• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Testing A Diode Board '91 R100GSPD

leafman60

The Clymer manual outlines a test procedure whereby an off-idle speed voltage is taken from the B+ terminal of the diode board and the D+ terminal of the alternator brush assembly and compared to the off-idle speed voltage from the D+ terminal on the diode board and ground. My understanding is that the D+ terminal on the diode board is on the backside where the three alternator wires attach. How to you access the D+ terminal of the board while the engine is running???

Yes, I thought about that. I guess I could unplug the regulator and test the voltage on the blue wire to ground while running. The Clymer directions are confusing.

I think I'll call my friend Rick Jones (Motorrad Elektrik) and ask him.

Yes, I thought about that. I guess I could unplug the regulator and test the voltage on the blue wire to ground while running. The Clymer directions are confusing.

I think I'll call my friend Rick Jones (Motorrad Elektrik) and ask him.

You should buy Rick's little book on the Airhead charging system.

Out of print

Good luck finding Rick's book new as it is out of print. I have been waiting over a year now for my copy from Rick. I keep waiting because it is a very good book. I haven't looked for a used copy hoping Rick gets enough interest to have more printed. St.

I have a charging problem and I am trying to locate the source.

In the middle of a cold dark night, miles away from anywhere, my charge light popped on and wouldn't go off. I made my way back to civilization and I am now trying to troubleshoot the problem. The charge light comes on when the key is turned on. I think my rotor is ok. While running, the charge light no longer stays brightly on but seems to linger at about half intensity.
I am checking my regulator as well as the diode board for malfunctions or bad connections.

Did you check the brushes? Can they still move freely up and down easily, no hanging up?

/Guenther

Yes, the brushes look okay. I am just going through and trying to test every part of the charging system. The bike has very low miles on it, 6-7k.

To check the diode board it is easy with a multimeter with a diode check function.

Disconnect all wires from the diode board.

Put the leads on either side of a diode and you should get a readout of ~0.5V on one side and 0V on the other side for a good diode.

Without a multimeter use a 12V bulb like one for the brake/turn/tail light. Connect one side to battery minus and the other side to a pin of the diode. The other pin of the diode should be on plus of the battery. Repeat the test by switching the bulb and minus on the pins of the diode. The light should come on in one test and completely off with the other test if the diode is OK.

Test 1: battery+ -> [pin 1] diode [pin2] -> bulb -> battery-
Test 2: battery+ -> [pin 2] diode [pin1] -> bulb -> battery-

/Guenther

To check the diode board it is easy with a multimeter with a diode check function.

Disconnect all wires from the diode board.

Put the leads on either side of a diode and you should get a readout of ~0.5V on one side and 0V on the other side for a good diode.

Without a multimeter use a 12V bulb like one for the brake/turn/tail light. Connect one side to battery minus and the other side to a pin of the diode. The other pin of the diode should be on plus of the battery. Repeat the test by switching the bulb and minus on the pins of the diode. The light should come on in one test and completely off with the other test if the diode is OK.

Test 1: battery+ -> [pin 1] diode [pin2] -> bulb -> battery-
Test 2: battery+ -> [pin 2] diode [pin1] -> bulb -> battery-

/Guenther

I spoke with Rick Jones (Motorrad Elektrik) yesterday and he advised to ignore the Clymer manual and simply do a straight diode test of all diodes on the board. That's easier done with the board on the bench so that's my intention. There's even one or two Youtube videos showing this.

Well, I used my multimeter to test out my Wehrle diode board today and it is bad.

I may spring for an Omega system.

Omega

To be honest, if you don't ride with a ton of electrical clothing, heated hand grips, gloves, and lights, you may not need the Omega system. The stock charging system works fine for what it is. Rick sells replacement diode boards and they would be cheaper and better than the BMW unit.

I ran my stock charging systems for 200K miles and 130K miles on my two airheads changing up to the higher output systems when I started using electric heated clothing.

Thanks for letting us know how your problem turned out, it is nice to have some take the time to report the findings of their work, so few do. Cheers, St.

To be honest, if you don't ride with a ton of electrical clothing, heated hand grips, gloves, and lights, you may not need the Omega system. The stock charging system works fine for what it is. Rick sells replacement diode boards and they would be cheaper and better than the BMW unit.

I ran my stock charging systems for 200K miles and 130K miles on my two airheads changing up to the higher output systems when I started using electric heated clothing.

Thanks for letting us know how your problem turned out, it is nice to have some take the time to report the findings of their work, so few do. Cheers, St.

Yeah, I haven't decided for sure yet. I do like to ride on dirt and that happens often in cooler weather. Having some electric gear in those situations can be nice. However, the lower speeds typical of such riding cause the alternator to produce less power to support the electric gear. Of course the lower speeds mean less cold wind exposure too.

I may just replace the diode board and eventually sell the bike since I have too many anyway. It's a cherry example that's just now turned 8k miles.

Selling

Makes sense if you are thinking about selling it to just replace the diode board. You won't get the money back for installing the higher price charging system. Personally I would only install the higher output system if I were going to ride for awhile and put it to use. St.

Back