• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handlebar End Plugs

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
Handlebar End Weights

I would like to install handlebar end plugs/weights for a couple of reasons: to anchor the, "Knuckle Warmers" (kinda like hippo hands) I like to mount in wintertime, and to possibly reduce grip vibration (spoiled by my Goldwing).

Has anyone installed handlebar plugs? If so, which do you recommend?

Thanks,
Joe H

Last edited:
I haven't used bar end weights on my airhead, but I did make custom bar end mounts for a set of Napoleon bar end mirrors. And learned a couple of things. The original rubber plugs for the Napoleons would not fit into the BMW bars. I learned that a) BMW bars are a bit smaller in diameter than standard b) on my bars at least, the tubing was cut with a knife like device that rolled a bit of a lip on the inside of the bars. You should check for and remove the lip and then get an actual ID measurement for your bars. Hopefully some bar-end vendors can tell you if their products will fit.

If you or someone you know owns a metal working lathe, it's likely that nearly all bar ends could be thinned slightly to fit.

I haven't used bar end weights on my airhead, but I did make custom bar end mounts for a set of Napoleon bar end mirrors. And learned a couple of things
: a) BMW airhead bars are a bit smaller in diameter than standard b) on my bars at least, the tubing was cut with a knife like device that rolled a bit of a lip on the inside of the bars. You should check for and remove the lip and then get an actual ID measurement for your bars. Hopefully some bar-end vendors can tell you if their products will fit.

If you or someone you know owns a metal working lathe, it's likely that nearly all bar ends could be thinned slightly to fit.

Back