• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which O Ring? '88 RT Rear Brake Cam Lube

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I was talking with someone who helped me with my winter project, and he suggested I take out the brake cam to clean and re-lube, which sounds like a good idea. Looking at the BMW parts fiche, there are two different O Rings indicated for O ring for the cam shaft (both are listed as part #20. FYI, this is not the felt ring, that's listed separately). One O ring is 10x2, while the other O ring is 12 x 1. Is there a way to determine which O rings I need prior to disassembly? The bike 1988 R100 RT.

BMW changed the rear brake cam pre 8/89 or post 8/89. I think the post 8/89 is the 12 x 1 as it lists the Mystic. for that part as well.

I would order both O-Rings. Just in case.
OM

I don't mind spending a bucks or so, but, BMW charges about $5 each for the 12x1. The 10x2 is $0.50 each. I have no idea why the 12x1 is 5 times the cost of the 10x2. Granted, EME has them for $2.50 each, which is better, but still a bit much for my taste. I may change my mind though.

I don't mind spending a bucks or so, but, BMW charges about $5 each for the 12x1. The 10x2 is $0.50 each. I have no idea why the 12x1 is 5 times the cost of the 10x2. Granted, EME has them for $2.50 each, which is better, but still a bit much for my taste. I may change my mind though.

Ordering the wrong size takes up time and, in this case, probably cheaper than the replacement shipping cost.
This is how I deal with O-Ring woes-

IMG_0812.jpg

Both round and square edge style.

OM

I get a lot of my o-rings from McMaster-Carr or my local hydraulics service and supply shop, for two reasons. First is cost, obviously, tho the difference between the two isn’t much on a $0.50 o-ring. For me, the bigger reason is I can select the material composition or durometer hardness I want. For example, the o-rings BMW used in brick-K clutches were buna-n as shipped, and they all tended to last around 65k miles before turning hard enough from heat to crack and start oiling the clutch disk. Replacing that o-ring with a Viton ring, with higher heat tolerance, resolves the issue. Same thing for the o-rings on the cam end covers on 90s oilheads.

It would be a cold day in a hot place before I’d pay $5 apiece for those o-rings, but that’s just me. And, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/o...-of-measurement~metric/width~1-000mm/id~12mm/

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/o...-of-measurement~metric/width~1-000mm/id~12mm/

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Back