• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 R1250RT H7 Low beam bulb change

A question for all: When I bought bulbs a couple of years ago, they gave me some dielectric grease to put on the contact points (electrodes?) where the bulb and the power socket come together. I continue to use it, but don't know if it has any effect at all. I still am replacing the H7 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb about every 12 months. Perhaps the grease does nothing?

The grease will do a few things, some that don't matter with the application...

• Prevents shorts due to water intrusion (not of use).
  • Prevents the contacts from "welding" the connector together.
  • Prevents "stiction" in the connector making the bulb easier to remove.
  • Possibly assists in heat dispersion.

Those are very helpful in visualizing the elements. I usually unbolt the horn to get it out of the way before starting. I also like the idea of alcohol cleaning of the bulb glass. I use Nytrile gloves during the process to make sure no oil goes on the lens.

A question for all: When I bought bulbs a couple of years ago, they gave me some dielectric grease to put on the contact points (electrodes?) where the bulb and the power socket come together. I continue to use it, but don't know if it has any effect at all. I still am replacing the H7 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb about every 12 months. Perhaps the grease does nothing?

The grease prevents oxydation of the contacts and burned connector due to arcing. Sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs have about a year of life expectancy (850 hours) depending on the number of hours and days you ride.

The grease prevents oxydation of the contacts and burned connector due to arcing. Sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs have about a year of life expectancy (850 hours) depending on the number of hours and days you ride.

That last bit of info was very good, thanks for that.:bikes:D

Patm, you may need to recheck the spec's on the card of your Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs. I think the stated life is closer to 125 hours, not 850! I just checked Sylvania's website.

Well, at 20,983 miles I'm about to embark on this adventure. I had to look up the meaning of the front-light-out icon that lit up when I started the bike, and have just checked out all the Forum and YouTube info I can find. I do always let all the computer lights settle down before pushing the starter button, I don't remember if someone told me to or it may just be my suspicion of electronic doo-dads. My usual riding gloves are XXXL, so I anticipate a tedious and somewhat painful process, but thanks to all who've posted links, pictures etc. Please keep children out of earshot. Wish me luck.

I had mine burn out at 16,594 miles. Agree PIA to replace, mine was worse as someone had bent the tang on the right side so it would not open. Like others I took a cell phone photo to see what was wrong. I bought a kit, somewhere that replaces all the bulbs with LED and a relay to make it fool the Cambus. Wish I could remember, still a year later haven't installed it as you need to remove the fairing to get to the right side bulb. Oh and it's a 2018 RT

Well, at 20,983 miles I'm about to embark on this adventure. I had to look up the meaning of the front-light-out icon that lit up when I started the bike, and have just checked out all the Forum and YouTube info I can find. I do always let all the computer lights settle down before pushing the starter button, I don't remember if someone told me to or it may just be my suspicion of electronic doo-dads. My usual riding gloves are XXXL, so I anticipate a tedious and somewhat painful process, but thanks to all who've posted links, pictures etc. Please keep children out of earshot. Wish me luck.

You got a lot of sMiles out of the OEM bulb! If it was me and I was close to a dealership I'd let them change it. I hated changing the low beam so much I removed the entire front end to remove the headlight assembly and installed an LED. Never had to mess with it again.

You got a lot of sMiles out of the OEM bulb! If it was me and I was close to a dealership I'd let them change it. I hated changing the low beam so much I removed the entire front end to remove the headlight assembly and installed an LED. Never had to mess with it again.

Yeah, I briefly considered taking it to the dealership, but it's in no way close. Heck, I'm not even "close" to a Walmart, much less a dealership. Although I can make it to Walmart in 35 minutes or so, maybe I am close. 3 1/2 hours to the nearest dealership in any direction.

So 10 minutes into the job I was absolutely convinced of 2 things. Whoever said this can be done in 10 minutes has tiny hands, and my blood thinners are decidedly working. After a couple hours at it, much of the time being spent standing and stretching and refocusing, I'd met with success. The air in the shop was obscene language blue, but it's all back together and working.
:groovy

Last week a friend with a 2020 R1250RT spent the night with us at the end of his 36 day trip.
We changed his low beam bulb while he was here.
He had changed the bulb at the beginning of the trip so it only lasted 35 days.

He did it from the front looking into the headlight while I looked from the back of the fairing with a flashlight to help give directions for the little tab and the wire clip.
I'm guessing it took at least 20 minutes.

Tim Butse June 2022 (5).jpg

R1200Rt R1250RT Headlamp replace tip

I have had to do this a few times on my two RT's. For me it has been helpful to put a GoPro on a selfie stick and prop it in place, add a drop light shining in from above, and looking at the GoPro app on my phone I can see what I am doing. Has made the procedure more tolerable.

My next solution to this frequent chore, is to make a ventilated access cap to this bulb area, allowing some air flow around the bulb and thus extending the bulb life.

My next solution to this frequent chore, is to make a ventilated access cap to this bulb area, allowing some air flow around the bulb and thus extending the bulb life.

Buy LED bulbs. With a life span of 30-50,000 hours its a problem solved.

Buy LED bulbs. With a life span of 30-50,000 hours its a problem solved.

I have to say; the LED lighting on the front of Anja is my favorite RT upgrade. The 2022 models definitely reflect an engineering solution that reflects a design approach that is customer feedback centric. I do not miss changing out that dim bulb.

I have to say; the LED lighting on the front of Anja is my favorite RT upgrade. The 2022 models definitely reflect an engineering solution that reflects a design approach that is customer feedback centric. I do not miss changing out that dim bulb.

Which one did you get?
I'm still trying to find one that won't throw an error message.

Which one did you get?

The ones with the small fans seem to work for me. There are many on Amazon. I'm using H7s from a company called Aolead. I think the fan draws a little extra power which avoids the dreaded yellow triangle.

The ones with the small fans seem to work for me. There are many on Amazon. I'm using H7s from a company called Aolead. I think the fan draws a little extra power which avoids the dreaded yellow triangle.

Thanks

Which one did you get?

I’m referring to the OEM led lighting that came with the bike. No error code necessary. The ‘22 was a complete redesign of the front fairing.

Back