• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Belt Drive?

J

jerryb

Arial7Black

I remember a picture of OA editor Sandy Cohen on a belt drive F650 with a cracked out and collapsed rear sprocket. I also remember a (belt drive) rear sprocket recall on the 2000 Buell Blast because they were cracking out around the mount bolts.

I see that according to wantfacts.com that the 2006 VLX 600 Honda has gone from shaft drive, since? To not belt but chain drive.

I also see that (according to wantfacts.com) the only belt drives in the complete 2006 Honda line are in the CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission) Scooter line. Any (informed) opinions on belt drives?

I think it's interesting that Buell is using belt drive on its Ulysses. The Ulysses is sort of a dual sport bike, or at least designed to be able to handle dirt roads. It's not necessarily a bike I would try through deep mud or one tracks, but where I ride it's a blast (no pun intended) on the dirt backroads. It will be interesting to see how well the belt holds up to this kind of (ab)use.

jerryb said:
Arial7Black

I remember a picture of OA editor Sandy Cohen on a belt drive F650 with a cracked out and collapsed rear sprocket. I also remember a (belt drive) rear sprocket recall on the 2000 Buell Blast because they were cracking out around the mount bolts.

I see that according to wantfacts.com that the 2006 VLX 600 Honda has gone from shaft drive, since? To not belt but chain drive.

I also see that (according to wantfacts.com) the only belt drives in the complete 2006 Honda line are in the CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission) Scooter line. Any (informed) opinions on belt drives?

A belt drive has proven to be a highly reliable and low maintainance drive system in the right application. The problems cited with cracked sprockets mean nothing more than someone didn't make the sprocket correctly. For street use, a belt can last 50~60,000 miles of street use. Other than Buell with their new Ulysses, everyone else has avoided belts for off-road use.

jdiaz said:
Can't we at least collect 25 cents each time we send another person to f650.com? :laugh

:D

I just don't want to wander over to yet another board when the question was asked here.

It's a joke, son.

flash412 said:
I have never owned a belt drive motorcycle. Unlike some folks, when I do not feel qualified to voice an opinion, I don't.

Whoa! Is this a late New Year's resolution? (NOTE: that's a joke, flash. :stick)

It would be wrong for the MOA to reap a profit for pointing to what the Chain Gang prides itself on giving away for free. (I guess it is all about ideology.)

That suggestion was a joke, too. :doh

Own a 650 CS

Own a Black Belt - the F650 CS. It is the only BMW Black Belt in the US until the 800s arrive.

Belt is great. Clean it with a blast of compressed air. No splines, no chains to clean and lube. :clap

Bike runs very smooth, ABS, heated grips. :dance

Only drawback is stock windshield which allows a "refreshing" blast of air. I added a cee bailey windscreen. Problem solved.

Great bikes but did not attract a following in US. And, for BMW the profit margin was not as large as the 1200 cc bikes. The black belts are great to ride. Give one a demo.

Last edited:
jerryb said:
Arial7Black

Well some people might question if my opinion is informed or not but here goes. My F650CS now has 24K mile on it. The belt has been totally maintenance free. At 4K miles I got a rock inbetween the belt and pulley. It put a pimple in the center of the belt. I can see no difference in appearance of the belt in the last 20K miles at the pimple area.

The best part is that I have still not had to lube the belt, or clean lube off of the rear wheel. The belt has been a complete non issue for me. I also ride a K bike and I don't miss having to lube splines either.

Thanks for belt drive info.

Arial7Black

Thanks for the belt drive info. I'm convinced. Now my daughter needs to find an F650CS.
You certainly have to take a hard look at Harley and how they've embraced belt drive. I owned an '81 Electra Glide and following the "Worn more than the length of one chain pitch" rule I would get about 8,000 miles out of the best O-ring chain and front sprocket. I figured it had to be the Galumping Harley power pulse snatching at the chain, especially upon shifting. Considering that the new HD engines aren't much different in that respect this looks like a case where the belt works better than a chain.

jerryb
1990 GSPD (And Bushtec) Anyone else have broken spokes (spacer solution)problem with Bushtec?

Back