the SmartLink app on my iPhone issues an alert (weather or traffic), I get an annoying "beep" that overrides/mutes any audio (iPod or radar detector) coming from the SM10 for about 4-5 seconds. Even with the SM10 off, I still get the "beeps" in my helmet. However, if I'm playing music from my iPhone (through the Nav VI to the Sena 20S) and get a weather/traffic alert, I just get is a banner on the Nav VI and no music interruption. This is the preferred approach for me ... just give me a banner followed by the icon on the map, but no "beeps". Is there a way to turn off the beeps when the iPhone isn't acting as a media player?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-05-04 19.41.25.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-05-04 19.41.25.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 6,457
Uncommanded volume increase after GPScommands

I remember reading , I think in this thread, about a problem that i am having. I cannot find the reference, NAV VI on a 2013 K1600GTL with SENA 30K headsets using earbuds: After the GPS speaks and the sound returns to music, the volume is earsplitting. I have to turn the jog dial just a fraction and it returns to normal. I cannot remember the solution. Can anyone help?

Back