• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speed limits have gone metric...in Motorrad App

In cycling, there's the "century", a 100 mile ride, the "metric century", which is 100km or 62 miles, and then there are the "double century" of 200 miles and the "double metric century" of 200km or about 125 miles.

Even though there might be metric mileage measurement, here in the US, it feels like elevation gain is always expressed in feet.

Well, measuring elevation gains in meters would be a big letdown relative to the effort expended.

Bicycle wheels/tires are often referred to in inches, but the underlying standards are milimeters (rather prime numbers at that). And gear ratios are usually measured in inches. Most bicycle measurements are in mm, but head tubes/steerer tubes are in inches, as with pedal axle threads and most common bottom bracket threads. In short bicycle standards have been a mixed bag for a long time.

Even though there might be metric mileage measurement, here in the US, it feels like elevation gain is always expressed in feet.

Probably an aviation crossover, even metric countries measure altitude “usually” in feet, depends on the nature of the source. Don’t get me started on measurements in cherubs and angels.

What exactly is this Motorcycle App and what does it do.

MOTTORAD APP... it locates a suitable and willing pillion for you that's "friendly" and cooperative in new motorcycle purchases.
Quite handy but also expensive in the long run.

What exactly is this Motorcycle App and what does it do.

All kidding aside, it is an app that interfaces from your smart phone to the bike, recording rides and technical data like, ABS activation, lean angle, speed, outside temperature, MSL acceleration and deceleration G forces. Photos from rides can be attached to ride data; it also pulls milage information from your bike letting you know when your next service is due, it can even find the closes dealer and pull up their contact info and address, it has imbedded links to Motorrad pages that allow you to download the riders manual.

And then if that were not enough, you can download maps and use the app as a GPS porting via Bluetooth/WIFI moving maps with route and traffic information to your TFT.

Chase and quoins, Monotype.

I tip my hat to your nimble fingers and hope your eyesight has held out!

I was exposed to that briefly in the 1970s, when linotype was pretty much the mainstay but already planned for phaseout by the local publishing house that was looking ahead at a computerized future. But, some ad copy was still hand-set and composed. I was impressed by the speed and accuracy some of those setters achieved.

Best,
DeVern
(Apologizing for the thread drift)

Update: as of today, an app bug fix has been issued by BMW to update your app through the App Store. I have updated my app and test rode the bike, speed limits are now displayed in mph again. Turns out there was nothing we could do to troubleshoot and fix the problem, it was on their end to fix. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Update: as of today, an app bug fix has been issued by BMW to update your app through the App Store. I have updated my app and test rode the bike, speed limits are now displayed in mph again. Turns out there was nothing we could do to troubleshoot and fix the problem, it was on their end to fix. Thanks to all who tried to help.
Nice to have the follow up Reece. :thumb
OM

Thanks for that update.
I just updated the app and immediately took the bike around the neighbourhood and indeed things are back to normal. Speeds are back to MPH.

I’m assuming angels weren’t singing in your headset like they were in mine, I think it was the hallelujah chorus.

Back