• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another multi fatality accident

Motodan, thanks for the update. Throw the book at him then, based on the public information available. It would have been nice though, in the original comment if something like “according to Express News, a San Antonios news source, an illegal alien, Ivan Robles Navejas ....and so on. That would have allowed any reader interested enough to follow a link. For myself, unless I have a some real investment in a news article, just read the headline and first couple of sentences in a article and move on. I’ve been involved many times crossing through Sturgis during the motorcycle August motorcycle rally to see first hand the herd mentality of groups of riders displaying very bad choices when riding as a group so not surprised at the carnage once an event starts. And the name of the group suggests LEO experience, so I would have expected much more intelligence on their part when riding as a group where this type of damage has been well documented around the country. My guess is this individual will suffer the consequences, but those other folk will be judged with having some responsibility in the accident also, in a court of law. Drunk driving, whether by an illegal alien or a law abiding citizen is not exactly an unknown phenomenon, especially in Texas, so social norms in the region also come into play. So not a cut and dry Assignment of guilt IMO.

It begins:

" A motorcyclist died Wednesday after crashing into a pickup on Iron Mountain Road in the southern Black Hills.

I have been to the rally a couple times, more to people watch that to ride. If I want to go ride the Black Hills I go first part of September after all the rookies have left.

We will go ride the hills during the rally, but we get early and are on the rode by sunrise. We are done riding by noon and hit Sturgis and people watch.

We followed a couple on a Harley bagger headed up Vanocker. It was pain full to watch, he couldn't keep in it the lane and was riding slower than the posted speed limit. We suspected he was drunk. He came around a blind corner and was fully in the opposite lane. Luckily there was nobody coming. I am surprised he wife/girlfriend on back didn't have a care in the world, she was just checking out the scenery oblivious to it all.

I have been to the rally a couple times, more to people watch that to ride. If I want to go ride the Black Hills I go first part of September after all the rookies have left.

We will go ride the hills during the rally, but we get early and are on the rode by sunrise. We are done riding by noon and hit Sturgis and people watch.

We followed a couple on a Harley bagger headed up Vanocker. It was pain full to watch, he couldn't keep in it the lane and was riding slower than the posted speed limit. We suspected he was drunk. He came around a blind corner and was fully in the opposite lane. Luckily there was nobody coming. I am surprised he wife/girlfriend on back didn't have a care in the world, she was just checking out the scenery oblivious to it all.

Not Sturgis, but I drove across Pennsylvania today, which apparently does not have a helmet law.

It was a very nice summer day, central-west-PA. Beautiful country and nice state highways through the Alleghenies. Loads of motorcyclists out and about riding - - easily saw several hundred.

At least 90% were in shorts and t-shirts/tanktops at highway speeds. About half had no helmet, many riding double. Saw lots of flip flops too. Pretty much all cruiser style bikes. I saw two BMWs, both GS (one a 310.)

It was very eye opening. Holy cow there is a whole ‘nother side to this past-time.

I miss going to Sturgis and camping with the BMW crowd at Red Arrow and later Whispering Pines.
I miss going to Daytona too, staying at Bulow KOA with 800 BMW riders and 6,000 Harley folk.

We had a great time riding and socializing with friends. We didn’t go to any bars and we didn’t buy any t-shirts. But, that was years ago.

About 4 years ago I went to Whispering Pines during Sturgis but the new owner knew nothing about any BMW gatherings there. We went to Daytona about 5 years ago and camped at Bunnel and maybe 15 BMW riders were camping there.

I don’t know what happened, maybe we just all got old. It was fun while it lasted though.

I miss going to Sturgis and camping with the BMW crowd at Red Arrow and later Whispering Pines.
I miss going to Daytona too, staying at Bulow KOA with 800 BMW riders and 6,000 Harley folk.

We had a great time riding and socializing with friends. We didn’t go to any bars and we didn’t buy any t-shirts. But, that was years ago.

About 4 years ago I went to Whispering Pines during Sturgis but the new owner knew nothing about any BMW gatherings there. We went to Daytona about 5 years ago and camped at Bunnel and maybe 15 BMW riders were camping there.

I don’t know what happened, maybe we just all got old. It was fun while it lasted though.

Voni and I have camped at both Whispering Pines and Bulow but it seems half a lifetime ago.

Not Sturgis, but I drove across Pennsylvania today, which apparently does not have a helmet law.

