• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

90 degree Valve stems

hottech

HOTTECH
Put on a new set of tires and replaced my rubber valve stems with a set of metal 90 degree chrome vlave stems from nomar tire company. Nice looking and much easier to check tire pressure on my R1150R but now I can feel the uneven clippity clump of the rotating wheel at low speeds. The tires were balanced and it is alot less noticeable at higher speeds but I did not feel that sensation with my old rubber straight up valve stems. Am I just being ultra sensitive to my new set of tires or has anyone else out there had the same experience?:scratch

90 degree valve stem

Low speed to me means less than 50 mph. Smooths out or I am less aware of it at 60 or higher mph.

I've used 90 dedree aluminum valves for many of my 2-wheel vehicles.. proper tire balance should solve your uneven feeling... maybe it's just in your head.

tires

The tires were balanced for weight. You need to put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the tires checking for a high spot on the rubber. Another term is out of round.

I've tried to use 90 degree aluminum stems on my 1100RT. Two types: one from a fellow who unfortunately passed away and another set from Kurvy Girl. Niether of them fit properly and leaked. The aluminum stem is just a tiny bit too large for the 1100RT rims and you cannot get a proper seal.

I sure wish they had worked though because it really is a pain trying to get a seal on your pressure tester and air chuck especially on the front two disc wheel! And with all your gear on it gets annoying pretty quick.

90 degree valve stem

I do believe that the tire maybe out of round. Is this a problem that will work itself out in time or is the tire defective and needs to be replaced? I bought it last year from Dennis Kirk and stored it flat under my bed.

I had an out of round Avon Storm front tire several years ago. Mine seemed to get worse as the tire wore.

Be sure to closely check the line around the bead. While certainly I have had defective out of round (lateral as well as up and down) it is possible that the tire is not fully beaded out, or even that your wheel is not quite round anymore....

90 degree valve stem

Tire was well seated when installed, hear two very load pops after inflation. I am pretty sure my alloy wheel is true, had no problems with previous tires. I googled Avon and they do have a warranty for out of round tires so I will be calling them on monday.

Tire was well seated when installed, hear two very load pops after inflation. I am pretty sure my alloy wheel is true, had no problems with previous tires. I googled Avon and they do have a warranty for out of round tires so I will be calling them on monday.

1. Its not your valve stems causing this issue. Does your tire hold air? Kind of obvious but if yes, then tire valves are functioning properly. :thumb

2. I'd check to establish that your tire is in fact out of round before calling Avon. Its very simple to check both the wheel and the tire. Eliminate the variables, then take corrective action.

I had a Avon on the front of my 04 RT last summer that I swore was out of round. Turned out it wasn't seated properly even though I also heard the loud pops that said it was. We broke the tire down again and even with liberal amounts of lube it still took 70 pounds of air pressure to get that puppy to seat properly. Tire seated, backed it off to 40 pounds and no problems since.

Fyi

the 90 degree stems don't work on the RT wheels, because of the bead that runs through the middle of the rim.

the 90 degree stems don't work on the RT wheels, because of the bead that runs through the middle of the rim.

All you need is a file or dremmel and you are good to go, just mark and grind a couple of grooves in the edge of the valve stem and you are good to go. Takes all of 5 minutes.

I installed the 90 degree stem from Kurvy Girl on rear wheel when I recently got new PR3s and have had no issues and did no mod's on stem for fitment. It has worked perfectly. ('09 RT)

Back