• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Clutch - Break in?

drneo66

My new clutch is in and the bike is back together! I only have like 4 bolts left over, but I'm sure I don't really need those anyway. :whistle

After a little Google-ing, I didn't really see any consensus on a process to break in a new BMW R1200RT dry clutch? A couple car clutch manufactures recommended more stop and go traffic for the first 500 miles (gee, that seems fun).

Last edited:
Which bike? I'm not sure it matters but the F800 wet clutch and R1200 dry clutch behave differently.

Which bike? I'm not sure it matters but the F800 wet clutch and R1200 dry clutch behave differently.

My 2007 R1200RT

I found lots of stuff about wet clutches (oil bath before install blah blah blah) but not much about the BMW dry clutch...

OK. New clutch. What parts? Disk, pressure plate, clutch housing, spring? Or what. This can have a big difference on how the clutch behaves.

Back