It was a very nice summer day, central-west-PA. Beautiful country and nice state highways through the Alleghenies. Loads of motorcyclists out and about riding - - easily saw several hundred.

At least 90% were in shorts and t-shirts/tanktops at highway speeds. About half had no helmet, many riding double. Saw lots of flip flops too. Pretty much all cruiser style bikes. I saw two BMWs, both GS (one a 310.)

It was very eye opening. Holy cow there is a whole ‘nother side to this past-time.

Vark,

Where are you from? Considering the slight break in hot weather, I did loop from central PA to Olean, NY and back via Corning, NY. On my ride, I was surprised by the lack of traffic, both four and two wheeled. However, by 3P, was 95F on the pavement in Williamsport, which is fairly warm.

Now, for the MC traffic I did see, the cruiser crowd was in full denial mode. Perhaps, 1 in 5 was wearing a helmet. "Wife beater" Tee's and dew rags were the uniform of the day. But, in a no helmet law (those 18yrs and older) state, what would you expect? Proudly protecting the "Right of Stupidity" is something we choose to do in the early '00s, probably to make the York, PA assembly plant more attractive to HD. You see, with every round of union contract negotiations, HD played the game of shopping for the best incentive deal to play production sites against one another. Eliminating the helmet law allowed PA to say......make the York, PA production site and museum a destination for all the HD crowd.

Vark,

Where are you from? Considering the slight break in hot weather, I did loop from central PA to Olean, NY and back via Corning, NY. On my ride, I was surprised by the lack of traffic, both four and two wheeled. However, by 3P, was 95F on the pavement in Williamsport, which is fairly warm.

Now, for the MC traffic I did see, the cruiser crowd was in full denial mode. Perhaps, 1 in 5 was wearing a helmet. "Wife beater" Tee's and dew rags were the uniform of the day. But, in a no helmet law (those 18yrs and older) state, what would you expect? Proudly protecting the "Right of Stupidity" is something we choose to do in the early '00s, probably to make the York, PA assembly plant more attractive to HD. You see, with every round of union contract negotiations, HD played the game of shopping for the best incentive deal to play production sites against one another. Eliminating the helmet law allowed PA to say......make the York, PA production site and museum a destination for all the HD crowd.

Were you out riding yesterday? I am down in VA but I drove through that exact area you were in on my way to and from NY. On the way up I was towing an empty motorcycle trailer. On the way back the trailer had a “passenger.” :thumb

Were you out riding yesterday? I am down in VA but I drove through that exact area you were in on my way to and from NY. On the way up I was towing an empty motorcycle trailer. On the way back the trailer had a “passenger.” :thumb

You went I-99, I-80/I-180 to US15?

I live, maybe, 5-miles west of the I-99/I-80 intersection. I went PA144 north to PA879 and headed to the Quehanna Nature area. Took the Wykoff Run road to PA872 north at Sinnamahoning. Took PA872 to PA44N at Coudersport and followed that to Olean, NY. Turned on to I-86E, just west of the St. Bonaventure campus.

You went I-99, I-80/I-180 to US15?

I live, maybe, 5-miles west of the I-99/I-80 intersection. I went PA144 north to PA879 and headed to the Quehanna Nature area. Took the Wykoff Run road to PA872 north at Sinnamahoning. Took PA872 to PA44N at Coudersport and followed that to Olean, NY. Turned on to I-86E, just west of the St. Bonaventure campus.

I drove across central PA, beginning down near Gettysburg on 15 and heading generally north toward a connection with I-390 in New York, then came back southbound. Not sure of all the route numbers, but it was a very pretty drive through the Alleghenies. If I hadn’t been on a “mission”, it would have been nice to pull off and explore.

I drove across central PA, beginning down near Gettysburg on 15 and heading generally north toward a connection with I-390 in New York, then came back southbound. Not sure of all the route numbers, but it was a very pretty drive through the Alleghenies. If I hadn’t been on a “mission”, it would have been nice to pull off and explore.

Ya but..... You never got to the allegheny's on that route. The "Alleghenys" typically refer to a range of the mountains within the Appalachins. The northern end of that range is typically located between Johnstown and Altoona, PA. You traversed the Allegheny Plateau then entered the Finger Lakes which were the lower border of the last Ice Sheet. If you're ever back in the area of I-390, check-out Letchworth State Park...it's a gem.

I'm pretty sure you passed the Little League Museaum in Williamsport (On US-15), the Corning Glass Museum (on US15) and passed within 15-miles of the Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY, when you drove west to I-390.

