• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Arrow Exhaust for RT?

stooie

Does anybody have experience with the Arrow exhaust on an RT? I'd love to hear your comments.

I'm starting this thread not so much because I have a desperate problem to "fix" as to kill some time. With our state now officially shut down it appears that I won't be doing much riding in the next few months.

Background:

I rate the chromed exhaust on my '18 RT as a "C". To my eye the wonky overinflated tapered shape is poor. The exhaust note is not offensive but certainly isn't soul-stirring to my ear. (Note: Your tastes for both looks and tone may differ. That's fine, peace be unto you.) I stumbled on the Arrow exhaust for the RT at Revzilla. I rather like the looks of it in black for my black RT.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/arrow-maxi-race-tech-slip-on-exhaust-bmw-r1200rt-2014-2018

https://www.arrow.it/en/assembled/1443/BMW-R-1200-RT-2014-2016

My two previous bikes were an 06 Honda VFR800 and a 15 Yamaha FJR. I'd rate the VFR's exhaust as A+ for both looks and tone. When the VTEC opened up all four valves above 7,000 rpm the sound was like angels singing.

2007-Honda-InterceptorVFR800FIb.jpg

By contrast, I'd rate the FJR's exhaust a "D". In both looks and tone it had all the charm of something you'd find on an Allis-Chalmers tractor. I put a pair of Yoshimira's on. I was pleased with both the appearance and the tone. I left the Db killers in; I was looking to improve tone, not increase volume.

FJR.jpeg

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
As a former A-C employee, I'm not sure I understand your comment.

Tractors are for work. Function over form. The FJR, and especially the FJR exhaust is form over function.

Look at the photos. One exhaust (Honda) allows a full bag on both sides: function. One exhaust doesn't (FJR). Even my uncles old Allis had room for the tool box. :)

36654:

No slight was intended towards Allis-Chalmers. I picked them at random and could just as well used John Deere or New Holland. The point I intended to make was that tractor exhausts don't excite me either with their looks or their tone. I doubt that tractor manufacturers spend much time or money in their exhaust design trying to produce either a euphonious tone or inspiring shape.

Paul G.:

I respectfully part ways with you about the FJR exhaust and panniers.

The reason I rarely rode with the panniers on the FJR was that the top of them was critically about one inch higher than those on the RT. With them on I would accidentally kick them nearly every time I got on or off the bike. The RT's being lower, I hit them only occasionally. As far as I recall the panniers were the same size on both sides, unlike some bikes with a single side exhaust where the bag on that side is smaller.

If Yamaha was going for style with their stock FJR exhaust one man's opinion is they missed. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder but I think the Yoshimuras shown in the photo are much more handsome.

Ride long and prosper!

36654:

The reason I rarely rode with the panniers on the FJR was that the top of them was critically about one inch higher than those on the RT. With them on I would accidentally kick them nearly every time I got on or off the bike.

Just more form over function. :scratch

Paul G:

I've got to concede on that point. Also a minor annoyance with the FJR's panniers was that they needed to be about one inch wider to accommodate my helmet with the Senna bluetooth unit on it. Admittedly this is a "first world problem" as the Senna snaps on and off in less than two seconds.

My helmet fits in the RT's pannier with room to spare.

Paul G:

I've got to concede on that point. Also a minor annoyance with the FJR's panniers was that they needed to be about one inch wider to accommodate my helmet with the Senna bluetooth unit on it. Admittedly this is a "first world problem" as the Senna snaps on and off in less than two seconds.

My helmet fits in the RT's pannier with room to spare.

Don't think I'm knocking the FJR. They are, I am told, wonderful bikes. And BMW has its own form/function issues. But ... we've owned 24 or 25 BMWs and no FJRs so I am not an expert on them.

Paul:

No offense taken.

The FJR and RT are in the same market niche. While there are rational reasons for preferring one over the other I would have a hard time understanding someone who liked one and hated the other.

I voted with my dollars and traded in the FJR on the RT. I'm delighted that I did; I love the RT. Nevertheless it was with real trepidation that I did the deal as i truly enjoyed the FJR. As I rode it to the dealer I kept patting it on the tank and telling it that it was a great bike.

Back