• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speed limits have gone metric...in Motorrad App

rangerreece

RangerReece
Well, post injury and I’ve started riding this week after a five week hiatus, and one thing I’ve noticed is that the speed limits on the navigation page displayed through the Motorrad app have gone to km/h which… as it turns out is more annoying than I thought it would be.

Has anyone seen this, know the cause, found a solution?

I suspect it’s a map database error in the latest download (I downloaded yesterday) all the settings in both the app and on the bike are on mph.

FYI first time I think I actually asked a technical question in the forums… feels kind of weird; any advice or knowledge on this issue would be appreciated.

BMW Connected Ride App Malfunction

Yes, I am also experiencing the error as the App is incorrectly displating kilometers in the speed limit box on the TFT.

This error seems to be related to the recent download of state maps in the App.

I wrote to BMW through the connectedride@bmw.com e-mail address. I've received a response from BMW that they received my e-mail and their support team is working on the problem.

My hunch is that a App update will be available sometime in January. In the meantime, I've just switched off the display so I won't be bothered.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks Boborgail…

I suspected as much, just wanted to check in to see if anyone else had contacted. BMW NA yet.

Regarding metric verses SAE: guys I’m in the military, I’ve been using metric, and other forms of measurement my whole life. My current aircraft performance planning information has entries for both metric and pounds for weight information.

The BK117 C2 that I fly, the fuel gauge can be set to liters, kilograms, gallons, pounds, or imperial pounds… don’t get me started on temps and pressures, on VEMD LANE 2.

When we run up we set all the displays to match. I’ve considered adjusting my speed to km/ph to match the speed limit, but the bike doesn’t have that function.

Knowing what my legal speed limit is can be important. Knowing that it’s in mph and having it arbitrarily change to kilometers per hour without my input would be difficult to explain to the cop.

After my ride yesterday I have a few conversions memorized:
70mph=119kph
55mph=88kph
45mph=72kph

Yes, I am metric SAE bilingual.

Last edited:
I'm with BC, Let the US totally switch to metric. That will be excellent and I will have no idea what a 2" by 4" is anymore.:ha

I think the whole world should go on Z time also, and when are we going to update WGS84, I mean, come on… 1984, that’s the best we can do?

Metric versus standard

The politics of why the US didn't adopt the metric standard way back when not withstanding, I continually view my speed when I conduct my sweep of rear view mirrors, peripheral views, and dash info and back to the road ahead. It is very annoying to not be able to see my speed in mph when the standard around me is in mph. While in CA, or Europe, the NAV VI automatically recalcs, a nice feature. I'm sure BMW will fix the glitch, but it does give a glimmer of where the future may be going, with control. Another hint of that is in the absence of workshop manuals. I've always swam upstream since I was old enough to know I was a bit different. I don't like being controlled or dictated to, which has caused me some grief throughout my life, but I wouldn't change a thing. Anyway, I digress. Hopefully it gets fixed so when Reece leads us on another fab ride at the next opportunity, the April Fontana Getaway, the BMW Ride APP on his big 10" screen will take us down a nice road...

reece-scott-glen_apr23.jpg

Here we are on one of those rides. There are so many fab roads around Fontana that the riding rivals the fellowship of the weekend. Definitely worth it. I'm the inseam challenged one....

To OP, are you using a IPhone? There is a known bug that is only on the iPhones with the latest update.

My Android displays things correctly.

That would be very helpful.....

to the rest of us. :D

I’m metrically challenged but a good guesser for size realizing what the best chance the item I’m working on uses as their standard. With 10mm seeming to be big in the metric world, I’m halfway there. :groovy

OM

BTW, let’s try to not forget about the OP’s original problem……and a cure. :)

I’m metrically challenged but a good guesser for size realizing what the best chance the item I’m working on uses as their standard. With 10mm seeming to be big in the metric world, I’m halfway there. :groovy

For many years BMW used many 10mm, 13mm and 17mm wrench size fasteners while Japanese manufacturers were inclined to use many 12mm, 14mm and 16 or 18mm wrench size fasteners. With more globalization and Chinese and Indian components I now find 12mm and 14 mm sizes more common on BMWs. And just for grins - most automotive lug nuts take 11/16" or 3/4" sockets; neither works on my 1014 Ford Focus which requires - wait for it - a 20mm wrench. A standard 4 way cross lug nut wrench won't fit correctly at all. That is among the things a person learns the hard way.

Back