Ya but..... You never got to the allegheny's on that route. The "Alleghenys" typically refer to a range of the mountains within the Appalachins. The northern end of that range is typically located between Johnstown and Altoona, PA. You traversed the Allegheny Plateau then entered the Finger Lakes which were the lower border of the last Ice Sheet. If you're ever back in the area of I-390, check-out Letchworth State Park...it's a gem.

I'm pretty sure you passed the Little League Museaum in Williamsport (On US-15), the Corning Glass Museum (on US15) and passed within 15-miles of the Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY, when you drove west to I-390.

I hit an elevation of 2140 feet on Rt 15 as I drove over Bloss Mountain, which as I understand it is part of the Alleghany range, or at least used to be:

http://www.tiogapublishing.com/feat...cle_ac80eb3c-7fca-58db-9b77-e257d18c8134.html

I also saw lots of references to Alleghany-this, Alleghany-that along the way. But maybe the purists disagree. I have ridden through the heart of the Alleghenys from Pittsburg to Cumberland MD, but on my bicycle.

And yes, drove right past the Little League in Williamsport (it looked to be closed up) and saw signs for the others. Someday I'd like to visit the Glenn Curtiss museum. :thumb

I hit an elevation of 2140 feet on Rt 15 as I drove over Bloss Mountain, which as I understand it is part of the Alleghany range, or at least used to be:

http://www.tiogapublishing.com/feat...cle_ac80eb3c-7fca-58db-9b77-e257d18c8134.html

I also saw lots of references to Alleghany-this, Alleghany-that along the way. But maybe the purists disagree. I have ridden through the heart of the Alleghenys from Pittsburg to Cumberland MD, but on my bicycle.

And yes, drove right past the Little League in Williamsport (it looked to be closed up) and saw signs for the others. Someday I'd like to visit the Glenn Curtiss museum. :thumb

To the west of Williamsport on I-180, the small Piper Aircraft Museum in Lock Haven, PA is a good visit. That detour from US15, will place you at PA120 which is an excellent run north along the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. North of Renovo, take PA144 North to its intersection with PA44 North. PA44 North crosses US6 at Coudersport. This is a very popular MC ride. The Harley folks like the rather sedate US6 route.

To the east of Corning, near Elmira there's a WW-2 warbird and the National Sailplane Museum. Schweizer Aircraft (gliders) originated in that area.

Of course, north of Corning is Watkins Glen at the southern end of Lake Seneca. At the northern end is Seneca Falls with a National Park Service Interpretive site for the Suffragette movement.

To the west of Williamsport on I-180, the small Piper Aircraft Museum in Lock Haven, PA is a good visit. That detour from US15, will place you at PA120 which is an excellent run north along the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. North of Renovo, take PA144 North to its intersection with PA44 North. PA44 North crosses US6 at Coudersport. This is a very popular MC ride. The Harley folks like the rather sedate US6 route.

To the east of Corning, near Elmira there's a WW-2 warbird and the National Sailplane Museum. Schweizer Aircraft (gliders) originated in that area.

Of course, north of Corning is Watkins Glen at the southern end of Lake Seneca. At the northern end is Seneca Falls with a National Park Service Interpretive site for the Suffragette movement.

Awesome. We are aviation enthusiasts and this is sounding like the beginnings of an aviation museum loop/circuit in central PA and NY. Thanks for the intel! :thumb

Awesome. We are aviation enthusiasts and this is sounding like the beginnings of an aviation museum loop/circuit in central PA and NY. Thanks for the intel! :thumb

Lycoming is still located in Williamsport. The company name comes from the county name. Originally, it was a sewing machine company.

If you ever want to spend an interesting hour or so, drop in at the Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic site. Not far from Altoona on Route 22. Ingenious solutions to early transportation problems.

Man, talk about getting off topic!

If you ever want to spend an interesting hour or so, drop in at the Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic site. Not far from Altoona on Route 22. Ingenious solutions to early transportation problems.

Man, talk about getting off topic!

Beats that information plaque on the top of the Canadian Rockies (Golden, is it?) explaining railroad life before the double loop incline. In summary, before the incline...........the approach was .......... Prayer. However, it does make our "Horseshoe Curve" seem a bit mild.

Relative to the inclines for the canal boats...........the Railroads killed (displaced) the canal systems within 20-yrs of their construction.

Back