• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Aluminum Panniers - lock cylinder keeps falling out

Sandarm

Sandarm
So I'm getting frustrated because I'm now on my third lock cylinder for my left pannier. The cylinders spin in their "sockets" more than I'd expect, and the one on the front side of the left pannier spins to the point that the lock plate pops out. When the lock barrel is inserted the key slot is vertical... to unlock the mechanism the key must turn clockwise, and should stop at 1/4 turn. The problem is that there's just enough wiggle room to get a bit past that 1/4 turn, and then the lock plate and spring disengage and the whole shootin' match falls apart... and it happens when I'm on the road, so the part is lost, plus it becomes a hazard for those behind me... and I'm now on my third cylinder. :1drink:1drink:1drinkHas anyone had to fix this, and how did you do it? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance, Sandy

Last edited:
No Answers?

Hmmm... looks like I'm alone here with this problem based on the view to reply ratio. Here's what I'm doing for now - I'm just making sure that when I ride the pannier is in the unlocked position - that way the lock plate is facing upwards and engaged. When I stop I can either leave the case unlocked, or I am very careful not to turn the key past the 3 O'clock position, which is where the cylinder falls out. The next step will be to replace the black plastic latch. Next time I'm near the dealership I'll pop in to price the part and decide from there.

Hmmm... looks like I'm alone here with this problem based on the view to reply ratio. Here's what I'm doing for now - I'm just making sure that when I ride the pannier is in the unlocked position - that way the lock plate is facing upwards and engaged. When I stop I can either leave the case unlocked, or I am very careful not to turn the key past the 3 O'clock position, which is where the cylinder falls out. The next step will be to replace the black plastic latch. Next time I'm near the dealership I'll pop in to price the part and decide from there.

I have issues with my locks as well. When I clamp down the lock I can’t get the key out as it is so tight. It seems like there is to much pressure on the key. When the pannnier is not on the bike it locks easy and the key pulls right out. I have checked that I have the box on correctly and I do . Only happens on one side. Other side is ok

Back