• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Currently in the Marketplace- 2004 1150 RT's for sale

nickrides

Nick Kennedy
In the Marketplace there are a couple of 2004 1150 RT's for sale.
One looks super nice, blue, with 58K on the clock for 3K.
At this stage of the transmission spline problem, would anyone hazard a guess on the reliability of these 18 yr old bikes?
Looks like a lot of bike and good looking for 3 grand.
But I don't need a major expense in my future, ya know?!
Nick
1990 K75RT

At this stage of the transmission spline problem, would anyone hazard a guess on the reliability of these 18 yr old bikes?

I put 189,000 miles on the original transmission splines on my R1150R and they were still fine. They were cleaned and lubricated a few times which is a royal pain but so is replacing transmission input shafts.

I bought my 04 RT in 08 and now have 70k on the odometer. I put new Ohlins shocks on it a couple of years ago when the rear BMW shock wore out. I replaced front and rear at the same time. Last year I had new steel brake lines put on it too. I learned how to adjust the valves and throttle bodies, brake fluid and oil changes right after I bought it so it so it saves a lot of money doing my own work. The servo assisted brakes are more work than I like to do but I only replace the brake fluid every other year so that isn't very often. I haven't had any big problems with my bike so I'm keeping it as my winter bike here in north Texas. Last year I bought a 13 GS for warm weather riding the rest of the year. Hope this helps you decide. You might do a compression and leak down check. The only big problem I had was a burned exhaust valve. It was probably already going bad when I bought the bike but I didn't recognize the signs. Had to have a new valve and valve seats installed. That's probably a one in a million problem.

Bought mine new and now has 110k. I just pulled the tranny for the 2nd time (1st spline lube in 2010 and zero issues).

The spline at this mileage has very minimal wear so I replaced the clutch disc and spring (my oem clutch was still performing perfect) and re-applied new grease.

Oh, I DID go for the newer extended spline on the friction disc. I've got 350 miles since it was all apart and it still shifts and performs like a new bike.

For the money, if you get a well cared for 1150RT, you've got an incredible bike.

At that age, it isn't splines (only), it's the iABS unit you worry about.. and the brake lines... and the brake fluid.

Back