• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do I reset maintenance light after oil change

brhartw

The maintenance light on the dashboard of my 17 RTW is on. I changed oil at 18,000 and now at 20,000 the light stays on.

Rather than run to the dealer, can I reset this my self?

What tools, scanners, I-phone apps might I need?

Thanks for any advice!

You can if you purchase as GS-911 diagnostic tool made explicitly for BMW motorcycles from Hexcode in South Africa, or a Motoscan system and paraphernalia.
Search for those terms in this Forum.

People seem to like the support on the GS911 from Ted Porter’s place. There is a GS911 tutorial in the Wethead sticky that seems to help.
OM

The maintenance light on the dashboard of my 17 RTW is on. I changed oil at 18,000 and now at 20,000 the light stays on.

Thanks for any advice!

If $300 minimum for a tool to reset the oil change indicator seems a little steep, find out if a local club member has a gs911 with unlimited usage and buy him lunch for the 5 minutes of time it takes to reset the light. You will both come out ahead.

If $300 minimum for a tool to reset the oil change indicator seems a little steep, find out if a local club member has a gs911 with unlimited usage and buy him lunch for the 5 minutes of time it takes to reset the light. You will both come out ahead.

Also check the Anonymous Book for your local area. There may be a member that has the GS 911.

Black electrical tape over the service light works even better if all you think you need is a service reminder light to be turned off. Pencil and paper can record when the next service should be, and that's the cheapest of all.

Of course, the real value in investing in a diagnostic tool (not a cheap light switch) is in,... wait for it,... diagnosing problems and/or help in performing some maintenance procedures. Your choice which you actually "need".

Let me refresh your memory. Here is what the OP stated to begin with:
"Rather than run to the dealer, can I reset this my self?"

Read first, post second.

Sorry ... missed that !! Assumed he was just trying to save the dealer cost. Some dealers will do it for free. But he may be a distance from a dealer. :blush

I saw a post awhile back for one of these and the phone problem was solved by buying a cheap used android phone to run the app.

Yes! I just did my 2017 with exactly that. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Ll good suggestions.

I have reached out to a buddy and will stop by the local dealer and see if he can reset as a courtesy.

And, it is a very minimal light and could stay on until the 24K service.

Thanks again!

Thanks for any advice!

I recently got hold of the OBDlink LX adapter an adapter cable from the round connector on my K13GT to the LX reader and the free MotoScan app. I had an old android phone lying around and resurrected it as the diagnostic tool. After connecting all of the devices and firing up the phone with the MotoScan app all that I needed to do was connect the BT from the phone to the LX reader, no problems to report here. Opened the app on the phone and checked the comms diagnostics to verify that the LX was connected and the app was able to talk to it, painless so far. Selected my bike from the menu - I would hazard a guess that the majority of the BMW models are represented - and started digging into the app and its magical wonders. MotoScan is really a solid app, after verifying that the app was able to interface to all of the modules on my bike I was slightly disappointed when it became obvious that I would need to donate some more coin to actually function the various interactive aspects of the app. I chose the ultimate license and got back into the app and went through the modules again and was just gobsmacked by the amount of information the app presented and the numerous functions available to interact with on the bike. Got a little sidetracked and forgot to reset my service reminder. After interacting with the app for a while, and this time resetting my service reminder, I am thinking that this app has been created by some BMW motorrad engineering types. Anyways, all in, I have like $125 in this setup and this is more than an affordable alternative to the GS911 - BT device.

I recently got hold of the OBDlink LX adapter an adapter cable from the round connector on my K13GT to the LX reader and the free MotoScan app. I had an old android phone lying around and resurrected it as the diagnostic tool. After connecting all of the devices and firing up the phone with the MotoScan app all that I needed to do was connect the BT from the phone to the LX reader, no problems to report here. Opened the app on the phone and checked the comms diagnostics to verify that the LX was connected and the app was able to talk to it, painless so far. Selected my bike from the menu - I would hazard a guess that the majority of the BMW models are represented - and started digging into the app and its magical wonders. MotoScan is really a solid app, after verifying that the app was able to interface to all of the modules on my bike I was slightly disappointed when it became obvious that I would need to donate some more coin to actually function the various interactive aspects of the app. I chose the ultimate license and got back into the app and went through the modules again and was just gobsmacked by the amount of information the app presented and the numerous functions available to interact with on the bike. Got a little sidetracked and forgot to reset my service reminder. After interacting with the app for a while, and this time resetting my service reminder, I am thinking that this app has been created by some BMW motorrad engineering types. Anyways, all in, I have like $125 in this setup and this is more than an affordable alternative to the GS911 - BT device.

I didn't go all the way in to purchase the option for resetting the service lights (I wanted to read fault codes), but the MotoScan software and the OBDLink LX worked for me. For those owners with a 2017 or newer ride, the OBDLink LX plugs directly to the dataport, eliminating the need to purchase the round to rectangular connector cable (a ~$20 savings). I used the MotoScan software on an old Amazon Fire tablet.

The GS911 seems like a great tool, but MotoScan options works for the casual user. In addition, with the OBDLink unit, you have a tool for your car/truck.

As a guy that lives 240 miles from a dealer, I have service reminder lights on both of my bikes that I just flat out ignore. But I'm curious, those of you with the right equipment, is it possible to go in and just disable the reminder function? To me that would be the ticket.

As a guy that lives 240 miles from a dealer, I have service reminder lights on both of my bikes that I just flat out ignore. But I'm curious, those of you with the right equipment, is it possible to go in and just disable the reminder function? To me that would be the ticket.

I thought I would be able to put in a high mileage number but that did not work.
I usually set it for a mileage number higher than what I will ride in a year.

I think the service reminder indicator is also based on date, not just mileage.
That's correct and it seems like the GS911 would not let me set that to a long period of time like 5 years.

Back