• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Breaker - Breaker -One - Five

I definitely do!

Paul was "The Plainsman" and I was "Lady Godiva"

Voni
sMiling

Mail orders and COD..............those are terms from the "way-back" machine.

Of course, I did have a car dealer ask for a certified check a few months ago. Talk about a PITA in this day and age of on-line banking. IIRC, 10 business days was the ETA.

CB radios are unfortunately something that is looked at as outdated an goofy. Unfortunately, most first responder radio systems are very fragile......anyone remember Hurricane Katrina?
CB radio may be “quaint”, but they are simple and reliable.
OM

CB radios are unfortunately something that is looked at as outdated an goofy. Unfortunately, most first responder radio systems are very fragile......anyone remember Hurricane Katrina?
CB radio may be “quaint”, but they are simple and reliable.
OM

Within their limited range and too-loose user protocols, useful. But when the thin veneer of civilization fractures, it won’t be the hoarders and preppers who will be sought out as leaders; it will be the folks with hand held ham units. They aren’t a great deal more rare than CB in this day and age, and allow a reach beyond the immediate impact zone.
;)

Best,
DeVern

Within their limited range and too-loose user protocols, useful. But when the thin veneer of civilization fractures, it won’t be the hoarders and preppers who will be sought out as leaders; it will be the folks with hand held ham units. They aren’t a great deal more rare than CB in this day and age, and allow a reach beyond the immediate impact zone.
;)

Best,
DeVern

Yeah, I’m an Amateur Radio Operator (Ham). Was trying to stay on the CB track.
OM

Got a couple of messages to wife with HAM during Vietnam 50 years ago. They didn't arrive in same format/syntax as originated, but they conveyed my thinking of her.

Got a couple of messages to wife with HAM during Vietnam 50 years ago. They didn't arrive in same format/syntax as originated, but they conveyed my thinking of her.

You might remember seeing “Slinky’s”? Field use/expedience from those “in the field”.
OM

I bought my first CB in 1973 it was a Siltronix & it had a few extra channels. I couldn't think of a handle & one of my friends started calling me saddleman. I have post cards from overseas when at night we would get addresses over the airwaves.

Just curious, can you listen to CB Radios on the internet ? Gonna start searching now.

(Been a while, but most of my life I “listened” to Short Wave radio after starting out with a crystal AM Radio)

Charlie

Just curious, can you listen to CB Radios on the internet ? Gonna start searching now.

(Been a while, but most of my life I “listened” to Short Wave radio after starting out with a crystal AM Radio)

Charlie

I don’t know on CB via the internet. Here in the Northeast, CB radio activity is very sparse. I’m told out West, there is still activity with a “hardcore” group still having long distance “shoot-outs” running very high power equipment.

Distance of radio communications is dependent on atmospheric conditions and when we used to actually have “sun spot” cycles, while you weren’t supposed to, it allowed CB operators to talk all over the country....and sometimes the world.
Channel 19 is still the “highway/trucker” frequency so I would start there, especially if you are near a highway. Warehouse areas still use CB for yard communication as well.
OM

My dad was an active Ham when he was alive. He organized many emergency communication stations with fellow Hams during emergencies such as tornadoes. He established a network of hams who were trained weather spotters and maintained an emergency radio station in a firehouse near the house. When he passed away a few years back they named that radio station after him. It's a fascinating hobby that I wish I would have gotten more involved. Now you don't need to learn morse code to get a license.

When I was flying, we would mess with truckers when we were bored. The HF radio on military aircraft would go in the CB range (up near 27MHz), when flying over the middle of the country we'd key up and talk to the truckers. Of course, a few hundred watts of power at 30k ft elevation would PEG their power meter which made them wonder where we were. The good ol days

Back