• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New to this Forum

JohnTC

or JDog
Hello! I am new to this forum, and am looking forward to having some fun reading, asking questions, getting advice, and maybe even giving some.
I currently live in Redlands (nice town), CA, with the love of my life, a 2004 1150RT, black. (Alright, my lady is the love of my life, but she lives in L.A. till we can work out where we want to reside together.) I have a similar story to many---rode till my kids made it impractical, then when old enough for me to go for it again. My first one was a '78 Yamaha XS650. Then a new '82 750 Seca, which I rode into the ground, well over 100k. About 5 years ago, found a used 2001 Concours, and bought it while my then-wife was out of town. Luckily, she liked bikes also, and tolerated this move. Rode that till it broke when it fell down with me on it, and ye olde insurance company totaled the Connie. As I resolved to get a bike with ABS, my choices were a Honda ST1200 or an RT. While I was trying to decide, with the ST1200 in the lead due less expense, I received several signs from above----I saw RTs wherever I went, including two stopping at a vista north of Santa Barbara, one after the other, when I was the only one there. July 2007, I went by Malcolm Smith's in Riverside, and wouldn't you know, there was a beautiful 2004 1150. I talked the wife (barely) into not opposing my purchase, and made a good deal.
She had 21,000 miles on the clock 2 1/2 years ago, now I'm at 91,000. (I would like to have the bike paid off by 100,000, we'll see). She is my transport 99% of the time. And I still have joy whenever I go to unhitch her. After my divorce, I found a lady who loves to ride behind me. I guess you can tell when it's serious when I bought her leather riding gear!
I belong to the South Coast BMW Riders Club, and have done several overnighters, but prefer to ride singly or with a buddy.
And, my 18 year old son hasn't glommed onto BMWs, yet, but he is way ahead of me in terms of starting out (I didn't ride till I was 30). He has four bikes now, including an XS650 and a Honda CBR 1000. And he does most of his own work, even building a bike from the ground up. We've done several rides together, but he's not into long-distance riding at this point. But it's cool sharing that passion.

Anyway, I also do most of my own wrenching, tho I'm not that knowledgable in the area, but love to learn. I do have questions on occasion, and have gotten great tips from the Sport Touring forum. So, if you all don't mind, I'll be posting in the very near future. Oh, and I've been an MOA member for almost two years---I guess it's about time I came here, huh?

John C.

Welcome, glad to have you here.

Sounds like you like to ride! :clap

How about a pic of your bike?

Ride Well
Ride Often
Ride to Eat

About time :groovy

Welcome. Pull up a chair and enjoy the chatter. This is definitely one of my favorite places!

Voni
sMiling

Thanks. I believe I have a photo after spending some time uploading it here! Hopefully it will get easier!

That is Big Bear Lake when at the Rally back in August 2009.

John C.

Attachments

• JDog & Bike.jpg
    JDog & Bike.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 45
Hi John! I went over to your profile to check for pics. Nice avatar! Didn't see the one you posted here at the bottom of the page. Anyway, glad to have you. And, you sure have rolled up some mileage on that RT!
JD

Back