• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzler vs Michelin (please redirect?), R1150 R

Cam,

My R 1100 RS takes a rear size 160/60-18, but I don’t see the AVON spirit st with that size listed.

Is that the rear tire size on your R1100R?

If so, where did you find that size.

I am Interested, as I need to find an alternate for the Michelin Pilot Roads, that are NLA in the 160/60-18 size.

Thanks.

Yes, Avon Spirit ST's are available in 18" for the rear tire.

front: 120/70/17
rear: 110/80/18

Cam,
Thanks for posting, but my R1100RS Take a 160/60-18 rear tire.

I did find that size in the Avon Storm. Any thoughts on using the 120/70-17 Avon Sprint on the front, with the 160/60-18 Avon Storm on the rear?

Yes, Avon Spirit ST's are available in 18" for the rear tire.

front: 120/70/17
rear: 110/80/18

I have been doing Michelin PR3 and 4 on my RT.
Long life and good rain performance.
Thought I would try the Dunlop Roadsmart III this time.
They also perform well, only have about 6k miles on them.
The nice thing about tires is if you don't like them they wear out and you can try something else.

I just put Metzler Roadtec on my 04 RS replacing 2 Michelin Pilots. Here is what I discovered

1) Brand new tires are 100% better than worn out tires
2) Apparently I had not been keeping them inflated properly which diminished their life

I choose Metzler because they supported the MOA at the rally in Lebanon and gave away a neat tank bag.

I think you can't go wrong with either.

Tire comparison

1997 RT had PR3 on rear and PR4 on front. Handling excellent. I put 10K miles on the rear but don't know how much was on it when i bought the bike. Front I replaced at 7K of my use.

Front I put a Bridgestone Battlax T31 - Not as sharp as the PR4, but not slippery either. Just smoother transitions from upright to leaned over. Very predictable. Looking for better tire mileage without sacrificing wet or dry traction.

Rear I put a Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact (18" wheel on mine, but they do make one for your bike too.) Only have a few hundred miles on it. This is another Rear Radial dual compound tire. Feel is excellent Too cold to hot rod and really, I don't do that anymore. Note that the PR3 rear is also a dual compound tire.

Can't tell much difference in ride quality, but I'm coming from having ridden Honda Pacific coasts for more than 25 years. The PC800 has a better ride quality and is way smoother engine. It doesn't handle as well as the RT. But the weight is also located low as the tank is under the saddle.

What did help ride quality on my RT was backing off the rear shock's rebound damper. If your's is stock, there is an adjuster. I put mine at the halfway point and backed the pre-load off some.

This isn't as much help as I would like to give, but it's all I have for now.

Rear I put a Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact..... This is another Rear Radial dual compound tire.

From what I researched, the Metzeler Z8 Interact is not a dual rubber compound tire. Put simply, they wind the carcass belts with more space between the strands towards the edges of the tire to allow the tread to flex more and with less space towards the middle of the tire to reduce flex. This, according to them, allows the tire to grip in corners while still giving decent mileage.

"With the Z8 Interact, Metzeler technicians met those disparate needs not by adopting multi-compound tread but by differentiating the tension of the belts in the carcass to exploit the specific characteristics of the rubber compounds. The belts have a higher tension around the main circumference of the tire to keep the area less prone to flex. This means less heat build up, and reduced wear when traveling straight on the highway. Reduced tension in the shoulders is designed to induce higher temperatures, for better grip quality when the bike is leaning over."

I'm interested to hear more of your evaluation as the weather warms up. :thumb

Last edited:
Metzler M5?

Recently found Metzler M5s in a combo deal from moss trading in MO. A package of front 120/70r17 and rear 170/60r17 for <$179. They appear to be made in China?! They seem to be targeted to the sport bike crowd, but the ad copy talks about commuting too. Has anybody tried these?

Back