• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

71 R60/5 replace rear drive splines

At the last tire change the small independent shop who has done my repairs for years pointed out that the splines in the rear drive are getting close to needing being replaced.
The shop can do this, their rates are reasonable and their work has always been excellent. So that's not an issue. My question is this something I could do myself? I do minor repairs, valve adjustments, fluid changes and have the usual assortment of sockets, torque wrenches found in a garage.
I would appreciate receiving a general idea of what is involved in replacing the rear drive splines. Special tools needed? Any other advice or suggestions on doing this work. Potential problems that may in this repair.

Thank you,
Adirondack Bob

Bob -

If you haven't ready, check out Snowbum's site:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/rearwhlsplines.htm

I've never come close to considering this, but to me, the job is a 4 wrench out of 5 job. The drive has to be pulled off the shaft...I think there's a large torqued nut there. Heat is required to get things apart. Some shimming will be necessary to ensure proper operation.

Repair of replacement of the splines is a tedious and highly technical job. The drive must be disassembled then sent to a custom machine shop that specializes in this repair The most famous being Hansons ( they suffered a total loss in a fie). They reweld the spline material then machine if to specs then the unit has to be reassembled and properly shimmed. The wheel spline cup should also be replaced. Rivets need drilled or machined out the the cup is re riveted or bolted in place.

Thats how easy it is! Perhaps I misunderstood your question.

Repair of replacement of the splines is a tedious and highly technical job. The drive must be disassembled then sent to a custom machine shop that specializes in this repair The most famous being Hansons ( they suffered a total loss in a fie). They reweld the spline material then machine if to specs then the unit has to be reassembled and properly shimmed. The wheel spline cup should also be replaced. Rivets need drilled or machined out the the cup is re riveted or bolted in place.

Thats how easy it is! Perhaps I misunderstood your question.

+1. Now that Hansons has been burned to the ground, I don't know who an alternative would be.

Spline Replacement- More than I can do

Thanks for the information. The job is beyond me and I'll let the shop do the work.

Adirondack Bob

+1. Now that Hansons has been burned to the ground, I don't know who an alternative would be.

Hansen's is back in business in a very limited way, but it might be worth it to contact them so see if they can say when they could do this work. I've had them rebuild the drive shaft splines on a K75 of mine and the work was magnificent.

Back