• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding to the rally

shuff9392

Greetings. My name is Steve. I live in San Diego and am thinking of riding to the rally in great falls. Looking for anyone interested in riding together.

That’s the spirit. I’ll be coming from Alabama, a week early to work and set up. Hope to see you there sir.

Hi Steve. Two suggestions:

1) fill out your profile a bit so others can see what you ride and what sort of things you like to do on trips. If you’re the type who likes to explore side roads and local attractions along the way it’s no fun finding yourself paired up with a slave to high mile days

2) SD has a very active riding community. Consider joining a local club. It’s a great way of making friends and finding compatible riding buddies.

You’ll love the rally as well as the journey! Hope to see you there

Pete

Thank you all for the pointers and advice. Much appreciated! BTW, I ride a 2019 1600 GTL. Love it!

The K1600 club is a bunch of great guys at our rally, mostly east coast guys, but I’m sure they’ll have the banner out at the rally. Mostly Navy divers like Duane Thornton, but don’t let that scare you off, they are a great bunch and even let a little ole RT rider occasionally join their campfire circle.

Reece, Where will you be working? Would like to look you up at the rally. I'm working registration Friday afternoon.

Ian Feinberg

Reece, Where will you be working? Would like to look you up at the rally. I'm working registration Friday afternoon.

Ian Feinberg

I recently volunteered for the 50/50 raffle, so out and about... but my HQ will be the Sweet Information Booth with Rhonda and the doggies. If I’m not there she can call me. This is how most people find me.

13380A7A-07A2-4DAD-A555-5D80D6CD4FBB.jpeg

With our June 1st departure date coming up, rally prep has started. The rig is all set, Glenlivet’s training rides are progressing well, and the gear we’re taking has been set aside. The tent will be setup and broken down repeatedly so I can manage solo on a dark and stormy night, Glenlivet’s toys and treats are ready to go, and my clothing is being treated with permethrin to repel fleas, ticks and skeeters.

I use permethrin (or the natural equivalent pyrethrum) as it’s colorless, odorless (even to my dog’s sensitive nose), not oily, and doesn’t harm synthetics so can even be applied to the tent entrances. Glenlivet also uses flea and tick meds. I’ve heard reports the ticks are awful this year

View attachment 87763

With our June 1st departure date coming up, rally prep has started. The rig is all set, Glenlivet’s training rides are progressing well, and the gear we’re taking has been set aside. The tent will be setup and broken down repeatedly so I can manage solo on a dark and stormy night, Glenlivet’s toys and treats are ready to go, and my clothing is being treated with permethrin to repel fleas, ticks and skeeters.

I use permethrin (or the natural equivalent pyrethrum) as it’s colorless, odorless (even to my dog’s sensitive nose), not oily, and doesn’t harm synthetics so can even be applied to the tent entrances. Glenlivet also uses flea and tick meds. I’ve heard reports the ticks are awful this year

Our midwest ticks are giving people red meat allergies. That means NO BACON, NO RIBS, NO BACON, NO STEAKS or BURGERS and worst of all NO BACON! It is no joke. Protect yourself. Dogs seem to be immune to that.
What's next?

Glen I hope to see you at this rally. If it is a heat fest I will be commuting from Joplin, but I want to pitch a tent if it gets under cools off at night.

Rod

Our midwest ticks are giving people red meat allergies. That means NO BACON, NO RIBS, NO BACON, NO STEAKS or BURGERS and worst of all NO BACON! It is no joke. Protect yourself. Dogs seem to be immune to that.

Rod

Alpha-gal Syndrome - yet another tick-borne concern for those of us who camp and hike!

Pete

Thank you! Much appreciated

Steve, another Steve here. I'll be riding out on the Saturday before from Long Beach, doing 400-500 miles a day, and going all the way to Chi-Town to get all 42 "Celebrate the Mother Road!" challenge POI's and still getting back to Springfield on Thursday. If interested, it will be a mix of camping and hotels along the way (any hotel will be a Marriott property, as I have a lot of points). I'm on an R1200R wethead. Planning on a minor detour to go through Oatman AZ on day 1 on the way to Seligman for the first night at a KOA.

Riding to Rally

1100 miles to rally for me. Will leave the Friday before. Stay over in Morgantown, WVA and Evansville, Indiana. Check into timeshare in Branson on Sunday afternoon. Will take a little ride across Oklahoma, hitting Tulsa and OKC and spending the night in Amarillo. It’s on to touch New Mexico before looping up to Southern Colorado and across to Dodge City or Wichita before finally heading back to Branson. Hit the Rally on Thursday, and likely a day trip down to the Ozarks. Rest up on Saturday and give myself two days to get home by Monday. A little ambitious, but I haven’t been to that part of the country so I gotta make it count. Last rally was Vermont 16 years ago (life got in the way). Next year’s National will only be about 90 miles from home so getting there won’t be nearly as fun. Excitement is building. Travel safe and see you in Springfield!

RG

Back