• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking to buy or trade up to a LC R1200GS

mafpolo

I have a 2006 R1200GS. It's a really nice bike and well cared for. When I bought the bike I had three bikes, and soon thereafter, my group fell apart (two people moved, two quit riding to play golf, and the only female got married, and her new hubby didn't want her riding with the boys)....so my riding slowed. I only have 5,072 miles on it. I runs like a champ, and I never had a warranty claim....either factory or extended. The bike has been well maintained with service done on time intervals rather than mileage.

Only reason for a new LC bike is want. I would like to have the new toys that come with the newer bike. I am also starting to ride again due to finding new people to ride with.

I have been hunting for a used late model R1200GS. I talked to a dealer yesterday who has what I want. The sales guy politely let me know(without knowing anything about my bike) that the 2006 GS is a POS (not exactly what he said, but it's what he meant), and that it isn't worth much. He offered me the same trade amount that two other dealers offered. But......he had to sales prices....one if I buy the bike without a trade, and another $299 more) if I buy the bike and I trade. I told him I could live with the $4,500 trade value, but not going to be paying them $300 for allowing me the privilege to trade.

I know that the 06 is prone to ABS failure, but I have serviced the ABS per BMW's service instructions. Clutch replacement can be expensive, but clutches mostly fail due to wear. I spoke to a BMW tech on Friday, who told me his '07 has 80,000 miles, and has been tough on his clutch (off road a fair amount), and has never had a clutch problem.

I did not like the way the salesman approached my interest in his bike. He could have simply said, this is the trade number. The only reason I prefer to trade is not having to sell my bike. Is he correct that my bike is "undesirable." It's a lot of bike for $6,000. I keep it cleaned and serviced. I could even just keep it and keep riding. I could also ride it.....buy a LC bike this winter when bikes are lower in price and sell mine next spring. A 2018 is probably going to drop more in price than mine is. Even if not...the difference stays the same.

Input and opinions please

Attachments

• DSC00298_1b_LR.jpg
    DSC00298_1b_LR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
p.s. I also have a Corbin seat and side panniers

The bike also has a Corbin seat and I bought a set of used Vario Side panniers. I have a used BMW top box with back rest coming. I bought the panniers for when I need them....trip. I still have the original BMW Nav II, and the tires have less than a 1,000 miles on them.

Welcome to the forum! One of the moderators will move your post from Airheads to Hexhead/Camhead for better visibility. No need to repost.

Welcome.

These are good bikes, as BMW sorted out a number of issues that the predecessor 1150s had. As for trading or selling, it's the old time v money thing. It's no fun selling pre owned vehicles.

I haven't studied GS prices, but I have an '05 ST with low mileage, and I know it's not worth much. The GS is much more popular, so yours should sell.

Good luck with your purchase, and it would be nice if you could use a different salesman at your dealer.

Thanks

I'm fine riding some more value out of it. I have read of quite a few people who have ridden a lot of miles on an 05 or 06. This wasn't my local dealer. Our local dealer is pretty lousy. We used to have a good BMW Ducati dealer, but the founder sold it, and the next owner couldn't make it work. BMW and Duc gave the dealership to a large bike and rec place....sea doos, polaris, three wheeler, and other bike brands. I pay a premium to an indy shop to work on my bike (followed the techs). I did go over there though, and the sales guy was very polite. They had a factory low bike. Not knowing if there is a big difference, I asked to ride it, and they said policy is no test rides. You buy the bike, and if you return it with 25 miles or less, you get refunded and your cash back.

I'll keep looking. The salesman at the dealership I spoke with yesterday (the one I posted about) said he was "going to work on getting me $4,500 trade value at the non-trade sales price. There are a lot of bikes out there, I'm not in a hurry, and the one I've got runs really nicely. May keep it.

Not knowing if there is a big difference, I asked to ride it, and they said policy is no test rides. You buy the bike, and if you return it with 25 miles or less, you get refunded and your cash back.

Where is this dealership I will wish to avoid?

Maybe it is just me, but a 14 year old motorcycle with 5,000 miles on it, and you want to trade? Pardon me for being blunt, but are you not going to ride the new motorcycle either?

Keep your GS and ride the damned thing!

You already have an ad written, copy it to the classified section to find out what it's really worth. Would have to say, your concern over three hundred dollars difference in your story, seems insignificant compared to how much you'd actually need/ride a motorcycle at any cost. Perhaps you'd put most your miles on the other bikes. However, since your '06 has only 5,000 miles (360 miles a year on average), I'd question the need to spend any $$$ on a "new" bike.

Many years ago I had an acquaintance. He was an attorney who specialized in municipal and corporate bond issues. He rode a pristine R65LS. I say pristine because he only rode it for an hour or two on some Sunday afternoons. I don't remember the mileage on the bike but it was only a few thousand miles.

One day he strode into my office to tell me he had just ordered a new R1100R. I grinned and asked him why in the world he was buying a new bike when his bike had so few miles on it. He grinned back and said, "Because I can."

There are a lot of bikes out there, I'm not in a hurry, and the one I've got runs really nicely. May keep it.

Well the Hexheads are still excellent machines, and quite different from the Wetheads. I bought a new RS last year, but still have my ST.

Many years ago I had an acquaintance. He was an attorney who specialized in municipal and corporate bond issues. He rode a pristine R65LS. I say pristine because he only rode it for an hour or two on some Sunday afternoons. I don't remember the mileage on the bike but it was only a few thousand miles.

One day he strode into my office to tell me he had just ordered a new R1100R. I grinned and asked him why in the world he was buying a new bike when his bike had so few miles on it. He grinned back and said, "Because I can."

Yes. And it doesn't take a successful attorney's level of income to not worry about three hundred dollars one way or the other.

Yes. And apparently neither did he worry about three hundred dollars one way or the other.

You can be absolutely assured that is absolutely true.

To expand a bit, why does anybody need more than one motorcycle? I am now down to three from five; Voni is down to two from five. So why in the world did we each need 5 motorcycles at the same time?

To expand a bit, why does anybody need more than one motorcycle? I am now down to three from five; Voni is down to two from five. So why in the world did we each need 5 motorcycles at the same time?

Because we can. :ha

Because YOU placed it higher on your priority list and YOU could.

To clear up my thoughts, I could care less if the OP just wants a new ride, then go for it. It just seems odd to me that with the few miles that it would make much difference what he is riding.

I have a Yamaha R1. It is comfortable for about 1/2 hour. I took it on a 250 mile round trip once, never again. No windshield to amount to anything, no cruise control, no tunes, no storage and a cramped leg position. I put 5,000 miles on it in three years. I just keep it around because it is fun to ride for a quick blast once in a while. So I understand just having a motorcycle around for the heck of it. I also have a 2016 HD Limited. So two touring bikes in the garage. Can't ride both at the same time, but I still keep it around. I have a couple trips planned with the Harley this summer. The RT might not get far from home this year.

If the OP wants a new bike, fine, but I am not sure for the few miles he rides if it would make a difference what he was riding. Plus his '06 looks like a nice bike yet. If the trade in value bugs him, just sell it privately and buy a new ride. He shouldn't miss not having a bike around for a while until he can replace it.

I know a guy that bought a new Harley and rode it 500 miles in 4-5 years. I mentioned to him he might as well sell it. He won't. He likes riding to the corner pub and back a few times a year. He keeps it washed and waxed and under a cover in his heated garage, on a battery tender, ready to go on a moments notice for the next long ride.

Whats 4500?

My suggestion is try to sell yours for what you want. Not hard to find a used motorcycle especially when you have cash and desire. Do one then the other. No need to link them.

Back