• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing better speakers

rickyracer

OK Im going to try this again.. My bike is a 2013 R1200RT- I need how to remove the directional cover plastic without destroying it. Im planning on removing the fairing mirrors an try to put 5x7 speakers in the speaker and mirror area. All the help I can get would be appreciated

I've never done it myself, but according to the workshop manual you need to:

1. Remove the left-hand and right-hand trim panels (those are detailed in the Hexhead Tech Library)
2. Remove mirror assembly (just pull back swiftly)
3. Remove windscreen (remove the trim cover and the screws with washers underneath)
4. Remove the inner trim around the speedometer/speaker covers (there are three screws that are now visible with the mirror removed)
**you may only need to go this far?**
5. Release the holder for the windscreen (remove the "clips" for the windscreen arms and press out the pin) (the arms are then folded towards the seat, held with a strap out of the way)
6. Remove the entire top section of the fairing (remove both turn signal bulbs, remove the large screws and rubber washers on both sides near where the mirrors were)
7. Finally, you can remove the turn signal holder/reflector

Hope that helps! Like I noted, you could probably get away with steps 1-4, as that will really open up that space for your new speakers

Last edited:
I've never done it myself, but according to the workshop manual you need to:

1. Remove the left-hand and right-hand trim panels (those are detailed in the Hexhead Tech Library)
2. Remove mirror (just pull back swiftly)
3. Remove windscreen (remove the trim cover and the screws with washers underneath)
4. Remove the inner trim around the speedometer/speaker covers (there are three screws that are now visible with the mirror removed)
**you may only need to go this far?**
5. Release the holder for the windscreen (remove the "clips" for the windscreen arms and press out the pin) (the arms are then folded towards the seat, held with a strap out of the way)
6. Remove the entire top section of the fairing (remove both turn signal bulbs, remove the large screws and rubber washers on both sides near where the mirrors were)
7. Finally, you can remove the turn signal holder/reflector

Hope that helps! Like I noted, you could probably get away with steps 1-4, as that will really open up that space for your new speakers

For step 2 on a 2013 R1200RT, there is a set screw that must be loosened with a T25 from underneath the mirror (there is a small hole for this and you have to push the corner of the mirror to line up the hole with the screw). Don't just pop it out or you can damage the back of the mirror.

To get to the speakers you'll need to remove the cluster shroud as well. I've never had to remove the windscreen though.

I've looked at it before and there isn't really a way to fit anything large than the stock speakers as the boxes are a fixed size and molded to fit into the dash.

If you wanted 5x7s, you'd probably have to hang them from below the mirrors and point them up at you.

For step 2 on a 2013 R1200RT, there is a set screw that must be loosened with a T25 from underneath the mirror (there is a small hole for this and you have to push the corner of the mirror to line up the hole with the screw). Don't just pop it out or you can damage the back of the mirror.

Thanks - I went back and looked at the manual and there is indeed a note that I didn't see! My advice is indeed worth what you pay for it :brad

Back